HF activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

magic_lantern

Are the bands really as dead as they seem? I have never heard it so quiet.. are we stuck in some kind of sun activity that is killing HF.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
It's not solar activity... 160M has been showing normal seasonal activity increases. 15M has been open often (unlike earlier this year). And killing what... SSB? CW? RTTY? (YES to all three.) FT8? Absolutely NOT. FT8 is where all the QSOs have gone. Don't shoot the messenger... these facts are supported by PSKReporter.info for data modes, and ARRL's Logbook of the World for all others. As a further check, this coming weekend is the ARRL Phone Sweepstakes. I expect it will be propagation / activity as normal for other contests.... and fall right back to mostly FT8 after the weekend.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's not solar activity... 160M has been showing normal seasonal activity increases. 15M has been open often (unlike earlier this year). And killing what... SSB? CW? RTTY? (YES to all three.) FT8? Absolutely NOT. FT8 is where all the QSOs have gone. Don't shoot the messenger... these facts are supported by PSKReporter.info for data modes, and ARRL's Logbook of the World for all others. As a further check, this coming weekend is the ARRL Phone Sweepstakes. I expect it will be propagation / activity as normal for other contests.... and fall right back to mostly FT8 after the weekend.

I totally agree! It's a ghost town. :confused:

prcguy

I'm on HF every day most of the day. In the mornings I have a net on 40m and I occasionally chat with friends on 75m before the band drops out late morning. In the afternoon is a couple more 40m nets and sometimes a contest between a local friend on who has the best signal on 17 and 20m DX. Then comes various 75-80m nets in the evening. 10m can open here and there where I make a few interesting contacts.

So the bands are a little weak but certainly not dead.

Are the bands really as dead as they seem? I have never heard it so quiet.. are we stuck in some kind of sun activity that is killing HF.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The bands are dead? No. Everybody has moved to FT8? No.

We are still in the valley of the sunspot activity. Hopefully, we'll come out of that valley over the next five years or so. Until then, the bands are quiet, but certainly not dead.

You can get an idea of band activity by looking at various propagation or DX spot monitors. The spot monitor on dxheat.com is pretty clear. As I type this, there is activity from North America into South America on 15m and 20m, into North America on 20m and 40m, and Europe on 40m.

Maybe you are listening to the wrong bands at the wrong times of the day. Maybe your antenna could stand some work. Of course, if you just start calling CQ, you might drum up some activity.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Bands are only dead when you're not on em

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The bands are dead? No. Everybody has moved to FT8? No.
Most definitely not "dead." I've been on 40m and 20m for the past three weeks and have made a lot of contacts.

One of the most intriguing contacts was with:
C0jbb.png

I'm certainly glad I didn't ask what the operator was wearing in the Texas heat! :lol:

Boombox

They're 'dead' compared to maybe 6 years ago, yeah, the relative amount of activity is down, probably due to propagation. Same with the SWBC bands. The other night 49 meters was nothing but static, even Radio Havana was missing.

Haven't seen it that bad in a while. Usually Radio Havana is about as dependable as the local power grid.

So, yeah, prop is down, but there still is activity from night to night, a.m. to a.m., usually.

majoco

Stirrer
This afternoon while playing with a DDS signal generator and comparing it with WWVH on 15MHz, I was surprised to hear BPM very well, almost the same signal as WWVH, both were S9+ about 1500local/0200UTC. AIR was doing well this morning at 0600local/1700UTC too until the sun came up.

TheSpaceMann

Was plenty of activity in the recent contest! You got to make LONG CQs on the bands, so other hams can pick you up on their scopes!! :)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Was plenty of activity in the recent contest! You got to make LONG CQs on the bands, so other hams can pick you up on their scopes!! :)

Boy howdy, you are sure right there! Both 40m and 20m were the busiest I've ever seen over the past 15 years or so. I could barely get a edge in wordwise... :lol:

TheSpaceMann

Boy howdy, you are sure right there! Both 40m and 20m were the busiest I've ever seen over the past 15 years or so. I could barely get a edge in wordwise... :lol:
Yep! The bands may not be where they were at the peak, but there is still quite a bit of activity going on! One can see it by checking the website www.DXmaps.cpm daily.

KE0GXN

I am having no problem making Qs. Modest set-up....multi-band dipole at 100 watts if that, due to non-resonant antenna and I still made a bunch of DX contacts during the recent CQ WW contest.

I stopped believing the bands were dead awhile back. I am now a firm believer that the more folks that get on the air, the more propagation can be created.

Enjoying listening to Mid Cars right now....stations are coming in decent from all over. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.