WiFi issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a WiFi dongle from the warehouse . It worked fine a few times but now I can't even get the scanner to recognize that the WiFi is connected. I now there is a way to update the WiFi but I forget how and I had an issue with the search button.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Well that's odd. Could not get an ap session to start. Htried to see if it could detect anything in infrastructure mode, it could, treid ap again and it connected right away.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
One other annoying "feature" of the 536/wifi dongle...you have to be within range of a wifi signal in order to start a wifi session. You don't have to connect to it & it doesn't need to have an internet connection. The dongle/536 just needs to "see" it when starting a wifi session. That undocumented "feature" drove me nuts for a while.

Jeff

Ubbe

In a vehicle there are often no WiFi signals available from the outside. So you have to start your phone or tablet in AP mode and then start AP mode on the 536 and then switch your phone or tablet back to infrastructure mode and connect to the 536 WiFi signal.

It's a mystery why the WiFi software in the 535 needs to see another WiFi signal before it can start it's own AP mode. Maybe it scans what channels are occupied and tries to choose a free one to use, but the code haven't been written to anticipate when there are no WiFi signals in the air? A manual selection of the channel would have solved that and also made it possible to solve any local problems you might have from certain neighbouring channels.

/Ubbe

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I did that. Sentinal as I said already at the newest firmware dongle at 7.28.

Sentinel is software and as such, does not have firmware. The radios you connect and program with Sentinel can have their firmware updated from within Sentinel. I assume the radio firmware is what you are talking about.

Sentinel itself has a software version number but usually if there is a new version of Sentinel available, it will not allow you to proceed to use Sentinel until it is updated.

6079smithw

It's a mystery why the WiFi software in the 535 needs to see another WiFi signal before it can start it's own AP mode.

True statement! And a damn shame as Uniden hit the jackpot with this feature IMHO. I just completed a road trip from NV to CT and back mostly via I-80. I was able to mount my 536 in the rear of my vehicle out of the way (and out of view) using an old Android tablet and external speaker up front. There are many places where wifi signals are non-existent (western WY-UT-NE for example) and the dongle would have been useless had it not been for the 9-dollar Chinese portable hotspot I had with me to reboot it with. The unit performed flawlessly otherwise for the entire trip. I certainly hope the folks at Uniden will come out with a fix for this in the near future... what say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.