• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication Rep: Firmware Fix Requests for Next Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

LOVE LOVE LOVE my G4 (used primarily for P25 Trunking talkgroup monitoring). I already have the latest firmware v1.10 and PPS for my G4 Phase 2 pager. I know Unication reps view this forum and would simply like to make a few fix requests to consider for the next Firmware update:

1. Faster P25 talkgroup voice acquisition/decode...my G4 (regardless of voice buffer setting) regularly MISSES the first half a second of a lot of traffic (unit numbers are cut off/first cross street clipped). Happens on a full-bar systems, Phase I and no recording set.

2. A more robust fix for the previously mentioned issue of the RSSI control channel signal drop during talkgroup scanning mentioned in this thread:
https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/367641-g5-still-missing-txs.html

3. I monitor an agency that selectively runs encryption (dispatch in the clear/several mobiles encrypted). The volume level for encrypted garble is SO loud yet the un-encrypted side of the conversation is quite low in comparison...would like to recommend some type of option to mute encryption so that those of us with agencies that run 50/50 clear/encryption can monitor more comfortably.

The G4 is a beautiful unit and I think it's worth a million bucks and would love to see some of these small quirks looked at to make it perfect. Thank you for an amazing unit.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I can already see the comments of.. This is not a scanner.. on the way.
Doubt the encryption thing will be "fixed" as this "is not a scanner" and if your monitor a system with enc you would more then likely have the key for that system. So i dont see them working on that for you. As the agencies who use the G4/G5 would not be monitoring a system that is enc without having the key

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Doubt the encryption thing will be "fixed" as this "is not a scanner" and if your monitor a system with enc you would more then likely have the key for that system. So i dont see them working on that for you. As the agencies who use the G4/G5 would not be monitoring a system that is enc without having the key

I tend to agree with you on the encryption. Thought I don't like the mismatch in audio output on the few systems that have a mix.

Now if there is a similar disparity in the audio of decrypted transmissions and those in the clear on the same talk group, Unication should make an effort to fix that problem.

kg4pbd

LOVE LOVE LOVE my G4 (used primarily for P25 Trunking talkgroup monitoring). I already have the latest firmware v1.10 and PPS for my G4 Phase 2 pager. I know Unication reps view this forum and would simply like to make a few fix requests to consider for the next Firmware update:

1. Faster P25 talkgroup voice acquisition/decode...my G4 (regardless of voice buffer setting) regularly MISSES the first half a second of a lot of traffic (unit numbers are cut off/first cross street clipped). Happens on a full-bar systems, Phase I and no recording set.

2. A more robust fix for the previously mentioned issue of the RSSI control channel signal drop during talkgroup scanning mentioned in this thread:
https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/367641-g5-still-missing-txs.html

3. I monitor an agency that selectively runs encryption (dispatch in the clear/several mobiles encrypted). The volume level for encrypted garble is SO loud yet the un-encrypted side of the conversation is quite low in comparison...would like to recommend some type of option to mute encryption so that those of us with agencies that run 50/50 clear/encryption can monitor more comfortably.

The G4 is a beautiful unit and I think it's worth a million bucks and would love to see some of these small quirks looked at to make it perfect. Thank you for an amazing unit.

RE: Item 2, that issue was resolved, at least for me, in the Phase 2 firmware upgrade. The thread you reference was a thread I started regarding an issue with signal drop on patched talkgroups. I've had no issue with that since the Phase 2 firmware came out.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
I know this is tied to the radio system itself, but if the G4/G5 could include some sort of of AGC (or auto volume control) that would be my one request. Where I'm at I have some units that come in quiet, then others that come blasting through. It sure would be nice to set the volume knob once and just leave it alone.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

1. My G5 does not experience this, so I'm not sure if it's a model issue or not.

2. Agreed

3./ Don't think it's possible. The G4/G5 are capable of having encryption keys entered, so the design is to operate on encrypted channels. This is where the above "it is not a scanner" comes into play. Muting encryption would defeat the purpose of having an encryption capable pager.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I know this is tied to the radio system itself, but if the G4/G5 could include some sort of of AGC (or auto volume control) that would be my one request. Where I'm at I have some units that come in quiet, then others that come blasting through. It sure would be nice to set the volume knob once and just leave it alone.
Have you done the Phase 2 upgrade? The audio volume in my G4 is greatly evened out after I upgraded.

