Whistler CDAT - invisible talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

While programming my TRX-1 with the latest official CDAT software, I ran across something weird with what appears to be invisible talkgroup programming.

Example:
I try to program in a talkgroup of 3107 into a trunked DMR system. The software happily accepts it, but does not appear in the talkgroup list, nor throw any error when "set".

If I try to program 3107 again into the same system, the software states that it is already in the system, and if I would just like to rename the alpha tag.

Weird - I can't see it in the list once I try to create it, nor can I delete what appears to be in the system either. It's invisible.

It doesn't even show up when I check "Show unassigned talkgroups" either.

Even weirder is that I CAN program 3107 into other DMR sites if I wish and it acts normally.

I have tried deleting the entire troublesome system and recreating the talkgroups, and the same thing happens, but only on certain numbers like 3107...

Weird.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I believe this issue goes back to the GRE (PSR-800) days. Once this happens, just create an identical system without deleting the first, the talkgroups should show. Lock out the troublesome system. I have several systems that I've run into this problem over the years.

nanZor

Thank you so much for the workaround, but I have good news and bad news:

Bad news: Still didn't work. But I took down notes in preparation for filing an official bug report to them - I think I *found the bug* !!

I tried to force the problem by adding the same "invisible" TGID, and of course it told me that there was already one installed, but would you like to rename the Alpha Tag instead?

Sure, and it threw up this Windows error:

"Access violation at address 0048E748 in module 'TRX-1.EXE'.
Read of address 07B336B78"

Bummer - looks like it needs some digital glasses.

THE GOOD NEWS:

My trunked DMR system has only ONE site with one frequency. When I click on the system to go to the

"Trunked System Site Information" tabs

my site is NOT HIGHLIGHTED. AHA!

The fix was to merely highlight the sight in the site list, and the frequency of the site appears too.

NOW I'm able to add that talkgroup I wanted like normal.

Maybe I'll still file the bug - that when programming a TRS that has only one site in the Site List, the programming software should highlight it by default.

Even though you can access the talkgroup programming tab with TGID's from previous sessions, if the site is not highlighted, then weird talkgroup anomolies appear, like going invisible.

Cool! Thanks for the help, and the prompting for me to dig deeper.

nanZor

Bug report filed

Ok, so filed the bug report officially to Whistler.

Makes me wonder about the other additional TG's I was able to enter without highlighting the site first. Hmm.. maybe I'll just re-enter the site to make sure they are all stored properly.

Still very pleased with the TRX-1 overall performance.

nanZor

Wow - a little politeness when reporting a problem seems to go a long way. They jumped on the issue and their data doc is looking at my archive file.

My suspicion is that something on *my* computer took a nibble out of the software somewhere to make it act up. Might just start over with a fresh install, but we'll see.

Man, not used to that kind of service on a consumer item...

nanZor

Pretty sure it was *ME* hiding those trunked talkgroups! I'll be doing a fresh install, but this was kind of fun in a way to discover....

Now it makes sense. I was mixing and matching TG management changes between using the SCANLISTS tab, and the TALKGROUP DETAILS tab.

1) Create two trunked dmr systems. Use the Talkgroup Details tab to populate the TG's in each system with different ID's in each to make it easier to test below.

2) Be sure to assign these two systems to their own dedicated scanlists. Name them if you like.

3) Now, using the SCANLISTS tab, bring up one of the dmr *scanlists*. Using THAT window, change one of the TG's from one scanlist to the other and set it.

4) Go into the TRUNKED RADIO SYSTEMS tab, and look to see if your TG that you previously moved, shows up in the Talkgroup Details window. Not there!

See how I "hid" it? The *SYSTEM" doesn't know about me changing a TG's scanlist when using the SCANLIST window method. And I suppose it shouldn't in that instance. If YOU have a hidden talkgroup that doesn't show up in your trunked system details list, go take a browse through your scanlist tab set.

Moral: If I mistakenly program a TG into the wrong system, I'm just going to delete-and-recreate it, rather than move it across a scanlist like I would with simple conventional stuff.

So - I hate to say it, but a big case of PEBCAK, and not Whistler.

Either that, or I've had WAAAAAY too much energy drink! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.