DMR Mobile with detachable head

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have been considering a replacement for my Alinco DR638 in my truck and am starting to get interested in doing DMR on 2m and 440. I have an Anytone D868UV portable and a TYT MD9600 mobile at home, they work fine but for the truck I would want a couple things the MD9600 lacks.

Here is my wish list:

• Dual Watch or true dual receive for V-U, V-V or U-U operation.
  • At least 100 channels per Zone (Knocks out the MD9600 since it only has 16 channels per Zone). I don't want to have to change Zones to scroll thru many channels. I use this radio extensively for monitoring railroads on the second band and I often have to switch between many channels as I go.
  • Remote or Removable head (another knock on the MD9600).
  • The ability to have split DPL Codes for RX & TX.
  • The ability to program channels as RX Only.
  • Part 90 Type Acceptance.
  • VFO Mode for 2M & 440.
Other stuff like 220 coverage, Part 95, Aircraft band reception etc. would be icing on the cake but not deal breakers.

I know the VFO mode and Part 90 Type Acceptance are contradictory but somehow the D868UV and DR636 has it and I think the MD9600 does too. I am not looking at restarting that whole controversy but I would like to be able to change freqs and tones etc. at least on the ham bands without the laptop.

I understand that a mobile version of the AT D868UV has been talked about, if this has a remote head it might be the one for me.

Any other ideas as to a radio that fits these needs?

Will001

Premium Subscriber
MD9600 can have way more than 16 channels per zone. I just confirmed it with the software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N9JIG

Sheriff
MD9600 can have way more than 16 channels per zone. I just confirmed it with the software.

Wow, it looks like you are right. I must have seen that with an older version of the software so I never tried it until reading your post.

Thanks!

If it had a removable head I would probably get another one and put it in the truck, it really has great audio! I just have no place to put it in my Expedition due to the center console etc. I might revisit that this week however and see if I can wedge it in someplace where the wife won't complain about it.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Very few (if any) radios meet every item on your list. The only one I know of that has most of the items on the list AND a standard, included, detachable remote head is the Connect Systems CS800D.
Connect Systems
Yes... I have one and use it mobile.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Rich,
They seem similar and spec sheets can be misleading so read carefully. Dual watch without the 2nd receiver will interrupt your selected channel to check for activity on the watch channel. I find that more disruptive than hearing two channels at the same time. My apologies if you were already familiar with the differences.

"Dual Watch or true dual receive for V-U, V-V or U-U operation."

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich,
They seem similar and spec sheets can be misleading so read carefully. Dual watch without the 2nd receiver will interrupt your selected channel to check for activity on the watch channel. I find that more disruptive than hearing two channels at the same time. My apologies if you were already familiar with the differences.

"Dual Watch or true dual receive for V-U, V-V or U-U operation."

The way I understand it is that Dual Watch scans back and forth so if one is active the other won't be, where as Dual Receive actually has 2 receivers so that one can hear activity simultaneously on both bands.

If that is correct then obviously Dual Receive would be preferable but I could live with Dual Watch. (What I am doing is not mission critical...) I rarely, if ever scan with the dual bander, I usually monitor the local railroad road channel on the Sub band and my GMRS or ham channel on the main band.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Late to the party here, but the closest thing I can think of that meets most of your wishlist is a Moto XPR-series radio...

✘ Dual Watch or true dual receive for V-U, V-V or U-U operation.
✔ At least 100 channels per Zone
✔ Remote or Removable head (another knock on the MD9600).
✔ The ability to have split DPL Codes for RX & TX.
✔ The ability to program channels as RX Only.
✔ Part 90 Type Acceptance.
✘ VFO Mode for 2M & 440.

There are two types of remote head for the 5550 series, one is the standard "front panel remote", and the other is a handheld control head which, if you end up with a V and U radio, will keep the dashboard clutter way down...

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Late to the party here, but the closest thing I can think of that meets most of your wishlist is a Moto XPR-series radio... ...

Which is why, to date, I still have two (5550s) for my mobile. 1 VHF 1 UHF. The 4500 series prices seem to have come way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.