BCD 536 HP and WiFi dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I am now considering the purchase of the 536 now the price has drop a little bit. I always liked the the thought of being able to control the scanner with a phone app. I watched the original video from the upman. He mentioned of things to come , of course that video was from back in the day. The one question I have an can’t find the answer is, can I listen to my scanner when I’m away from my house using the siren app ? If so is it easy or does it take some computer know how ?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am now considering the purchase of the 536 now the price has drop a little bit. I always liked the the thought of being able to control the scanner with a phone app. I watched the original video from the upman. He mentioned of things to come , of course that video was from back in the day. The one question I have an can’t find the answer is, can I listen to my scanner when I’m away from my house using the siren app ? If so is it easy or does it take some computer know how ?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need a third party streaming app. The SIREN dongle only works through your WIFI LAN or as a stand alone AP such as used in a vehicle.

That said if listening to digital trunk systems is what you seek, it is a good receiver for that.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

NYRHKY94

Fireboat61:

As correctly noted above by RFI-EMI-GUY, Siren will not work for what you want to do. You can "listen & remote control" the BCD536HP from outside of your home network using ProScan software. That is what I do with my unit using the Wifi feature. You can download a fully functioning 30-Day free trial of ProScan from their web site here: https://www.proscan.org.

On the lower right hand side of the web site home page you will see two different tutorials I wrote to help BCD536HP users set-up their radios so they can listen & remotely control it outside of their home network. Both methods will require knowledge of computers and home networks, along with understanding how to properly configure ProScan itself.

Hope this is helpful. P.S. I am not affiliated with or work for ProScan. I am just a user & fan of the software and it's author who is a regular member/contributor on Radio Reference.

RFI-EMI-GUY

also note that SIREN APP does NOT work on newer android phones.
Does that apply to Samsung tablets? I have upgraded and put off reinstalling in this tablet. What firmware is supported?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Does that apply to Samsung tablets? I have upgraded and put off reinstalling in this tablet. What firmware is supported?

It worked on my Samsung S7 Edge till they upgraded the OS. I think anything after 7 it causes all kinds of issues. It doesn't work on my Note 9. So android ver 6 should work but anything after that version causes crashes to the OS

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

woodpecker

You need a third party streaming app. The SIREN dongle only works through your WIFI LAN or as a stand alone AP such as used in a vehicle.

That said if listening to digital trunk systems is what you seek, it is a good receiver for that.

You can listen to it outside your home network but you'll need to setup a VPN back to it, its quite easy to do if you have any networking knowledge.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
You can listen to it outside your home network but you'll need to setup a VPN back to it, its quite easy to do if you have any networking knowledge.

Perhaps you can go into more detail and explain how to do it instead "its quite easy to do if you have any networking knowledge"

woodpecker

Perhaps you can go into more detail and explain how to do it instead "its quite easy to do if you have any networking knowledge"

I run OpenVPN server on a web server and use a router with OpenWRT / OpenVPN client, I can connect back to the home network from anywhere and access the local IPs as if I was on the home lan.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It worked on my Samsung S7 Edge till they upgraded the OS. I think anything after 7 it causes all kinds of issues. It doesn't work on my Note 9. So android ver 6 should work but anything after that version causes crashes to the OS

Has anyone contacted Uniden about this problem?

Is this a memory problem?

I am using Android 7.1.1 on my current tablet and want to install the Siren App. I just sold off my older tablet that had the App working,

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Has anyone contacted Uniden about this problem?

Is this a memory problem?

I am using Android 7.1.1 on my current tablet and want to install the Siren App. I just sold off my older tablet that had the App working,

You can try it but if you start getting crashes in the OS or in other APPs then it us Siren causing the issue. I doubt Uniden even cares about the App any longer. People have called about the issue but they (Uniden) don't seem to know what the Siren App is. They just keep asking what Uniden product they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.