• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cross-Vendor Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon, group.

There has been a discussion in my shop about cross-vendor encryption with P25 Phase I. The obvious question, can you replicate the encryption key for one vendor on a subscriber from a different vendor. A trunk system is switching to P25 P1 soon and the agency is taking the chance to compare different models. The infrastructure (including KMF) is provided by one vendor.

Is it possible to have a KMF from both vendors attached to the system, or is there a translator that can accept UKEK/TEK sets from both vendors?

Thank you in advance.

AYoung2600

Good afternoon, group.

There has been a discussion in my shop about cross-vendor encryption with P25 Phase I. The obvious question, can you replicate the encryption key for one vendor on a subscriber from a different vendor. A trunk system is switching to P25 P1 soon and the agency is taking the chance to compare different models. The infrastructure (including KMF) is provided by one vendor.

Is it possible to have a KMF from both vendors attached to the system, or is there a translator that can accept UKEK/TEK sets from both vendors?

Thank you in advance.

I can't speak for all manufacturers, but I have personally set up Kenwood and EF Johnson radios on a Motorola P25 system with a Motorola KMF with no issues.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have KVL keyloaded Harris with an AES key and had them talk to APX radios no issues. I have not used a KMF though. If you work for a PS agency, you could try reaching out to NLECC to ask them.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Hmm. How about Motorola to Harris Infrastructure?

Anyone?

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but Harris subscriber units will work on a Motorola infrastructure, including OTAR via a Moto KMF. But as thunderknight said, your best bet is to consult with the NLECC in Orlando. They are currently working with two vendors on the same system.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
KMFs are available from many vendors and I know of one local system that uses a KMF from another vendor on their MSI trunking system. Like CSSI/ISSI, the setup can be involved, but it is doable. AES-256 is the standard for P-25, so from a subscriber point of view, keysets should be agnostic to the subscriber so long as the radio supports the algorithm.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The system that I manage (Harris) uses AES OTAR and we have Harris, Motorola and Relm subscriber units. All of them OTAR just fine.

The system that I manage (Harris) uses AES OTAR and we have Harris, Motorola and Relm subscriber units. All of them OTAR just fine.

That's nice to know, I had heard otherwise. Someone said EF Johnson radios would not OTAR, can anyone confirm or deny that?

Our county has a Motorola only policy and has decided to go with ADP encryption next year on the state's Motorola P-25 system. This was done on a cost savings basis.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Is Motorola still offering ADP?

For now; I've been led to believe that single-key AES256 is now being offered as standard equipment in place of ADP although I have yet to confirm this.

As to the original question, I've not had any problems getting both Motorola and Harris radios to work together using AES256 on a Motorola P25 system. Haven't tried Kenwood, RELM or Tait although we have radios from those companies.

I was told the ADP policy is from 6 years ago, it may have been state of the art then. The county east of us was/is using it to some degree, and it was cheaper.

I found an EF Johnson paper on ADP stating DHS grants can't be used if ADP is the only encryption in the radio.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I was told the ADP policy is from 6 years ago, it may have been state of the art then. The county east of us was/is using it to some degree, and it was cheaper.

I found an EF Johnson paper on ADP stating DHS grants can't be used if ADP is the only encryption in the radio.

ADP was not state of the art, but is included in many Motorola radios. Until recently, Motorola was the only company that supported it, but I recently found out that other companies now support it, too.

The DHS limitation is regarding using a compliant encryption method, which ADP is not. AES is the current standard, and most companies have an option for supporting it.

Sent using Tapatalk

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Lots of valuable information here. So here is where I stand. Using a simplex channel in Digital, TX NAC 293/RX F7E.

Used KVL to load APX8K, success.
Loaded same key on P7200/XL-200, Success.
Moto to Moto, success.
Harris to Harris, success.
Harris to Moto, success.
Moto to Harris, failure...

Seems Harris is not rxing the key properly. Seems odd, as they are both loaded correctly. The XL-200 reads "RX KEY: NO RX KEY" I also noticed, the Moto will open when the Harris tx's in the clear with key enabled. Sure that is an MC setting (will dig into that later).

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Are you sure that the Harris is transmitting encrypted? Make sure that you have the right key selected in RPM under the P25 Conventional tab under Private Options. It defaults to unencrypted. Choose the algorithm and the select the key.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
K, so chalk one up for language barriers. The key loading system for our legacy vendor represents Key ID in DEC. The other, in HEX. Go figure. I want to thank you all for the input. The responses helped.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Our county has a Motorola only policy ...

I missed that tidbit, earlier. That should be investigated for a xonflict of interests, fraud, and/or a pay off made to county supervisors. That policy is, at the very least, doing a disservice to the county residents, as some other brands are just as good, and cost significantly less money.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.