Dipole on roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

I just made a fan dipole with 40m and 20m. I am totally out of options other than put it on top of the roof, but I’ve read not to let the wires touch directly on the roof. What does Home Depot or Lowe’s offer as some type of insulator that I can put between the roof and wires. And if anyone has done this was it descent?

prcguy

If the wire is insulated there is really nothing else you could add to improve things. Even with bare wire on a typical asphalt shingle roof is probably not a big difference between insulated and bare wire. Besides the antenna being close to internal house wiring, air conditioning ducting, etc, when it rains the roof will change properties for the worst for antennas.

I just made a fan dipole with 40m and 20m. I am totally out of options other than put it on top of the roof, but I’ve read not to let the wires touch directly on the roof. What does Home Depot or Lowe’s offer as some type of insulator that I can put between the roof and wires. And if anyone has done this was it descent?

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> I am totally out of options other than put it on top of the roof, but I&#8217;ve read not to let the wires touch directly on the roof. <snip>

Do you mean having the whole fan dipole lay on the roof? I've had a 20 meter dipole strung just above the roof's apex with masts at each end of a ranch house. The antenna was strung tight so it did not touch the roof. Perhaps you are trying to build a stealth antenna? Could you explain your objective a little more? Thanks!

<edit> If the 40 meter dipole was tight and the 20 meter dipole drooped under that, can you keep it off the roof?

Cheers! Dave K4EET

Last edited:

WX5812

Yes that is correct just lay on the roof. I have no trees around me and I live in an hoa. So yes I&#8217;m trying to make it stealth

K4EET

Chaplain
Yes that is correct just lay on the roof. I have no trees around me and I live in an hoa. So yes I’m trying to make it stealth

That is what I thought. Well, it should be somewhat OK as long as the wires do not touch each other. What I would do if I were you would be to put the antenna in the attic. Is that possible? I've done that before and know other hams in HOA restricted areas that have their antennas in the attic. How long is your attic; end to end?

Cheers! Dave

WX5812

I&#8217;ve thought about that as well but I have vaulted ceilings in almost every room and space is very limited. There is 2 small attics in my house

K4EET

Chaplain
wx5atx1,

Can you do something like this?

ant_plan.png

Let me know if you have a path through the attic like that.

73, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.