Weird Noise on FIRE Tach Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle980

Feed Provider
If this is on the wrong thread my apologies as this is the first time posting on the forum but been a radio reference supporter for years .. anyways when I receive the city FIRE tach channel I tend to get this weird noise, I use a Whistler WS1065. I have looked everywhere and have turned up with nothing, would love to get this fixed as it goes over my broadcastify stream. Provided below is an audio clip as well as the details of the frequency.

almost sounds like a power issue but not certain, I have it plugged into a UPS, also have had issues with it even not in the UPS. I have other scanners which have the same issue but not as prominent.

Frequency Info: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IUG_DDaLUrcFvhnTTHsXB8sF3fFMpXQz
AUDIO clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17BO2u6KX1jmfbrPpHvJeRYxKaUCZy2MN/view?usp=sharing

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If this is on the wrong thread my apologies as this is the first time posting on the forum but been a radio reference supporter for years .. anyways when I receive the city FIRE tach channel I tend to get this weird noise, I use a Whistler WS1065. I have looked everywhere and have turned up with nothing, would love to get this fixed as it goes over my broadcastify stream. Provided below is an audio clip as well as the details of the frequency.

almost sounds like a power issue but not certain, I have it plugged into a UPS, also have had issues with it even not in the UPS. I have other scanners which have the same issue but not as prominent.

Frequency Info: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IUG_DDaLUrcFvhnTTHsXB8sF3fFMpXQz
AUDIO clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17BO2u6KX1jmfbrPpHvJeRYxKaUCZy2MN/view?usp=sharing

Sounds like strong signal(s) mixing. What sort of antenna are you using? Are you able to identify any of the offending signals?

Sent using Tapatalk

Kyle980

Feed Provider
Sounds like strong signal(s) mixing. What sort of antenna are you using? Are you able to identify any of the offending signals?

Sent using Tapatalk

currently using a Centerfire Discone antenna, and unfortunately no I cannot

Last edited:

Kyle980

Feed Provider
What do you hear if you monitor 453.6375 with an open squelch?

sorry for the late response.. with some testing with the squelch im not hearing any difference

tonight there was a big call and only certain radios would do it.. esp dispatch and most of the trucks, seems like though if they are on portable its fine.. i do have 3 other scanners with the same problem and have had no luck on them either

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Does it happen without a computer plugged in? Does it happen on battery operated scanner not plugged into AC power? Maybe ground loop or DC on the audio jack? TT

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
You verified that the sound appears on other radios besides your Whistler? The answer may be system related and nothing you can do, related to a particular voting reciever or the circuit linking the receiver.

BTW, 'TAC' is short for tactical, not tachometer.

Kyle980

Feed Provider
You verified that the sound appears on other radios besides your Whistler? The answer may be system related and nothing you can do, related to a particular voting reciever or the circuit linking the receiver.

BTW, 'TAC' is short for tactical, not tachometer.

yes, all scanners have the same issue. That's what I'm afraid of that its only our semi-outdated system.
considering it was installed in 2010.

And 10-4 on 'TAC', why I put TACH ill never know lol. thanks for everyone's help! :)

Kyle980

Feed Provider
Does it happen without a computer plugged in? Does it happen on battery operated scanner not plugged into AC power? Maybe ground loop or DC on the audio jack? TT

happens with or without the computer plugged in and on. I run 2 other mobile units (1 inside and other in the car) and 1 portable and still having the same issue. and only happens on that channel, others are fine and clear with no ground loop.

Kyle980

Feed Provider
while testing I did turn on the attenuator on the scanner to see if it would help at all. It did take out the "buzzing" but the quality was still very poor. i am in the central of the county and as someone had said before it maybe 2 different "repeaters" working against themselves. even if i go to the west of the county with my mobile unit in the car, still has the same issue (approx 15 miles from home base)

Status
Not open for further replies.