List of repeater idents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey_c

My name is peter coleman and I work for the FAA at the NY TRACON. Recently we've been getting morse code (sounds like EA763) on one of our freqs (135.35 MHz). After doing some digging, I'm thinking that morse code might be an ident for a repeater. This code happens about every 32 minutes or so. Is there a list of the idents for repeaters? It's annoying and possibly dangerous for the controller have that in his/her ear. Thanks, Pete

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Amateur radio repeaters are coordinated by various bodies. There is no central coordinating body. There are various on-line repeater listing, such as Repaterbook, and RFinder, but their data is not always accurate.

That said, an amateur radio repeater should be identifying with an amateur radio callsign which will consist of either 1 or 2 letters followed by a number followed by 1, 2, or 3 letters. And, the first letter will be an A, K, N, or W. EA763 is not a valid amateur radio callsign.

Frankly, since aeronautical navigation and control is being impacted by the signal you are hearing, it might be appropriate to get the FCC involved.

mikey60

I agree with W9BU that the FCC should probably get involved.

That being said, there's a KEA763 licensed to MTEC with paging transmitters located in the area of 10th Ave and W 54th street in Manhattan. They're all on 152MHz frequencies. It seems like you would hear more than just Morse ID though if those are active.

ULS Entry on that: ULS License - Paging and Radiotelephone License - KEA763 - MTEC

Again, the FCC would be the best course of action to determine for sure where the interference is coming from. The information about is based on the information provided.

Mike

petey_c

W9BU, thanks for the info. The morse that breaks in is garbled at first.
I wish the process was as easy as calling the FCC and asking for their help. The metro NYC area is pretty big and we like to use our RDF to pin it down a little better. Even the FCC can't shut down a pirate radio immediately (I know it doesn't make sense...). There's a whole process that we have to go through and that can take months. Usually they just pack up shop, change freqs and move a couple of blocks away with their equipment.

petey_c

Mikey, thanks. We've had lots of equipment that's generated spurs, cable TV amplifiers (in somone's attic), large scale microwave ovens (think Nabisco), neon signs, vacuum sealing machines, a electric heater in a trailer near the end of the runway at Newark airport, etc.

mikey60

I don't doubt that. On the frequency our local ham repeater had for a long time we had all kinds of noise from leaky cable TV lines. The frequency we're on now is much better.

Assuming the Morse code that was copied was accurate, that might be the place to start looking. Using a wildcard search on the FCC site that was the only thing that came up with that ending.

Maybe a radio set on the frequencies on that ULS entry I posted to see if you hear the same thing there that you're hearing on your radios.

Mike

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Pete,

I know what you mean about the paperwork needed to get the FCC involved, however, it would be a good idea to go ahead and get it started before something happens. Being proactive will at least show that you are doing everything possible in case an "incident" does occur. I don't know what your position is with the FAA at the NY TRACON but if it is supervisory or higher, by not taking action with the FCC now may come back to haunt you later.

Mike (mikey60) had a good idea with the
"Maybe a radio set on the frequencies on that ULS entry I posted to see if you hear the same thing there that you're hearing on your radios"
suggestion. If the CW identification occurs at the same time and is the same alphanumerics, then you got your suspect. But I still recommend that you not take on this issue by yourself.

The other thing that I wanted to say is... Welcome to Radio Reference!

Cheers! Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.