Central NC digital low band business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten42

I have been catching traffic for a few weeks now on 43.04 (business iten) and 43.00, both using 151.4 ctcss, sometimes in the clear, sometimes encrypted. The comms, when in the clear sound military in format, and yes I know these are business frequencies. Once they contact each other on analog, they say "go red." and its total encryption after that. Anyone else hearing such? This has happened about five or six times, weekdays and weekends. Traffic, once encrypted last for almost an hour or so. Heard in central NC from Asheboro to Reidsville.

hill

Premium Subscriber
More than likely military. A common pl tone used by the military on low band is 150.0 This is not a standard tone, but it's close to 151.4 and this is what most scanners show the tone decoded as.

The Military can use frequencies all over the place and not just within there normal ranges.

spacellamaman

you rock

I have been catching traffic for a few weeks now on 43.04 (business iten) and 43.00, both using 151.4 ctcss, sometimes in the clear, sometimes encrypted. The comms, when in the clear sound military in format, and yes I know these are business frequencies. Once they contact each other on analog, they say "go red." and its total encryption after that. Anyone else hearing such? This has happened about five or six times, weekdays and weekends. Traffic, once encrypted last for almost an hour or so. Heard in central NC from Asheboro to Reidsville.

thanks for the post. have any of these occasions been since saturday? and any in the clear dialog you hear feel free to pass it along even if it is non-sensacal fragments. every little bit helps. alos can you describe the audible characteristics of the encryption? does it sound like the stuff you hear with say the FBI etc? or is is more like a harsh static noise?

thanks plugging it all in right now. will report back

also if ya don't mind me asking what gear are you rx'ing this with? mainly concerning if it is P25 capable or just analog reciever and what type of antenna(s) are you using.

Last edited:

Ten42

We have a few older lowband mobiles with 43.04 in them to use for travel between jobs. I started hearing this, mobile, coming up 220 near Level Cross a few weeks/month ago. At home I have a 996T, 996P2, BC780, and a RS2036, I have heard them at home near Eden but not at full signal strength and on my 996P2, which will decode the P25 but its encrypted from there. Have heard callsign's Kilo 7 calling Kilo 2, and then "go red," then its encrypted. I use a ball & spring mounted on the truck and a scantenna at home for VHF stuff. Also heard Echo 4 Romeo and such, when in the clear. I will post anything else I catch.

Flyham

We have a few older lowband mobiles with 43.04 in them to use for travel between jobs. I started hearing this, mobile, coming up 220 near Level Cross a few weeks/month ago. At home I have a 996T, 996P2, BC780, and a RS2036, I have heard them at home near Eden but not at full signal strength and on my 996P2, which will decode the P25 but its encrypted from there. Have heard callsign's Kilo 7 calling Kilo 2, and then "go red," then its encrypted. I use a ball & spring mounted on the truck and a scantenna at home for VHF stuff. Also heard Echo 4 Romeo and such, when in the clear. I will post anything else I catch.

I can confirm similar findings in the same area (Asheboro, Randleman and towards High Point). RX Gear I have available for VHF Lo also includes the capability for P25, DMR, NXDN; but it will not decode with anything that I have available as well.

WA4MJF

Military comms in the 30 to 76 MC range are 36F3, so they are plenty wide. 150 cycles is the tone squelch frequency.
Steps on the New Family of FM radios (RT-524,etc) would be like 42.95, 43.00, 43.05, etc.

spacellamaman

vvveewwwyyy interesting

well once again i have to go back to the dreaded 5khz steps it seems. thanks for the further info, it all sounds like solid stuff. believe it or not even stuff like kilo 7 etc can be helpful in the long run. if ya ever hear delta zero six or november seven xray, well, ha that would be funny stuff. to me anyway. no facts are irrelevant.

nathanj when you say similar, how similar are we talking?

talk about fluke luck having it come over the work radio.

well i got it in two scanners recording and running 43-44 in two more in 5khz steps. if both of ya'll have mult occasions i ought to be able to contribute here eventually. just so you know guys im south of ya'll just the other side of the river.

hey since you two seem to be go getters, i logged 143.4 twice today with a PL67.0 on a BR330T which tells me it was likely a P25 tx. if yall feel like it, how about punching it in, FM or NFM open squelch and see if yall hear anything over the next day or two. this is a new one on me and i am in a very low RFI area so looks promising. anyway ill check back later

Flyham

well once again i have to go back to the dreaded 5khz steps it seems. thanks for the further info, it all sounds like solid stuff. believe it or not even stuff like kilo 7 etc can be helpful in the long run. if ya ever hear delta zero six or november seven xray, well, ha that would be funny stuff. to me anyway. no facts are irrelevant.

nathanj when you say similar, how similar are we talking?

talk about fluke luck having it come over the work radio.

well i got it in two scanners recording and running 43-44 in two more in 5khz steps. if both of ya'll have mult occasions i ought to be able to contribute here eventually. just so you know guys im south of ya'll just the other side of the river.

hey since you two seem to be go getters, i logged 143.4 twice today with a PL67.0 on a BR330T which tells me it was likely a P25 tx. if yall feel like it, how about punching it in, FM or NFM open squelch and see if yall hear anything over the next day or two. this is a new one on me and i am in a very low RFI area so looks promising. anyway ill check back later

My findings? Similar to what Ten42 was describing. Of course I was trying to catch some Hurricane related traffic and happened to be keeping the kids at home (boy that was like a hurricane in its on!).

