Taking the SDS100 plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

eg153wftx

Ok I am going to purchase the SDS100 after selling my HP2. My main concern when ordering how can I be certain I am getting a unit that has all the current firmware and one that has all the initial release "bugs" fixed also will all new purchases come with the longer life battery?

Just worried after spending this amount of money that I do not want a unit that has been sitting in stock room somewhere that has been there since initial release and does not do what is promised in advertising.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
You don't have to worry about getting one that's been sitting in a stockroom and didn't get shipped out when they were first being sold. They sold out immediately and if you're not buying a used one you won't be getting one of the first batches. I believe they sold out in the pre-purchasing stage but I might be wrong about that part?

As far as the "bugs" you refer to go, these are just normal things that get addressed and fixed or updates to make something better. And even if you get one now, you're still going to be doing firmware upgrades as they become available. It doesn't mean that something was wrong with the scanner necessarily when you do a firmware upgrade. And the free Sentinel software makes it pretty much "dummy proof", and I'm not calling you a dummy either [emoji5], in doing any firmware or software upgrades. It is super simple and in order for you to hook your radio up and use the software you will be told that you need to update the version of the Sentinel software if a new version has been released. There is a drop-down menu at the top that has both the firmware upgrades option and the database update option if I'm remembering correctly. So you can always check when you hook your radio up to your computer also. It really is nothing difficult whatsoever.

You'll get the new battery, but if you have any doubts, call the company you're buying it from and ask them.

Have fun with your new radio!

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tramagod

I don’t know if you’ve decided on where you’ll purchase from but I bought mine two weeks ago from Scannermaster and I got one with the big battery, which makes it a late production model, and it already had the latest firmware installed. Good luck on your purchase, wherever you buy from I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
I did the exact same thing...

Sold my HP2 and just got my SDS100 in from Bearcat Warehouse - had the big battery.
Still playing around with it and customizing...definitely does better on SIMULCAST than the HP-2.

However next to my Unication G4 - it's still not as good as it. But its a trade off - its got GPS option which I sprang for and its a true scanner which is NOT what the G4 is.

Overall Happy - just getting it all customized - screen colors - programming etc.

ansky

I did the exact same thing...

Sold my HP2 and just got my SDS100 in from Bearcat Warehouse - had the big battery.
Still playing around with it and customizing...definitely does better on SIMULCAST than the HP-2.

However next to my Unication G4 - it's still not as good as it. But its a trade off - its got GPS option which I sprang for and its a true scanner which is NOT what the G4 is.

Overall Happy - just getting it all customized - screen colors - programming etc.

I am also thinking of selling my HP2 and buying an SDS. Based on current Ebay sales it looks like the HP2 is selling for around $300-350. I have the extreme upgrade so that should give it a little more value.

How is the SDS performing on analog? I saw some complaints about the analog reception in other threads. I l listen to a lot of analog so I need that to perform well.

Tramagod

I am also thinking of selling my HP2 and buying an SDS. Based on current Ebay sales it looks like the HP2 is selling for around $300-350. I have the extreme upgrade so that should give it a little more value.

How is the SDS performing on analog? I saw some complaints about the analog reception in other threads. I l listen to a lot of analog so I need that to perform well.

I think the analog issues may have something to do with location. I’ve read lots of complaints about it as well but I haven’t had any problems personally. I get analog quite well. Basically I just think it’s a crap shoot.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I think the analog issues may have something to do with location. I’ve read lots of complaints about it as well but I haven’t had any problems personally. I get analog quite well. Basically I just think it’s a crap shoot.

I think you are correct, Tramagod. I receive analog just as well as my Pro-2006, hearing airport towers 17 miles away. Hearing dot radios at a mall area 12 miles away very good. Have a friend in Dayton who couldn't hear my county at all with SDS100 and stock antenna. I walked him through setting up his location specifications (he had zero range)and suggested the Remtronix antenna and now he has a brand new radio. So, location can be a factor in poor reception, and also antenna selection.

With this radio, I have learned that one little misstep in programming/settings is the difference between a great scanner and a hunk of deaf plastic.

JD
kf4anc

Tramagod

I think you are correct, Tramagod. I receive analog just as well as my Pro-2006, hearing airport towers 17 miles away. Hearing dot radios at a mall area 12 miles away very good. Have a friend in Dayton who couldn't hear my county at all with SDS100 and stock antenna. I walked him through setting up his location specifications (he had zero range)and suggested the Remtronix antenna and now he has a brand new radio. So, location can be a factor in poor reception, and also antenna selection.

With this radio, I have learned that one little misstep in programming/settings is the difference between a great scanner and a hunk of deaf plastic.

JD

kf4anc

[emoji106]

Status
Not open for further replies.