Good Phoenix frequencies for listen only uhf/vhf

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedneckHippy

I have a baofeng BF-UV5R coming my way. It's my first amateur radio so starting off easy. I'll be in listen mode only for awhile until I get a license.

If I tune to local repeaters in Phoenix will I be able to listen to traffic to get a feel for the amateur radio vibe and TTP's?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to ask the mods to move your post over to the AZ forum as I'm sure you'll get a lot more help with what there is to listen to there. Just by looking in the database it appears theres a bunch of stuff there that you wont be able to monitor with your radio as it's on trunked systems if you have any want to listen to public safety. However it also appears that there is also a lot of it still analog conventional so you're good there. As far as amateur radio stuff someone local will be much more helpful in telling
you what is actually active and what is "active" on paper. I'm sure there's plenty of 70cm and 2 meter repeaters being such a busy city. For amateur radio you can start with what's in the database here or check out some online repeater guides. Happy listening and welcome to RR.

RedneckHippy

Thx! I'm not interested in the public safety stuff that much because I use brodcastify for that and I have all the frequencies for those should I need to program them into my radio. It's more the amateur radio I'm interested in. Thx again!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I would check out repeaterbook.com and see what they show close to you. Keep in mind though just because they list it doesnt mean it's still accurate or an active repeater. There are a lot of ghost machines in some places. You may also check mygmrs.com. It's not amateur radio but some areas have some very active GMRS repeaters that often have guys who are also hams on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.