PRO 197 Not Decoding VC on trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
In the past few days my PRO197 has been having more and more issues with decoding the VC on a Motorola Type II SmartZone system. I have not made any changes to the scanner, (location, programming, antenna, etc) but have been hearing more traffic that is totally static on voice channels. I only have the control channels programmed in and the traffic is going through those CCs, I'm not having the same problem on my other scanners. This is not happening on every call, just every several minutes, but it has become more frequent.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the issues?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
In the past few days my PRO197 has been having more and more issues with decoding the VC on a Motorola Type II SmartZone system. I have not made any changes to the scanner, (location, programming, antenna, etc) but have been hearing more traffic that is totally static on voice channels. I only have the control channels programmed in and the traffic is going through those CCs, I'm not having the same problem on my other scanners. This is not happening on every call, just every several minutes, but it has become more frequent.

Is that system transitioning to Phase 2?

Sent using Tapatalk

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
possibly encrypted traffic. Its hard to tell without hearing a sample of the noise in question.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Not encrypted, it's normal ems/fire some traffic is fine but every so often it isn't decoding

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Analog VC

If the system you're monitoring hasn't changed, and the radio (programming) hasn't changed; it sounds like increased interference. Nearby cell & paging towers are notorious for the issue you describe.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Okay thanks. Probably the result of exterior interference as you say. There is no pattern to it.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Wake has been working on microwave backhaul issues as well as adjusting coverage patterns in advance of P25 migration early next year. There will be more tweaking and coverage changes as the next few months progress. Authorized system users like myself have noticed the audio quality changes on radios such as my APX 8000XE and my APX 6000 so it is not just scanners.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.