I also don't have problems with #1 above.

Scannerham62

Premium Subscriber
I like my G4 as well, I just wish it had a bigger battery. I have lowered the brightness as low as it will go and changed the display timeout to 3 seconds, (or whatever the lowest setting is), and I still cant get a full day of use out of it. Got it new from Rays. Its a P2 version.
I may be going deaf but I have to keep the volume at around 65 to really hear everything.
Your thoughts?

Casey

RE: Item 2, that issue was resolved, at least for me, in the Phase 2 firmware upgrade. The thread you reference was a thread I started regarding an issue with signal drop on patched talkgroups. I've had no issue with that since the Phase 2 firmware came out.

Yes the thread indicates with the latest firmware update the loss of signal has been brought down to about a second...however it does seem to still be in there as I notice frequent control channel signal drops twice in a row sometimes and then it recovers after a few seconds. Still kind of annoying on busy systems. Surely it can be refined further as the potential for lost conversations is present.

Casey

Agreed...I'm familiar with the fact that Unication does provide a facility/mechanism to load in decryption keys for authorized users but at the same time they must be aware thousands of us purchased it to listen as-is and it would be awesome to build in a little more intelligent software selectable workaround as more formerly in the clear agencies use selective encryption.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Try reflashing the units firmware.
I am not having the issues your referring to with problem 1.
I do suspect however that your device may be scanning a lot of TG, possibly active TG and thus you are seeing conversations coming through that are already in progress. Because there is no hold time, as soon as an active TG is done, it will go to the next active TG. OR if you have priority scan on, then an active TG is passing audio, system then will assign a TG that has higher priority and your device then has to lock onto that TG and pass its audio. In those instances yes its possible the device is busy and taking longer to acquire the TG and it seems like its cutting off.
Based on the info you provided those are my guesses.
AGC is not all its cracked up to be. Audio leveling would be nice. I have my KNG2-P800 set to -22 for my audio leveling. I have AGC OFF in both my APX7000 and KNG2-P800 as i dont like how it sounds with it on.

Casey

I do suspect however that your device may be scanning a lot of TG, possibly active TG and thus you are seeing conversations coming through that are already in progress. Because there is no hold time, as soon as an active TG is done, it will go to the next active TG. OR if you have priority scan on, then an active TG is passing audio, system then will assign a TG that has higher priority and your device then has to lock onto that TG and pass its audio.
I'm sure it's something related to that...I try to keep the scan list of talkgroups to a minimum...i can definitely say it does NOT happen with 1 or 2 talkgroups...seems to come up with anymore than that.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
The number of talk groups is not the issue. Its the number of active TG that is.
Example
I monitor a small city PD/FD with 10 or so channels. Never have any cut off or missed transmissions.
I can switch to a much larger city with 2 PD channels and a few FD channels (still less then the total number of TG then the smaller city) and i can from time to time get clipped transmissions. Its not an issue with the G4, its units stop talking and the TG immediately catches traffic on the next active TG. Or some cases the priority level might go from traffic of a lesser priority channel to a higher priority one.
The pager is working correctly. Cant fix that issue as it not an issue.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I like my G4 as well, I just wish it had a bigger battery. I have lowered the brightness as low as it will go and changed the display timeout to 3 seconds, (or whatever the lowest setting is), and I still cant get a full day of use out of it. Got it new from Rays. Its a P2 version.

I may be going deaf but I have to keep the volume at around 65 to really hear everything.

Your thoughts?

Maybe see if u can have ur battery replaced under warranty. My G5 monitors a very busy systems and runs sometimes from 7am to 7am before finally dying. A full 24 hrs, maybe I just got a super battery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdsxfire

EDBM
Since I changed my buffer setting before the new firmware I’ve had no issues of missed tx’s at all unless it’s due to a entry coming in after another one. I’ve monitored it right next to my dept radio and it is dead on with it.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Since I changed my buffer setting before the new firmware I’ve had no issues of missed tx’s at all unless it’s due to a entry coming in after another one. I’ve monitored it right next to my dept radio and it is dead on with it.

What buffer setting are you referring to?
Is it Voice Buffering in D-5

mdsxfire

EDBM
What buffer setting are you referring to?
Is it Voice Buffering in D-5

Yes this one
48a199bd4f8e31bf61f7fc083599d88b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.