SDS100 on P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP2

I been reading various posts about the SDS100 most are about the likes and dislikes about the bells & whistles. I would like to hear about how this scanner is performing on a Simulcast P25 Phase II system. Is the system your commenting about have more than three towers and how is it handling it. I full realize that every system is different and each have the little quirks on a scanner but I'm looking for over all performance.
Thanks for you comments
Mike

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Columbus, GA, is a simulcast P25 Phase II system, 3 towers. Never a problem.

The county is 210 sq. miles.

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
On the Fort Worth Regional Radio System, I have been extremely happy with my SDS100 and how much better it works on simulcast systems. I was about ready to stop trying to listen to the system with my BCD436HP. It is been a difference between night and day. I don't know how many towers we have without looking again, but I know we have over 10 sites and then multiple towers within each site. It has made a world of difference in my monitoring capabilities since this SDR scanner came out. I've been considering getting a Unification G4 or G5 once I can save up some more money just because I have a $100 discount or savings I won through a contest. But having talked to some friends with them, it's not something that will be easy to use like the SDS100, and I am legally blind which makes it more difficult for me, even though the Unification pagers may do a better job. But I don't have any complaints with how my SDS100 works on the simulcast systems I've tried it out on from Texas to Oregon. I really love it!

Brian
COMMSCAN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
NJICS in New Jersey. My area uses a five tower simulcast system. My SDS 100:is flawless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
In Bucks County PA which is a 700 megahertz P2 simulcast system with 26 Towers, many of them in the lower part of the county that are close together, where Whistler P2 doesn't work a lick and Uniden was always sketchy, the SDS 100 is unsatisfactory.

There are those who think it works great until they put the radio next to a professional radio like a Motorola or unication and realize how many missed Transmissions there are. In a portable situation or in a car it just doesn't work well. You can make it work in a fixed position by putting the system hold time on 255 but then you are unable to scan anything else with the radio.

I use the radio to supplement my Motorola and many other radios in my base set up that I use for other systems and frequencies. I set the system hold to 255 and monitor one talk group with it. Very expensive, massive disappointment.

With the display and all it would have been great if it had worked as advertised but then again all the P2 capable scanners would have been great... If they worked as advertised. I'm sure results are different throughout the country I'm only speaking for my own experience where I am located.

For all those who think it works great on their P2 simulcast system, see if you're able to get a professional radio from someone and put it next to yours to see if you are missing any Transmissions. It's hard to tell because we're not talking about broken Transmissions we are talking about full sentences and responses that just don't come through while sitting on one talk group or are scanned through when scanning. I'm sure it works fine for some people just not for me.

There are obviously QC issues as so many different results are gotten by so many different people on different systems and both analog and digital frequencies. I have no one to blame but myself as I once again got caught up in the hype. Buyer beware.

I gave my observations and said my peace and now all the fans can flame away and make their claims but still that's not going to help me in my situation. Also please no one tell me that they are two counties away and point their yaggi at one Tower and it works great. In my part of the county I move around in between three different Towers all the time and that's why it doesn't work well. Obviously the apx 7000 is flawless as that's the radio the county uses, and yes I know one is a professional tool and one is a toy. I know.

mule1075

Feed Provider
In Bucks County PA which is a 700 megahertz P2 simulcast system with 26 Towers, many of them in the lower part of the county that are close together, where Whistler P2 doesn't work a lick and Uniden was always sketchy, the SDS 100 is unsatisfactory.

There are those who think it works great until they put the radio next to a professional radio like a Motorola or unication and realize how many missed Transmissions there are. In a portable situation or in a car it just doesn't work well. You can make it work in a fixed position by putting the system hold time on 255 but then you are unable to scan anything else with the radio.

I use the radio to supplement my Motorola and many other radios in my base set up that I use for other systems and frequencies. I set the system hold to 255 and monitor one talk group with it. Very expensive, massive disappointment.