Late afternoon and early evening I Did ride into Asheboro down 220 and then out towards Denton and Badin by 49 & 8. In hopes of maybe catching some unscheduled mil activity thru the Uwharries. Nothing heard there other than something akin to the idling sound of a Diesel engine. It was most offensive around 43.04 ish with another offender popping up around 43.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyham

OK y'all, this is getting even more bigger than I could imagine. I don't have a lot of time to go into details and for some reason I can't get the audio that I capture to attach. But this morning I caught something penetrating the low-band areas of 35.0 MHZ ish and 43.0 Mhz ish. It was the same tone that now I wish I could get to attach.

Got to run, hope to catch and post some more later!

spacellamaman

Finally!!!

OK y'all, this is getting even more bigger than I could imagine. I don't have a lot of time to go into details and for some reason I can't get the audio that I capture to attach. But this morning I caught something penetrating the low-band areas of 35.0 MHZ ish and 43.0 Mhz ish. It was the same tone that now I wish I could get to attach.

Got to run, hope to catch and post some more later!

Man I have been waiting for this for some time now, independent witnessing.

Add in 32.4, 32.55, 32.85, 38.55. over the past week those have been doing the same thing you saw on 35.0, and i presume 43.0 as well , tho i have yet to catch it on 43.0 yet hence my excitment when finding this thread . let me know if you ever hear a chirp/screech at the begining or end of a tx. it seems to happen about 20% of the time and is easier to hear with the squelch bottomed out. depending on the scanner AM mode may make it more easily heard.

I bought a bcd436hp earlier this year for just this particular mystery, and it's not P25 as far as i can tell. been using a pro668 tracking this for a long, long time, but out of fear that perhaps it wouldnt decode P25 on low band i got the 436 just to be on the safe side. RR users and Chris Parris have reported low band P25 but as far as i could tell they were all using unidens so i finally had break down and get one. (only times i have picked up lowband P25 it has been VIPER tx's :) $1F0 etc. )

if you have a signal stalker capable scanner that gives a real good idea how close you are and 49&8 area is prime DF territory at the moment. i was snagging 35.0 and 38.55 two nights ago in Badin with a 22 in wire whip mag mount using signal stalker mode. but that could have been easily either side of the river as the tx source is of a power level much higher than a HT.

"idling sound of a Diesel engine" now thats a new one on me. this was the denton area specifically or potentially else where? are we talking a indefinite time tx or blips? 10 sec to a minute?

got a feeling i am going to be taking a drive today....

Flyham

So nothing really intriguing to pass on this afternoon and early evening. The usual suspect were present (NC DOT DIV 8 mainly). I thought I might have heard an ASPEN call earlier on what I think might be a LowBand Military guard or common channel.
Perhaps some research over the weekend will bring some more solid answers to these offenders of the FM Lo-Bands!

Flyham

So with this morning being a bit of wash and no major family plans after lunch. I took a few moments and fired up the scanners. It being Saturday and the weather being what it was I didn’t figure much would happen. But around 2:45-3:00pm local I started hearing 3 distinct call signs on 43.040mhz with traffic that basically was Aspen06 talking to Reaper and Raven. Establishing contact in the (FM) clear with a few quick comm checks and maybe some position type reports then switching to some kind of secure wave form.
I hope to pull recordings and add them in. Nothing I can truly put my finger on.

spacellamaman

well i have nothing to report, in the most frustrating of ways. anyone get anything recently?

-- please all disregard the 143.4 post previously. i would explain, but its simpler to give away the ending which is i am an idiot with a short memory and a flair for not locking out known, self-generated RFI on new equipment. i am truly sorry and more than a bit embarrassed----

Flyham

I’ve been away for the past few days.
Just wondering if anyone has had any recent success?

spacellamaman

I’ve been away for the past few days.
Just wondering if anyone has had any recent success?

recent success? no... why don' you ask if i have had any success in the past?

2 questions, 1 answer serves them all

dagnabbit

please update if you happen to have better luck than i in the future. its not a terrible high bar . ya really don't need to bend your knees to get over it

Flyham

recent success? no... why don' you ask if i have had any success in the past?

2 questions, 1 answer serves them all

dagnabbit

please update if you happen to have better luck than i in the future. its not a terrible high bar . ya really don't need to bend your knees to get over it

Because "recent" equals a period of time comparatively close to the present. However "past" is more in tune with something that is way gone by in time and no longer existing.

Anyway, maybe this weekend will yield some success, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.