BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Open Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
At present, I have upgraded to DMR, PV, & NXDN. Now, here is the big question. Will Uniden or any other scanner manufacturer ever offer Open Sky as a firmware upgrade option? If not, why. I searched & could not find where this has been addressed.

Last edited:

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Open sky I believe is encrypted and won’t come to scanners our main city is open sky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
I think Milwaukee will soon go to p25, with many of the issues it has had, and still are having, it will say"enough" and go to the new system, they need to, harris tyco disneyland is pulling the plug on it!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Duration of Death Cycle

Open sky, like Provoice, is a dying system.

I already know about the problems associated with Open Sky; however, there are several agencies using it here in Texas: DFW Airport Public Safety; Lower Colorado River Authority; & Hays County. I counted 11 Open Sky systems in Texas. There were around 23 EDACS systems in Texas.

At present, I listen to ProVoice on a daily basis. EDACS has been suffering a long death. Truthfully, I do not know how long a so-called obsolete or near-death radio system works without necessary upgrades and support services.

So, if Uniden forked out the money for a dying system, EDACS, what is preventing them from offering another one that is clearly being used to this very hour? If they offered Open Sky, they would have no other competitor. Whistler does not do ProVoice as you likely know.

Last edited:

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
Cause the number of systems used for opensky only accounts for .01% of the total systems.
And is not made for law enforcement, only data and some voice traffic, not the high demand that is needed

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Percentage

Cause the number of systems used for opensky only accounts for .01% of the total systems.
And is not made for law enforcement, only data and some voice traffic, not the high demand that is needed

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

I don't know where the .01% value originated. If you have access to the percentages of EDACS within the U.S., I would invite you to share this with us.

I guess that many folks were duped into buying this system. Perhaps, this is why Open Sky caused so many problems in various municipalities.

andrer9999

Not necessarily, although it can be, but not by default.

Open Sky was created by MA-COM, INC., which is a division of Harris.

Yes, you’re obviously right. I wasn’t paying attention and thought I was in the Wisconsin sub forum, where all our police and fire in Milwaukee uses it.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I think Milwaukee will soon go to p25, with many of the issues it has had, and still are having, it will say"enough" and go to the new system, they need to, harris tyco disneyland is pulling the plug on it!

That would be awesome since they are the main city here getting no traffic sucks

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you’re obviously right. I wasn’t paying attention and thought I was in the Wisconsin sub forum, where all our police and fire in Milwaukee uses it.

I’m in Wisconsin as well (south east) I get tons of traffic but hardly anything from Milwaukee

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
PA is dumping their OpenSky state system, and going to a P25. It is already in use in some areas for some agencies. Starting in NW PA and moving east for the next couple years. State Police is still encrypted though.

Firebuff880

Not necessarily, although it can be, but not by default.

Open Sky was created by MA-COM, INC., which is a division of Harris.

No it was not !! Open Sky was created in Lowell MA as a potential data only IP over radio solution for FedEx as the early cell systems were not cutting it. I don't recall the company name, but MA-COM purchased then in the hope that Open Sky would be the digital alternative to EDACS verses getting on the P25 train.

The rest is what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.