With the display and all it would have been great if it had worked as advertised but then again all the P2 capable scanners would have been great... If they worked as advertised. I'm sure results are different throughout the country I'm only speaking for my own experience where I am located.

For all those who think it works great on their P2 simulcast system, see if you're able to get a professional radio from someone and put it next to yours to see if you are missing any Transmissions. It's hard to tell because we're not talking about broken Transmissions we are talking about full sentences and responses that just don't come through while sitting on one talk group or are scanned through when scanning. I'm sure it works fine for some people just not for me.

There are obviously QC issues as so many different results are gotten by so many different people on different systems and both analog and digital frequencies. I have no one to blame but myself as I once again got caught up in the hype. Buyer beware.

I gave my observations and said my peace and now all the fans can flame away and make their claims but still that's not going to help me in my situation. Also please no one tell me that they are two counties away and point their yaggi at one Tower and it works great. In my part of the county I move around in between three different Towers all the time and that's why it doesn't work well. Obviously the apx 7000 is flawless as that's the radio the county uses, and yes I know one is a professional tool and one is a toy. I know.
We know the Motorola radio works for you. You tell us in almost everyone of the posts you make.

TOP2

Thank for you're honest option. This was a fair and quick test. I have had a lot of scanners over many years from the Crystal ones to the first Solid State ones and I too check using a professional radio such as Motorola or Harris. I know that we are paying good money in hopes that these scanners such as the SDS100 will do a good job but we must keep in mind that $700.00 as compared to a $4000.00 professional radio will be no match, however having said that running a test against a scanner such as the SDS100 gives a cheap and quick assessment of the scanner. I use my scanner in my vehicle and move around between system sites and it behaves a lot differently in the car than it does at home sitting on a talble. When you use a yaggi antenna pointed at simulcast site this does not give a fair assessment either.
When giving an assessment tell us what type system you are scanning, P25 Phase I or II 800/700, VHF P25 Phase I, Simulcast and how many towers. These things all give a fair picture of the radio to those that are asking for how well the scanner is performing.

Let's see how many others respond with an assessment such this one and it doesn't have to be compared to a professional radio either.

Mike

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Okay Mike I was only giving you my assessment because you asked in a thread. As you can see by the other response I probably will not be talking about this anymore. I used to be very active on this forum years ago but left, a lot of the people I spoke with at that time have left too.

We have had the system for a while and those in the news media business needed to find Alternatives a few years ago and we did.

I know of a few cases where I saved people a lot of money by not getting a radio that would not serve them well and was able to convince their employers to help with the high cost of a solution.

I too have been doing this since I was 11 years old before there was scanners and I'm just turning 65 and getting ready to retire. I also published a popular frequency listing in the 70s. Most people here are very happy with their radio and that's great. Our system here in the suburbs of Philly is a freaky one.

Good luck with your thread. Thanks for the opportunity to share my particular experience even though most people don't want to hear it. I was hoping for a lighter smaller alternative since the other radio pulls my pants down. 73s

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
well I had asked how it does on uhf dmr ,..not hooked up to an outdoor antenna either ,..apparently alot use it for p25 800mhz , & use an external antenna , but not so much dmr ,.. I was basically told its not a good question & to go buy one & see,..

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Trentbob,

Thanks for the intelligent post and sharing your experience. I'll continue to save my money for now, and avoid the hype too. I'll continue to hope that scanners will reach a higher quality soon, but I'll be using other options until then.

Happy Scanning!
Ben

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I monitor P25 Ohio MARCS system, multiple counties on multiple sites and towers and my SDS100 works like a charm. Does very well on vhf/uhf and uhf/dmr as well. No complaints whatsoever.

JD
kf4anc

phask

Premium Subscriber
I monitor P25 Ohio MARCS system, multiple counties on multiple sites and towers and my SDS100 works like a charm. Does very well on vhf/uhf and uhf/dmr as well. No complaints whatsoever.

