FCC database

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCMon

Why are some frequencies not listed on the FCC searchable website. For instance - 152.66000 Douglas County (Oregon) Inter-Op channel. Any thoughts or info appreciated.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Why are some frequencies not listed on the FCC searchable website. For instance - 152.66000 Douglas County (Oregon) Inter-Op channel. Any thoughts or info appreciated.

Our statewide P25 system is the same, they make use of a lot of VHF frequencies that are unused by other services. The 152.xxx range is reserved for Part 22 (I think it's Part 22) Paging service. A state or other entity can request use of unused frequencies in these parts of the band for purposes other than paging. The frequencies will not show up when doing a search at the FCC.
I think it's another service called Caprad where one can find the info but Caprad appears to have become a subscription service these days.

Be warned that many wide band scanner type radios cannot handle paging signals very well and the result is poor or no reception of any weaker signals in the 152.xxx and 158.xxx ranges. Some ranges assigned for Federal use are also being used by state agencies today for their P25 systems. They do not need to be deploying P25 however. It's all because of a lack of available VHF frequencies in a given area. These frequencies will also not normally show up in an FCC search.

ecps92

kruser

Premium Subscriber
And to add to what Tom said, these Market Licenses allow the user both Frequencies + and - of the Base, so it is not just 152.6000 they are able to use, ANY where within the Geographic Market

Good info guys.

Question regarding this, As I said earlier, our state uses many of the unused paging frequencies across the state. My question is, do they always use the associated Mobile frequency for the Input frequency as listed in the Wiki's table or is the user free to license a different input frequency for each repeater pair?
I've monitored some of the Input's before and do hear mobile traffic when a user is nearby but it seems some of the 152.xxx repeaters may not be using the input frequency that should be paired with the output. This makes me think they may not be required to use the associated mobile or input frequency and may be free to use other frequencies. Then again, this could simply be the fact no mobile users are near my QTH. Just curious really as I don't normally monitor the inputs.

nd5y

Good info guys.

Question regarding this, As I said earlier, our state uses many of the unused paging frequencies across the state. My question is, do they always use the associated Mobile frequency for the Input frequency as listed in the Wiki's table or is the user free to license a different input frequency for each repeater pair?
The licenses are for one channel block pair. I don't know if the FCC allows the use of frequency pairs spanning multiple blocks if the licensee has more than one block.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The licenses are for one channel block pair. I don't know if the FCC allows the use of frequency pairs spanning multiple blocks if the licensee has more than one block.

This is interesting as I think I've seen inputs to 152.xxx channels that don't always seem to be the mobile pair.
I could be wrong though with this being a trunked system that usually changes frequency with each repeater drop. If I don't notice the output has changed, I may be watching the wrong input.

I'll have to plug in all the inputs and do some studying of what I hear.

I know P25 systems make use of custom tables. I don't know if a custom table can be made for non standard inputs away from the listed mobile frequencies as they call them in the Wiki table.

Where did the "mobile" frequencies come from anyway? Is this just a carryover from the really old mobile phone days?
AFAIK, paging was just a one way service back in the day and did not need inputs.
I don't think 2-way paging existed back when this chart was probably made and then I don't really know if 2-way paging actually used frequency pairs. I really can't see how pagers transmitted a signal back anyway! Using a single AA battery must have been a challenge and greatly reduced battery life in a 2-way pager. Never owned one though so I'm just guessing how they worked here. I just can't see a pager getting a signal back to a paging system that may have sent the page out from a tower with an ERP of 1KW or more.

I'll stop here as I'm getting off topic but thanks for the info posted. It gives me something to do!

nd5y

Where did the "mobile" frequencies come from anyway? Is this just a carryover from the really old mobile phone days?
Yep. Old MTS and IMTS systems, rural raidotelephone and some other services used the paired frequencies. Regular paging was on the non-paired frequencies. I don't remember if there were 2-way VHF pagers. I think those were all on 900 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.