• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Discussion: FCC Advisory on Two-Way VHF/UHF Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"The Enforcement Bureau (Bureau) of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has observed that a growing number of conventional retailers and websites advertise and sell low-cost, two-way VHF/UHF radios that do not comply with the FCC’s rules. Such devices are used primarily for short-distance, two-way voice communications and are frequently imported into the United States. These radios must be authorized by the FCC prior to being imported, advertised, sold, or operated in the United States.

Many of these radios violate one or more FCC technical requirements. For example, some can be modified to transmit on public safety and other land mobile channels for which they are not authorized, while others are capable of prohibited wideband operations. Such radios are illegal, and many have the potential to negatively affect public safety, aviation, and other operations by Federal, state, and local agencies, as well as private users. Because these devices must be, but have not been, authorized by the FCC, the devices may not be imported into the United States, retailers may not advertise or sell them, and no one may use them."

Full text of the advisory can be found here: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
"The Enforcement Bureau (Bureau) of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has observed that a growing number of conventional retailers and websites advertise and sell low-cost, two-way VHF/UHF radios that do not comply with the FCC’s rules. Such devices are used primarily for short-distance, two-way voice communications and are frequently imported into the United States. These radios must be authorized by the FCC prior to being imported, advertised, sold, or operated in the United States.

Many of these radios violate one or more FCC technical requirements. For example, some can be modified to transmit on public safety and other land mobile channels for which they are not authorized, while others are capable of prohibited wideband operations. Such radios are illegal, and many have the potential to negatively affect public safety, aviation, and other operations by Federal, state, and local agencies, as well as private users. Because these devices must be, but have not been, authorized by the FCC, the devices may not be imported into the United States, retailers may not advertise or sell them, and no one may use them."

Full text of the advisory can be found here: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf
This was posted earlier today
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=377116&share_fid=15920&share_type=t

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Well, we can close the barn door now that millions of those mutant creatures have already crossed the shores.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Most of the stuff they explain as being illegal was illegal already. (ie using non type accepted radios for certain services like GMRS and FRS). But it seems the big thing is that they're dropping the hammer on importation and sale.

I wonder if this has something to do with the US trade ware on China.. (Baofeng and others will probably be hurting over this one). Or, perhaps they were simply getting too many complaints of interference from out of band operators. Interesting...

RFI-EMI-GUY

The telecom industry complained to the FCC about this many months before the silly trade war. In my opinion the FCC was either asleep at the wheel or the AMCREST/Baofeng cartel are politically connected. How many years has this nonsense been going on?
Most of the stuff they explain as being illegal was illegal already. (ie using non type accepted radios for certain services like GMRS and FRS). But it seems the big thing is that they're dropping the hammer on importation and sale.

I wonder if this has something to do with the US trade ware on China.. (Baofeng and others will probably be hurting over this one). Or, perhaps they were simply getting too many complaints of interference from out of band operators. Interesting...

n1das

Baofeng (and China for that matter) won't be hurt by the US trade war with China. We (the USA) will be hurt by it the most, something the current administration doesn't (or can't) understand (or doesn't care).

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

n1das

The telecom industry complained to the FCC about this many months before the silly trade war. In my opinion the FCC was either asleep at the wheel or the AMCREST/Baofeng cartel are politically connected. How many years has this nonsense been going on?

It's going on for years. The problem is nobody inside the FCC has been checking (until now).

n1das

Good thing I ordered mine yesterday.
I'm sort of tempted to go on a buying spree and buy what I can while I can. OTOH I probably won't do that because the CCRs are such cr@p to begin with and you get what you pay for.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
In my opinion the FCC was either asleep at the wheel or the AMCREST/Baofeng cartel are politically connected. How many years has this nonsense been going on?
Until the EB gets the FTC/ICE to act and say, serve Amazon and Ebay with "cease and desist" or raid an Amazon warehouse and confiscate these turd radios and makes a big public spectacle, this EB "notice" is a paper tiger with no teeth.

n1das

That doesn't mean you'll get it, though.
What KK4JUG said. They may get held up at the port of entry by Customs until the manufacturer provides documentation showing compliance with FCC rules and regs.

n1das

When I ordered a Baofeng UV5R online a couple of years ago, the Customs declaration form on the package listed the contents simply as a "toy" instead of what was really in the package.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
What KK4JUG said. They may get held up at the port of entry by Customs until the manufacturer provides documentation showing compliance with FCC rules and regs.

Even if they've already crossed the pond, it may still be too late. The advisory said they can't be sold, either.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I'm sort of tempted to go on a buying spree and buy what I can while I can. OTOH I probably won't do that because the CCRs are such cr@p to begin with and you get what you pay for.

There are so many better ways to spend that money, good rum, a nice meal.

nd5y

They may get held up at the port of entry by Customs until the manufacturer provides documentation showing compliance with FCC rules and regs.
The FCC advisory says these radios are illegal but they granted Part 90 certification or Part 15 certification as a scanning receivers to several models from several manufacturers. Can Customs do anything if a radio has an FCC ID and proper labeling?

n1das

Even if they've already crossed the pond, it may still be too late. The advisory said they can't be sold, either.
Yep. Impounded at the port of entry until proper documentation is shown. Doesn't matter what the product is. In the case of the CCRs the manufacturers probably won't have any documentation to show or will be incomplete at best.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Until the EB gets the FTC/ICE to act and say, serve Amazon and Ebay with "cease and desist" or raid an Amazon warehouse and confiscate these turd radios and makes a big public spectacle, this EB "notice" is a paper tiger with no teeth.

My only concern is with over reaction by e-bay. They will likely ban everything with the word "radio" in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.