SDS100 not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 has stopped charging. Neither the red light or green light will come on. I double checked my settings and the battery charge is set to enabled. Has anyone else experienced this?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you are not accidentally plugging into the Micro USB connector as it won't charge there. Also try a different Mini USB cable and USB charger (1 Amp min). If nothing changes, try charging with the scanner off.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you are not accidentally plugging into the Micro USB connector as it won't charge there. Also try a different Mini USB cable and USB charger (1 Amp min). If nothing changes, try charging with the scanner off.

I appreciate your suggestions. I have tried all of them to no avail. It is still not charging correctly and I can not get the green and/or red light to work (it use to work fine). Guess I need to call Uniden as it appears I’m the only person having this issue.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
It's difficult with this information here to know if it is a hardware issue or a battery issue. I would say you should give us a call at 1-800-297-1023 and we can go through some troubleshooting with you and advise to the best course of action.

Stewj

Premium Subscriber
New question to an old thread....

Will the SDS100 charge while powered on and scanning? When I plug it into the wall with the power off, the charge indicator light turns red, then green when fully charged. But, if I turn on the scanner to listen while it's charging, the red light goes off so I can't tell if it's still charging. Is it?

Thanks,
John (Stewj)

Bob1955

I appreciate your suggestions. I have tried all of them to no avail. It is still not charging correctly and I can not get the green and/or red light to work (it use to work fine). Guess I need to call Uniden as it appears I’m the only person having this issue.
If it is UNDER 30 days, return it for a full refund or get it replaced. And call your credit card company as they will debit the vendor. My best advise to you. Best of luck dhmann1811.

fluke281

I was very disappointed that my SDS-100 started shutting down without a low battery warning. I plugged it in to the supplied charger and now it hums with any 5 volt supply and refuses to start. It has been sent back after owning it only two weeks. Now I am told that I lose the additional warranty time while Uniden has it for a month, my warranty will not be extended while I had to pay for shipping and insurance.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I was very disappointed that my SDS-100 started shutting down without a low battery warning. I plugged it in to the supplied charger and now it hums with any 5 volt supply and refuses to start. It has been sent back after owning it only two weeks. Now I am told that I lose the additional warranty time while Uniden has it for a month, my warranty will not be extended while I had to pay for shipping and insurance.
If you were to end up having an issue in that 13th month, I would recommend contacting our support team. While our warranty policies are set, there are circumstances where we can look into discretionary exceptions. This is hypothetical at this point and I doubt it will be an issue.

It's also worth nothing that you have a 90 day repair warranty applied after the repair, which will generally let us send you a pre-paid shipping label if you have issues in that time, particularly if it is related to, or missed during, the repair that was done. We know that nobody likes going without their unit, but our warranties are there to reasonably protect our customers when the occasional faulty unit gets out into the world. We don't want this to happen any more than you do, and we try to be accommodating when it does.

amanaman1

Premium Subscriber
Not to pile on but I'll do it anyway. I just received my SDS100 yesterday and it won't charge the battery either, whether turned on or not. It will occasionally read about 3 volts on the display then go to nothing. Yes I am using the bottom mini port, I tried different 2amp chargers and cables, yes it is set to charge when on but it won't charge whether scanner is on or off. I get an occasional red blink and it will even randomly give me a green light indicating it's charged but it still won't turn on under battery power only. I guess the battery or charging circuit is just DOA. Seemed like a good radio for the few hours I spent programming it but it's going back for a refund. Grrrr

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Not to pile on but I'll do it anyway. I just received my SDS100 yesterday and it won't charge the battery either, whether turned on or not. It will occasionally read about 3 volts on the display then go to nothing. Yes I am using the bottom mini port, I tried different 2amp chargers and cables, yes it is set to charge when on but it won't charge whether scanner is on or off. I get an occasional red blink and it will even randomly give me a green light indicating it's charged but it still won't turn on under battery power only. I guess the battery or charging circuit is just DOA. Seemed like a good radio for the few hours I spent programming it but it's going back for a refund. Grrrr
I'm very sorry to hear this. It's up to you if you would prefer a refund, but warranty repair is also an option for you, and if you are in the return window through your retailer, an exchange may still be an option through them.

amanaman1

Premium Subscriber
I'm very sorry to hear this. It's up to you if you would prefer a refund, but warranty repair is also an option for you, and if you are in the return window through your retailer, an exchange may still be an option through them.
Yeah I owned it for less than 24 hours so I am getting an exchange through the retailer. Thanks for the response.

fqo63

Well...my new SDS100 was not charging either. When I first got it two weeks ago, I set it to charge while on. The red charge light came on and soon, it turned to green.
After several discharge/recharge cycles, neither the red nor green lights would come on using the (stock) charger and cable that came with the radio.
After some head scratching, I plugged the stock cable into a powered USB hub and the red light came on and soon turned green. Same thing happened when I plugged the cable into a USB port on my Dell laptop...worked fine.
That tells me that the charger/wall wart that comes with the SDS100 is not up to the job and needs to be upgraded by Uniden. Running any power supply close to it's capacity is not a good idea.
One clue that the wall wart was the problem was that it was cold to the touch. If a power supply is running at near capacity, it should be quite warm.

HTH Tad

amanaman1

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I think there's something amiss with the charging systems on some of these radios. I don't think it's a huge problem but I've seen several folks on this site and others dealing with similar issues. Your problem does sound like the wall wart but I know with mine and others I've seen, it seems to be something in the charging circuit itself. Hopefully it all gets resolved.

amanaman1

Premium Subscriber
Just an update, I got my replacement SDS100 today and this one charges the battery like it's supposed to. So far it's working great. I hope it continues to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.