North Carolina State Fair Broadcast Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just to let everyone know, I've submitted an application this morning to have a temporary feed for the NC State Fair. The feed, if approved, will be operational October 8-22, 2018 to include setup and tear down. Once the feed is approved and setup I'll post a link here.

Though I'm too far away to get simplex channels (mostly business band which you can not put on the feed) I will include the Viper Event talkgroups and Viper Fairgrounds talkgroups being used and the Wake TRS Event channels the fairgrounds sometimes utilize.

If anyone ( **Marshall :)** ) has information on this years talkgroups and actual usage please let me know on here or in PM. Otherwise, I'll be using past information, talkgroups I've heard before, and what I hear on the opening days of the fair. I'll modify the talkgroups being broadcast as needed.

You can find find a copy of traffic posts, that has remained accurate through the years, at:
https://qsl.net/ke4znr/NCFair/NCSHPStateFairPost.pdf

State Fair Official Website: 2018 N.C. State Fair - Nothing Could Be Finer!
Stae Fair Map and Directions: 2018 N.C. State Fair - Nothing Could Be Finer!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
NC State Fair Feed Denied by Radio Reference

Unfortunately, Radio Reference has denied my application to provide a feed for the fair.

Despite the fact that I have, in years past, been approved to broadcast these comms, RR feels that my request is "not in keeping with the kinds of feeds (they) host" and "wouldn't provide much, if any, value to the majority (or all listeners)."

I have asked Richard Tidd, Live Audio Administrator, who denied the feed to reconsider.

NYRHKY94

N1GAW:

That's too bad. I know it's not as straight forward as using RR for the temporary feed ,but you could host a private feed through ProScan (if using a Uniden supported radio) or Radio Feed (using just about any radio). Unlike RR, you would have to set-up your own IceCast or ShoutCast server or use the Web Server feature which does not require any external server. Quite handy for setting up a temporary or permanent feed for friends & family etc.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
After review and reconsideration RR has approved the feed.

Thank you to all who supported this request.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
After review and reconsideration RR has approved the feed.

Thank you to all who supported this request.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

Sometimes it is who you know that makes a difference :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

NYRHKY94

Glad to hear that. Congrats! FYI - Regarding my post above about hosting a private feed. RadioFeed also has a web server feature that doesn't require any external server. The feed audio is accessed by listeners via a web browser. All free and quite simple to set-up. You can also password protect access to the feed. Wanted to share in case this is helpful in the future.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
NC State Fair Feed Now Online

I have begun feeding the NC State Fair audio. Currently, the only Viper TGs active are the three Fairgrounds TGs:

52070, NC State Fair Grounds Admin,
52071 NC State Fair Grounds Main, and
52072 NC State Fair Grounds Maintenance

The statewide events channels will be added prior to opening day. Should anyone have additional information on TGs or other information for me to add/modify on the feed please post here or PM me.

Thanks again to all those who helped get this approved for 2018

reconrider8

thanks rr guys for the change of heart lol. as far as radiofeed its not that bad to setup. just takes a bit of patience and some knowledge on piping the audio to where it needs to go

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
State Fair Radio Checks on Wake Event 6A

Heard radio checks, testing on Wake Event 6A this morning, stated "State Fair radio check, testing".

The TG has been included in the RR NC State Fair Broadcastify Special Event Feed.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
You may be aware already, but there is another hurricane headed your way.
Yep. Our state has been preparing for Michael. Hopefully it will not be too bad but we are all paying attention to it.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Decision to delay fair opening good call

Delaying the opening of the State Fair proved to be a good call after all. Tonight, about 7:30pm, a tree at Gate 5 of the NC State Fair Grounds fell on someone entering the site. He was initially treated by on site medics and transported to the hospital. I'm hoping whoever was injured only had minor injuries and will be okay.

Fortunately, there were only vendors and fair workers onsite instead of families with children.

Radio traffic related to this event was on Wake Trunked System 6A and could be monitored on the Radio Reference 2018 NC State Fair feed.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hearing a bit of LEO traffic this morning, not necessarily with the fairgrounds. Thanks for hosting it!

Thanks Zapman987!!!!

Monitoring on opening day traffic was pretty close to the plan set out in the NC State Fair Monitoring Guide,
https://forums.radioreference.com/n...16-nc-state-fair-monitoring-guide-2018-a.html
with only a couple of exceptions.

Traffic was heard on Echo 1 (LE and coordination with fairgrounds staff/admin), 2 (medical) and 4 (SHP traffic). Dorton comms were heard using Wake Event 6A along with fair admin. Wake Event 5A was removed from feed as it was not related to the fair (a couple people involved with another event were heard on Event 6A this morning instead of 5A).

I apologize for the short downtime on Friday afternoon, my computer rebooted due to a windows update I thought had been done Thursday night. After the update I had a temporary problem getting the metadata working again but was finally able to make the connection.

Hope everyone enjoys the feed.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
For those few people that may have noticed silence on the broadcast feed this morning, I apologize.

The SD card in my Pro-668 began to act up after I deleted the recordings, and the scanner was giving me an error message. I replaced the feed scanner and am now using my TRX-1.

On a good note, the SD card appears to be okay, I've reformatted it and reloaded scanner config and library to the SD card and it is working okay. I'll probably be putting it back on the feed later, but for now I'm listening to it and making sure there are no other problems.

As this is the last weekend of the fair, the feed will be taken down on Monday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.