JD
kf4anc
But not PH2 as the OP asked.(but then, no real difference between the PH1 and PH2)

Note your local co is a 6 site simulcast.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the kind words Ben. Foehammer, I don't monitor DMR but the post above endorses it. This Thread is about simulcast systems like in my system has one site called "simulcast" and every Tower broadcast the same thing simultaneously and is subject to LSM. You can't lock out sites. On systems with multiple sites the SDS 100 works great.

Also foehammer you are correct the SDS 100 was developed for simulcast systems subject to LSM which no scanner until now was able to properly work. This Thread is addressing those simulcast systems that are subject to LSM. It doesn't surprise me that you were treated the way you were here on RR.

Out of fairness I do have to say that the nxnd 48 system in the city of Trenton, NJ where I work the SDS 100 blows the doors off Whistler which with all the tweaks does not work but let's keep the thread on topic.

woodpecker

well I had asked how it does on uhf dmr ,..not hooked up to an outdoor antenna either ,..apparently alot use it for p25 800mhz , & use an external antenna , but not so much dmr ,.. I was basically told its not a good question & to go buy one & see,..

The trouble with the "go buy and see" means you have to buy the DMR key which won't be refunded if it doesn't work well, I've still seen no comparison videos for DMR.

AvidHiker

FYI there's a thread in the tavern basically dedicated to this topic (at least a majority of the reports seem to be for P2 simulcast):
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...ial-sds100-performance-report-google-doc.html

Obviously, for a large percentage of folks here, the "hype" became reality - which means Uniden fairly touted the enhanced LSM performance. So to dismiss the scanner as "all hype", just because it hasn't worked in your (seemingly unusual?) situation, is unfair. You don't need access to a professional radio to convince yourself that it works, it becomes quite obvious when you're able to completely follow conversations. ;)

The SDS is far more reliable on my local 4 tower site (NJICS), versus the 436, particularly when mobile. Either with the stock antenna or the RS800.

woodpecker

FYI there's a thread in the tavern basically dedicated to this topic (at least a majority of the reports seem to be for P2 simulcast):
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...ial-sds100-performance-report-google-doc.html

Obviously, for a large percentage of folks here, the "hype" became reality - which means Uniden fairly touted the enhanced LSM performance. So to dismiss the scanner as "all hype", just because it hasn't worked in your (seemingly unusual?) situation, is unfair. You don't need access to a professional radio to convince yourself that it works, it becomes quite obvious when you're able to completely follow conversations. ;)

The SDS is far more reliable on my local 4 tower site (NJICS), versus the 436, particularly when mobile. Either with the stock antenna or the RS800.

How does its DMR performance compare?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

You're right. I recently took a cross-country trip with the SDS100 (with Uniden GPS). Obviously, I encountered many systems of many type and varying numbers of towers. I don't know specifically how many were simulcast but I suspect a lot. I occasionally had problems with distant stations. That's understandable. The only other problems I had were with mobile or portables apparently in bad locations because I was able to hear other base and mobiles clearly on the same system and involved in the same conversation. Probably a third of my trip was in the mountains.

I have no complaints.

Admittedly, driving was my first priority so I may have missed some broadcast problems and, for what it's worth, the GPS was flawless.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I can't help feeling that we may be talkin about different systems here. I am familiar with the NJ interop and I don't believe it's like the simulcast system used in Bucks County. We may be talking apples and oranges here.

As far as seeing a majority of satisfied customers, that makes sense. I am very well aware of dissatisfied customers who no longer want to post on these forums as they don't like the bullying and rude comments.

On that note, thank you John for your pm saying that I "hit the nail on the head", I understand why you don't like to post on RR anymore after being a member since the beginning and so many posts! To the original poster thanks for starting your thread but I think you're being taken to school here as you shouldn't have done it because it's supposed to be somewhere else. LOL

Last edited:

radio3353

We know the Motorola radio works for you. You tell us in almost everyone of the posts you make.

Why the snarky comment? What is your point?

You and many others tell us in every post how well your SDS100 works, but others can't address its shortcomings?

Stop chasing people away. There is room for everybody.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.