New handheld scanner stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I recently got this handheld scanner stand built. It works great! It works with the SDS100, BCD436HP style handhelds. It has some rubber strips to keep the radio from moving. It also has rubber feet on the bottom to prevent sliding around on the counter/desk. It's a handmade stand. I have the makers contact info if anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

66360d1541422067-scanner-holder-when-home-base-monitoring-img_2861.jpg

66361d1541422075-scanner-holder-when-home-base-monitoring-img_2862.jpg

66362d1541422085-scanner-holder-when-home-base-monitoring-img_2863.jpg

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I recently got this handheld scanner stand built. It works great! It works with the SDS100, BCD436HP style handhelds. It has some rubber strips to keep the radio from moving. It also has rubber feet on the bottom to prevent sliding around on the counter/desk. It's a handmade stand. I have the makers contact info if anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

Now that's clever, using a mike clip to hold that dang belt swivel button (I'm partial to real belt clips, myself).

Well done!

OhSixTJ

I did something similar in my old Jeep with a Proclip USA mount and a mic hanger clip to hang my uniden 396XT. Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DJ11DLN

I use a mic clip holder like that in my pickup when I want to take the 436 along but don't want to leave the Pro-18 at home. The latter stays put nicely in an extra-deep cell phone holder, the kind that squeezes together to hug the scanner and also supports it from the bottom. Couldn't find a reasonable place for a second one of those but the mic hanger clip wasn't a problem to locate & mount.

poormr

Premium Subscriber
I made a stand almost like the one safetyobc posted. Mine is straight due to having a backup power supply on the back. This has also provided good stability because of the longer antenna I use on my scanner.

Attachments

• IMG_1020 u.jpg
    IMG_1020 u.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_1019 u.jpg
    IMG_1019 u.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 988
  • IMG_1021 u.jpg
    IMG_1021 u.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 978

Tramagod

I was just thinking about making a stand of my own just today, that’s a very nice design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramagod

What’s the angle of your cut if you don’t mind me asking?

K2RNI

I use a mic clip holder like that in my pickup when I want to take the 436 along but don't want to leave the Pro-18 at home. The latter stays put nicely in an extra-deep cell phone holder, the kind that squeezes together to hug the scanner and also supports it from the bottom. Couldn't find a reasonable place for a second one of those but the mic hanger clip wasn't a problem to locate & mount.

I do the same with handhelds. Suctiony cell holder is the best way to go honestly. You can see while still keeping an eye on the road and provides the best reception all around being window height. I can scan low power ISM frequency devoces far out that way.

DJ11DLN

I do the same with handhelds. Suctiony cell holder is the best way to go honestly. You can see while still keeping an eye on the road and provides the best reception all around being window height. I can scan low power ISM frequency devoces far out that way.
Mine is actually hard-mounted. No amount of cleaning and scuffing would get the adhesive to keep the T-bracket attached so I pulled the dash apart and used a couple of stove bolts with largish washers. It's attached to the side of the "stash pocket" in the dash and bent to present the scanner so I can easily see & control it. If I take the 436, which I primarily use with the GPS puck, it gets the feed from the external antenna and the -18 has to tough it with the RS800 duckie, but it all still works OK. Where I put the mic hanger was just too low for a duck to work well.

Maybe I will post a pic of my indoor "scanner stands," which are hollowed out pieces of 4X4 with a partial relief so the speaker won't be covered. They aren't pretty but they keep the scanners upright and they were free after a little router work, which appeals to my born-again tighwad side.

Tramagod

Mine is actually hard-mounted. No amount of cleaning and scuffing would get the adhesive to keep the T-bracket attached so I pulled the dash apart and used a couple of stove bolts with largish washers. It's attached to the side of the "stash pocket" in the dash and bent to present the scanner so I can easily see & control it. If I take the 436, which I primarily use with the GPS puck, it gets the feed from the external antenna and the -18 has to tough it with the RS800 duckie, but it all still works OK. Where I put the mic hanger was just too low for a duck to work well.

Maybe I will post a pic of my indoor "scanner stands," which are hollowed out pieces of 4X4 with a partial relief so the speaker won't be covered. They aren't pretty but they keep the scanners upright and they were free after a little router work, which appeals to my born-again tighwad side.

Please do

Ravenkeeper

Another reason this forum needs a "LIKE" button on posts/comments.

DJ11DLN

Please do

I tried...I really did. About 25 attempts with a tablet resulted in that many unrecognizable blurs. And the camera on my ancient flip phone has blur built in due to years of wear on the lens in my pocket. So I will attempt it at a later date when I have something with an actual camera on it. I didn't want anybody to think I was ignoring you.

All it is, is a piece of wood 4X4 about 3" longer than the scanner with a relief cut into one side about 2" deep and about 1/2" overall larger than the footprint of the scanner. There is a cut through this to the side about 1" deep and about 1" narrower than the scanner, centered in the larger cut. This is where the speaker is located. The "lips" on either side prevent the scanner from falling over through the speaker cut. I smoothed it a bit with 40 grit and painted the cut with liquid tape to keep from scuffing the scanner, and that's worked pretty well. I found some little adhesive gel buttons in my junk collection and put 4 on the bottom to keep from marring surfaces. In a perfect world it would be built from a laminated block of curly maple, have green baize felt fitted to the cut and on the bottom, and would have a fine furniture grade finish like the one the OP built, but I am not a woodsmith.

Like I said, cheap, ugly, and functional. Once I get something with a working camera on it I'll post a pic in the shack pics section.

That is really cool.
I did kinda the same thing in my car.
I used a mic clip screwed into the dash board,
It looks ok and my HT slides into place and I can see
channels at a glance.
Also the audio comes right to my bad hearing ears.
Good luck
DW
So. Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.