SDS100 and Digi TV stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidlee_64

Should I be able to pick up digital TV stations? The channels are listed in the data base. I am having issues with a certain tv station not working at a specific time, then working again. I would like to try to confirm if there is actual outage, or a malfunction of my tv and antenna system.
OTA channel 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3. Everything has worked for at least 6 months with no problem. on 11/2, @ 11:30 pm, channel dropped off. Signal came back on approximately 4:30 am. It did the same thing 11/3, same time. It has been working fine until 11/ 10, when suddenly, at 11 pm, it dropped off again. It resumed working at 4:30 again, as before. The time matches the show I wanted to watch. The show time is 1/2 hour different on weekends.
I am new to the scanner world, so please excuse my "newby" questions.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Should you be able to? Yes, I think it would be nice to be able to listen to TV audio again on various radio receivers. Can you? No, ATSC demodulation is not a feature of the SDS 100.

I am dealing with a similar issue at home and it's extremely unlikely that the TV station is going off the air. most likely you have a strong transmitter interfering at that channel's frequency or at a harmonic of it, i.e. transmitter freq is exactly half or exactly double the TV channel freq.

It might be an FM station and an FM trap could be installed to help. It could be LTE (cellular 4G) interference and an LTE filter may help. It may be neither.

MFCJR

Because of new FCC rules certain TV stations require a change to the over-the-air signal. Transmitters must be turned off at times so you won't receive a over-the-air signal. This could go on for almost a year. This is happening to my local NBC Station and most days there is no signal during working hours. But it comes back on at night.

marksmith

I have noticed 3 different over the air stations going dark for some period of time recently. All subchannels of that main digital channel also go dark.

Later in the day or the next day they are back.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Because of new FCC rules certain TV stations require a change to the over-the-air signal. Transmitters must be turned off at times so you won't receive a over-the-air signal. This could go on for almost a year. This is happening to my local NBC Station and most days there is no signal during working hours. But it comes back on at night.

Any link to these new rules?
I do recall hearing something about a change to OTA TV but I think it was just to support 4K or UHD possibly, can't really remember.

I do use the OTA signal from most channels in my area and have never seen them shutdown during certain periods of the night or day so I'd love to see this FCC rule if it does exist.

MFCJR

From my local TV Station. In 2017 the federal communications commission concluded an auction of a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum to wireless mobile carriers. For TV stations that chose not to participate in the auction, they must move their signals into a newly designated portion of spectrum. This initiative includes TV stations throughout the entire country and is commonly known as the "TV Repack" initiative. The work must be completed by August 2019. There will be times that for safety of the crews working on the broadcast tower and with the television transmitter that the signal must be turned off.

Davidlee_64

There have been no further disruptions since the 11/10/18 outage. There has been an announcement on another channel that about the end of November, their OTA frequency will be changed, and the TV will need to be rescanned. I believe it is 61 and sub-channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.