• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

WiFi Bridge, Router and AP for my personal vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Looking for some advice on how to do this. I would like to do this on a budget. So surplus stuff from e-bay is my go to. I see product that has been surplused from Public Safety that might fit the bill, but don't want to get into something proprietary and missing the secret sauce (software).

I have Spectrum cable/internet. They have hot spots throughout my town. Not contiguous hot spots, but quite a few. I would like some sort of WiFi Bridge in my car that will promiscuously and automatically connect to those hot spots using my log in and password.

Secondly I would like a Verizon 4G modem that I can use as a back up when the WiFi is out of range. (least cost routing)

Finally, the LAN port of this will be used to provide a WiFi AP so that when I am in vicinity of my car (inside a building lacking WiFi) I can use my tablet or laptop. A secondary use of the LAN port would be to provide a UHF hot spot for ALLSTAR or similar.

The WiFi bridge is the item that concerns me the most. I don't want a PC running in the car or any elaborate programming. So I need a WiFi bridge that can make the connections without intervention.

Any ideas? I am sure this has been done before.

Edit, my use of promiscuous mode is probably incorrect. I simply want the bridge to connect with any of the Spectrum WIFI hot spots automatically and to authenticate without my needing to intervene.

Last edited:

candlercoso

Feed Provider
You may want to look into cradlepoint’s (IBR) mobile series. We have several of these deployed in the field. They will do what you described, as they will pick up on predefined AP’s based on priority. If they do not meet the defined threshold, they switch over to the multi carrier LTE ports (2 sim slots).

RFI-EMI-GUY

You may want to look into cradlepoint’s (IBR) mobile series. We have several of these deployed in the field. They will do what you described, as they will pick up on predefined AP’s based on priority. If they do not meet the defined threshold, they switch over to the multi carrier LTE ports (2 sim slots).
Is this the "WiFi as WAN" feature? Are there any specific older models you can recommend that do this and have 4G as well?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Are you using from "public" hotspots like Spectrum or is it a WiFi system you control?
I'd second the CradlePoint units.

We're using them pretty much exactly like this.

Are there any things with setting this up that I should know? I haven't tried connecting to these spots with my tablet yet.

I know with some "free hot spots" you must navigate your browser to a webpage and agree to terms and conditions. If Spectrum requires that, is it going to thwart my efforts?

Last edited:

candlercoso

Feed Provider
Yes I’m referring to the WiFi as wan setting for part of our setup. We do not use public WiFi in our setups, as they are not secure networks for public safety applications. However, I see tons of public WiFi points that pop up on the reports as they drive by them. I haven’t tried to use the public side.

As far as setup, we had to add each of our WiFi fixed connection points one by one and per MAC address for the location dependent points. (Mobile video uplink and surveillance systems). The regular lan connection points were added system wide with the switching setup already in place between them.

Depending on the telecom setup with the public WiFi, you may have a tedious setup. If the switching doesn’t transfer from ap to ap, you may have to add each individual ap in the cradlepoint.

Hope this helps you.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I guess it would not be too much trouble to manually add the AP points in town, however, I would have no way to get a MAC address as they are in private businesses. Spectrum turns on the "public" hotspots in the modems they furnish to certain businesses.

Yes I’m referring to the WiFi as wan setting for part of our setup. We do not use public WiFi in our setups, as they are not secure networks for public safety applications. However, I see tons of public WiFi points that pop up on the reports as they drive by them. I haven’t tried to use the public side.

As far as setup, we had to add each of our WiFi fixed connection points one by one and per MAC address for the location dependent points. (Mobile video uplink and surveillance systems). The regular lan connection points were added system wide with the switching setup already in place between them.

Depending on the telecom setup with the public WiFi, you may have a tedious setup. If the switching doesn’t transfer from ap to ap, you may have to add each individual ap in the cradlepoint.

Hope this helps you.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I would have no way to get a MAC address as they are in private businesses. Spectrum turns on the "public" hotspots in the modems they furnish to certain businesses.
You can get this over the air as they broadcast their presence.
If you have an Android device, download Wifi Analyzer and see what I mean.

Edit: I "third" the recommendation for Cradlepoint. I have not used them as you are indicating, but I have used them a lot and they have all sorts of configurable options.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are you using from "public" hotspots like Spectrum or is it a WiFi system you control?

WiFi we control.

Are there any things with setting this up that I should know? I haven't tried connecting to these spots with my tablet yet.

I don't know. The PD IT person set them up. They use our WiFi network, and when out of range of those, switch over to Verizon (right now) and FirstNet (likely in the near future)

I know with some "free hot spots" you must navigate your browser to a webpage and agree to terms and conditions. If Spectrum requires that, is it going to thwart my efforts?

I don't know the answer to that.
Might call Spectrum and see if they have a service where it will automatically authorize based off the MAC address.

sfd119

Cradlepoint IBR600s can be found online for pretty cheap. They can do Wifi as WAN and you can configure multiple SSIDs to pick them up.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Check out mikrotik’s routerboards. If you already have a LTE card and it’s supported by router OS, you could build your solution for about $150 new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using Mikrotik for almost 20 years, they are widely used in the WISP community.
They are not as plug and play as consumer gear but have tons of features and performance advantages.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber

Likely yes. I use Comcast and from what I understand, they all use a similar setup (you can even login to the Comcast network with other cable companies credentials and vise versa) and its a captive portal system for the initial connection (though automatic afterwards but sometimes you have to redo the setup).

I think what you want is remotely possible but you will probably spend more time fixing it than using it.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
You’re best option may be (if you feel like getting dirty) is a raspberry pi, a couple of WiFi dongles, a DMR hotspot hat for the pi and a LTE modem with Ethernet port (so you’re not messing with modem drivers in Linux and allows for external antennas.). The pi will handle all the data routing (with some work). They also make single antenna clusters for cars that has every antenna you need, packed into a single hole.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You’re best option may be (if you feel like getting dirty) is a raspberry pi, a couple of WiFi dongles, a DMR hotspot hat for the pi and a LTE modem with Ethernet port (so you’re not messing with modem drivers in Linux and allows for external antennas.). The pi will handle all the data routing (with some work). They also make single antenna clusters for cars that has every antenna you need, packed into a single hole.
Thanks. I do want it to be off the shelf as it has to work reliably in a car at 99 F temperatures, and the packaging could be a hassle. Plus the pi sounds like a lot of work learning yet another skill! Good idea on the antennas. There will definately be a bunch of holes required.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am going to do some initial "war driving" to see how well this will work using a laptop.
Likely yes. I use Comcast and from what I understand, they all use a similar setup (you can even login to the Comcast network with other cable companies credentials and vise versa) and its a captive portal system for the initial connection (though automatic afterwards but sometimes you have to redo the setup).

I think what you want is remotely possible but you will probably spend more time fixing it than using it.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Another vote for Mikrotik products.

RFI-EMI-GUY, check out the Mikrotik RB-M33G. Couple that with an AP of your choice, a low cost $20 AC card and LTE card and you'd be set on the hardware minus the enclosure and antenna peripherals. 12V-32V DC input. There are some easy to follow guides for setting up route/interface fail-over (wireless fail, go to LTE type).

Status
Not open for further replies.