Radio Shack PRO-668 - Sold on eBay, was returned, not sure if it was modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsutton01

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the scanner scene, but bought a PRO-668 new at Radio Shack when a local store was closing down. Before I ever opened it, I decided I didn't want it so I sold it on eBay. a few weeks after the sale, the buyer requested a return saying he couldn't get the unit to connect to his computer and therefore couldn't update the firmware. My eBay listing explicitly said no returns, but eBay forced me to return it, despite my arguments.

I didn't know much about the unit when it was returned, which was at least a year ago, so I didn't think to check for mismatched serial numbers or SD card being swapped. However it looked like it was brand new, unused, as I shipped it.

I need to sell the unit once again, and before listing it on eBay, I would love some advice from those in the know how I can confirm that this thing is legit, wasn't modified or hacked, and is ready for sale.

The SD card in the side is a 4gb, black, unbranded card. Is that what these shipped with?

The serial number on the back of the unit is numeric, but does not match the little black sticker on the side of the unit above the UPC which is alpha numeric (so I don't know if that is a serial number sticker). The unit came back to me with the factory applied protective plastic coating on the main display and around the buttons, which is how I shipped it out. I'm inclined to believe that nothing was modified but I don't want to resell and then have to accept a return due to an abnormality.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

AtlasFBG2

If you press and hold menu then power it will display the firmware version. The second line will be the firmware. I believe the last Radio Shack firmware was 2.8

If it shows above 3.0 or higher then it was loaded with the Whistler firmware. Just press menu again for it to power off.

I sold a pro668 on ebay a year or two ago. The person waited 13 days then wanted a refund saying it was defective and would randomly shut off. I tried to ask questions but the buyer refused to answer and wanted their money back plus shipping cost. Naturally ebay sided with the buyer. When I got it back the display was scratched up and the belt clip damaged. There was nothing wrong with it function. Still using it today. The buyer simply didn't like it and used the defective excuse to circumvent my no return policy.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
You can sell on ebay AS-IS for parts only and try to get as much as you can. Make sure you select for parts only not working so buyer can't request a refund.

You can also try to sell it here in the classifieds.

dsutton01

I don't think i need to sell/list AS IS, as everything appears to work just fine. I was essentially asking if there's a way to see if it's been tampered with (weird firmware, non-stock SD card, etc.).

Firmware shows the following:

uP BootVer:RF1.1
uP App Ver:RF2.3

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I don't think i need to sell/list AS IS, as everything appears to work just fine. I was essentially asking if there's a way to see if it's been tampered with (weird firmware, non-stock SD card, etc.).

Firmware shows the following:

uP BootVer:RF1.1
uP App Ver:RF2.3

It is still stock and sounds like the buyer was "technology challenged"

PM with a price I may be interested if its a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.