"Respond on PS_" after dispatch call

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishismyname

Hello, I'm scanning analog channels with a WS1010 in New Hanover County, NC. I hear "respond on PS_" at the end of EMS dispatch calls, but for the life of me I can't figure out what these PS channels are. Yes, I'm new to this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

n0nhp

I don't know the area, however I have heard the PS shorthand used for a telephone call. Those calls often involve sensitive information or the suspicion that a scanner may be in use at the location of the call.
On the EMS channels it is often used due to HIPAA requirements that no patient specific information is broadcast over open channels.

PS = Public Service. Why that term became used for a telephone or more specifically a land-line (when the term came into effect) I could not tell you.

Bruce

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I'm scanning analog channels with a WS1010 in New Hanover County, NC. I hear "respond on PS_" at the end of EMS dispatch calls, but for the life of me I can't figure out what these PS channels are. Yes, I'm new to this.

Actually in most places here in NC it is short hand for "Public Safety" ie PS TAC 15 is Public Safety TAC 15. He is probably hearing the initial alert for a FD & EMS call.

Marshall KE4ZNR

troymail

Silent Key
Marshall got it right -- there is a list of "PS" talkgroups for generic use in New Hanover.

New Hanover just uses the term "PS" (public safety) vs. "TAC" that is used in many other places.

irishismyname

Yes, I am hearing the initial dispatch alert. So how do you figure out what those channels are? I've tried performing a sweep right after those calls but I can't seem to catch anything.

irishismyname

When you say talk groups that makes me think its digital & trunked, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.