BCD436HP external antenna issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDFF21

So I have BCD436HP connected to a 700mhz external Laird antenna on my vehicle. Trying to listen to our 700mhz P25 talkgroups with it. So far it hasn't helped with reception clarity and it's still the same as if I had the rubber ducky antenna still connected. Is it not meant for this or is there something I missed in the programming? Would I be better off using my HomePatrol 1 with an external antenna connected to it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused, are you trying to listen to 700 MHz systems with your 436HP or VHF systems?

You mention a 700 MHz Laird antenna and go right into talking about a VHF radio.
The 436 should work better with a VHF antenna if that is what you are after, not a 700 MHz antenna for VHF reception.

DDFF21

I'm confused, are you trying to listen to 700 MHz systems with your 436HP or VHF systems?

You mention a 700 MHz Laird antenna and go right into talking about a VHF radio.
The 436 should work better with a VHF antenna if that is what you are after, not a 700 MHz antenna for VHF reception.

My apologies, I'm attempting to listen to 700mhz P25 freqs, not VHF utilizing the 436HP.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
My apologies, I'm attempting to listen to 700mhz P25 freqs, not VHF utilizing the 436HP.

That's better!

In theory, it should work better with the Laird antenna but factors such as the site being simulcast can make it hard.
I've seen several users get better reception from simulcast sites by using the factory antenna if the signal strength is good enough to get inside your car. The stock antenna can help by reducing unwanted towers signals from hitting your radio. Being mobile though, this trick may not work as signal levels will be constantly changing.
There is also the chance that an external antenna can bring in too much signal and cause overload in the radio. This can be true with some but Uniden's seem to handle powerful nearby signals pretty well and don't overload easily.

Unfortunately, about all you can do is try the antennas you have and form your own opinion which one is best. Being mobile though may show one antenna works better than the other but a mile down the road and the other may work better. It can get tricky finding one solution that works throughout your drive.

One thing you can try is changing the Decode settings to Manual for each site you monitor. You cannot do this in the HP-1 but can in the 436HP.
That may be enough to clear up your reception as Auto mode does not always work very well, especially when monitoring simulcast sites or when mobile and signal levels are fluctuating as you drive for both, simulcast and regular sites. If manual decode settings are what you are after, the 436HP is the radio you want.

Good luck getting it cleared up!

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Humm.
I have this same antenna favored in my phone for one of 3 to research & buy. Was going to do the permanent hole on trunk.
But I read the base is huge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDFF21

That's better!

In theory, it should work better with the Laird antenna but factors such as the site being simulcast can make it hard.
I've seen several users get better reception from simulcast sites by using the factory antenna if the signal strength is good enough to get inside your car. The stock antenna can help by reducing unwanted towers signals from hitting your radio. Being mobile though, this trick may not work as signal levels will be constantly changing.
There is also the chance that an external antenna can bring in too much signal and cause overload in the radio. This can be true with some but Uniden's seem to handle powerful nearby signals pretty well and don't overload easily.

Unfortunately, about all you can do is try the antennas you have and form your own opinion which one is best. Being mobile though may show one antenna works better than the other but a mile down the road and the other may work better. It can get tricky finding one solution that works throughout your drive.

One thing you can try is changing the Decode settings to Manual for each site you monitor. You cannot do this in the HP-1 but can in the 436HP.
That may be enough to clear up your reception as Auto mode does not always work very well, especially when monitoring simulcast sites or when mobile and signal levels are fluctuating as you drive for both, simulcast and regular sites. If manual decode settings are what you are after, the 436HP is the radio you want.

Good luck getting it cleared up!

Thanks, I'll experiment and see what works!

Humm.
I have this same antenna favored in my phone for one of 3 to research & buy. Was going to do the permanent hole on trunk.

It's only a 3/4" hole and this is a low-pro 700mhz antenna. Utilized hundreds for our installs with no complaints from our customers about reception issues either

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Maybe different one....
ac52ab07a40a71e7618f4ed0b99a79e9.png

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Humm.

Hey Frank,

Do you have the actual Laird model number for the one that may have a huge base?
I've used and owned several different Laird NMO mount type antennas and can't ever say I recall one of them having a huge base size compared to other manufacturers. Usually just a slight change in the antenna's base size can be found if that.
I'd be curious to see if maybe the one you saw mention of it having a huge base is an odd or new offering from Laird.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
One I was considering but was reading bigger base.
Laird Technologies WPD136M6C-001
(Probably due to the 20 inch whip)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Back to the OP, is the audio choppy with lots of dropouts? If not, then it isn't likely an antenna issue. Unlike analog, where the audio gets hissy when the signal gets bad, digital is either there or it isn't, with a very narrow band of choppy. But, even the voice parts of the choppy are going to be clear.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
One I was considering but was reading bigger base.
Laird Technologies WPD136M6C-001
(Probably due to the 20 inch whip)

That does have a fat base! You may be correct in that the length to the tip is why. I'd sure think that wide base would give it some added strength at the base so it does not rip off from striking anything. That and the spring should make it a pretty durable antenna.

It kind of reminds me of some of the oddball CB antennas I owned many moons ago that seemed to have fat bases.

derevs

Something I would check is conductivity using an ohmmeter from the antenna to the radio connector and also check from the antenna to ground with it unplugged from the radio. It's surprising that sometimes things go wrong in an installation!

DDFF21

Back to the OP, is the audio choppy with lots of dropouts? If not, then it isn't likely an antenna issue. Unlike analog, where the audio gets hissy when the signal gets bad, digital is either there or it isn't, with a very narrow band of choppy. But, even the voice parts of the choppy are going to be clear.

Some dropouts and some choppy audio, it does it both with the regular antenna and the external antenna.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
So I have BCD436HP connected to a 700mhz external Laird antenna on my vehicle. Trying to listen to our 700mhz P25 talkgroups with it. So far it hasn't helped with reception clarity and it's still the same as if I had the rubber ducky antenna still connected.

Welcome to Radio Reference!

It's very likely you're monitoring a simulcast system. Below is a detailed explanation of simulcast distortion. Changing the antenna on your vehicle will most likely not help.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion

ot0tot

Premium Subscriber
What kind of coax are you using? Attenuation increases with frequency, so at 700 MHz depending on the length of the coax you could be eliminating all of the advantage of an external antenna.

K2RNI

Most likely line loss from coax length and being higher loss type. Probably pinched or bent the line too and used a badly soldered on connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.