SDS100/SDS200: Broken Pin On Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Iv had my fancy SDS100 for 2 weeks. Got er brand new from a semi local radio shop.
Iv had crappy reception since i got it.. Cant lock onto the simulcast EDACS system in my area that i always get no issues with any other radio.

Took the stock SMA antenna off and the center pin on the antenna was broke off inside the radio. Never had that happen to any radios/antennas iv owned in the last 20 years

Emailed the radio shop i got it from and they need the entire radio, all accessories and box it came in so they can send the radio out for repair. Seems a little much to drive 3 hours for them to send the radio to uniden when its an antenna issues not radio

Anyone els have this happen to them? Or did i get a bum 1 off junk antenna? Wasnt dropped or anything. Its been sitting on my test and outside for all of an hour. Got maybe.. 12 hours use on it so far

Muxlow

Super Secret
I dont see why the entire scanner would have to be sent off to replace the antenna itself.. As the antenna isnt permanently affixed to the radio

If anything it would be send the antenna in. Im in canada so shipping would out weigh me just buying a replacement antenna myself.

Just curious if anyone els has had this issue or not.. For sure a first for me on any scanner or 2 way radio antenna.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I dont see why the entire scanner would have to be sent off to replace the antenna itself.. As the antenna isnt permanently affixed to the radio

If anything it would be send the antenna in. Im in canada so shipping would out weigh me just buying a replacement antenna myself.

Just curious if anyone els has had this issue or not.. For sure a first for me on any scanner or 2 way radio antenna.

Agreed. Unless there is damage to the radio's female SMA connector, send the antenna in for repair or just replace the antenna.

I don't know if this issue has been reported before for the SDS-100 or Uniden stock antennas but it was reported for other radio/antenna combinations.
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...w-remtronix-800-took-pin-right-out-radio.html

Muxlow

Super Secret
Being in Canada sending the antenna itself to the states plus return shipping will out cost buying a replacement antenna twice.

If Uniden isn't willing to fax me down a replacement I'll just buy my own. No point in spending more bucks just for a warranty replacement. Seems radioworld isn't going to replace the antenna

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Agreed. Unless there is damage to the radio's female SMA connector, send the antenna in for repair or just replace the antenna.

I don't know if this issue has been reported before for the SDS-100 or Uniden stock antennas but it was reported for other radio/antenna combinations.
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...w-remtronix-800-took-pin-right-out-radio.html

This is what I assumed the case was since they were talking about repair. If it is not the case, email us at escan@uniden.com with a copy of your proof of purchase, name, number, address and a photo of the broken antenna part. Put ATTN: Charles in the subject line. I should be able to get one sent out to you.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
If the pin is not stuck in, it would just need an antenna which we could send a replacement for.

derevs

Just looked at the antenna connection on my 436 and a broken off antenna pin can easily be removed with a pair of tweezers.
But it makes you wonder about the quality of the antenna and how many others who report poor reception issues have the same problem?

mule1075

Feed Provider
But it makes you wonder about the quality of the antenna and how many others who report poor reception issues have the same problem?

I would say since you are talking about the antenna for the 436 quality is probably not a issue. As it appears to be the same antenna that has been supplied by Uniden since at least the 396xt and maybe even the 396t. Now with sds100 antennas who knows?

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
We certainly have not sent out many antennas at all for the SDS100, only one since launch, so I don't think there is any sort of problem with the antenna considering the thousands of SDS100s we've sold.

We are looking at a .01% failure rate reported, 1 in 10,000, in the first 4 months of release. That seems acceptable to me, especially since we replace them for a year after purchase.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Inside the antenna itself the pin broke clean off. Was not stuck in the radio when i removed the antenna. Antenna came off and pin was sitting half in the sma. could pull it out. No damage or anything stuck on the radio side at all

Status
Not open for further replies.