CTCSS tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7cma

I am a new feed provider, so please easy on me. Here is the problem. The city PD uses tone on their tx, I believe it is 203.5. I can hear this tone in my feed. The radio I am using does not have decode capability, if I add a decoder board and use tone squelch would I be able to attenuate the tone so it is not heard? I am sure it is the CTCSS I am hearing because none of the other stations do not have the tone in their tx.

Thanks for your time.

Ubbe

It depends on the tone board if the audio goes through it so it can be filtered and then have a "clean" audio out connection to use.

/Ubbe

paulears

Radios with CTCSS usually have good tone suppression, as it would annoy the users, so if you use an external board, it is that making the difference. Of course, if you have an old high graphic EQ laying around, or even buy one one ebay, that would work - IF - your audio output from the radio is line level, and not speaker level, which it probably is. The hifi graphic works on discriminator feeds quite well, but not sure what your interface arrangements are. Otherwise, you'll have to build a high pass filter - only a few passive components.

cmdrwill

No one in their right mind would use a CTCSS tone that high, except to discourage scanner listeners.

So yes, you would need a high pass filter in the audio to suck out the tone.

paulears

er, I use one near there on my repeater, a bit higher, actually - and it's not a bother to any of the users, as the Kenwood radios I have on it have pretty sharp high pass filters - you can just detect it. Scanner users don't come into it. I picked it because it was well away from the others I use.

w7cma

Radios with CTCSS usually have good tone suppression, as it would annoy the users, so if you use an external board, it is that making the difference. Of course, if you have an old high graphic EQ laying around, or even buy one one ebay, that would work - IF - your audio output from the radio is line level, and not speaker level, which it probably is. The hifi graphic works on discriminator feeds quite well, but not sure what your interface arrangements are. Otherwise, you'll have to build a high pass filter - only a few passive components.

Thanks for answering , I am taking audio out of the headphone jack , the radio is a Yaesu FT 8100, there is a decode board available I can buy. I have installed a 300 Hz high pass filter on the phone jack output but does not work. I may order the decode board and try it. If I can find an EQ I will try that first, probably cheaper than the board. Thanks again.

paulears

If the 300Hz filter doesn't work - something else is wrong. If you have something like Audacity (a sound app) on your computer, you can record a little bit and actually analyse what the tone is to see if it really is a CTCSS tone, or something else. The filters in the tone boards are quite mild, so if the injection level of the tone is high, then I doubt they'd do much.

w7cma

If the 300Hz filter doesn't work - something else is wrong. If you have something like Audacity (a sound app) on your computer, you can record a little bit and actually analyse what the tone is to see if it really is a CTCSS tone, or something else. The filters in the tone boards are quite mild, so if the injection level of the tone is high, then I doubt they'd do much.

Thank You For replying,
I have recorded and analyzed a portion with Audacity, the tone is right at 203 Hz right where the frequency listing says the station tone is 203.5 Hz. So I am confident thats what it is. What I don't understand is why the 300 Hz filter wont null it out. I have been monitoring this station locally for the last 7 years and the tone has been there, but now that I am broadcasting I would like to filter it out. My next step is to find an EQ . Thaks again.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
No one in their right mind would use a CTCSS tone that high, except to discourage scanner listeners.

I guess the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection is insane. They use 192.8.

nd5y

That's not an issue with high end radio radios or even most cheap chinese radios that use the WOC chipsets. The only radios I have seen that don't have a 300 Hz high pass filter for the speaker audio are scanners and Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu/Alinco ham rigs.

ecps92

Using the higher Tones has been done [and continues[ Very Well in many areas. :cool: Since the 80's

IT comes down to the proper adjustments, there are many 203.5 Hz
systems where you can not even detect the CTCSS, yet then there are
plenty of others where it is "over driven"

Status
Not open for further replies.