Winter vs summer recption

Status
Not open for further replies.

squad1b

Is scanner reception affected by the winter. More than summer?. I seem to be having issues receiving a city now that winter is here .this summer the same city was Crystal clear.I have tried updating my talk groups does not seem to help.
Scott

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
If your listening to 700/800 system yes, when the leaves drop from the trees signals change ….I have found the different temperatures come with more or less humidity and makes a difference.....I don't care how people dispute it I see it for a fact here in Illinois....

Hans13

I experience the same thing until the wet leaves fall from the trees; moreso when transmitting and receiving on UHF. There has been a marked degradation in the quality of audio in the public safety system I monitor since the cold, wet weather has set in. Moisture in the air appears to affect my two-way UHF ability all year round but seems like to a greater extent in the fall.

jfr

What's interesting about 800Mhz systems and the leaves falling off...I've seen some simulcast systems seem worse after the leaves come down. This is because the receiver is now hearing more simulcast sites as interference, both analog and P25.

-JR

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I think reception around where I live is much better especially in January-February. I can sometimes pick up a sheriffs dept around 90 miles away with a small portable during winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2RNI

Yeah I'm all about LoBand and HiBand VHF in the cold months and UHF and 900 MHz in the hot months. Sporadic E, Tropo Scatter, and Ducting are also a thing during the summer months. Now it's all super low frequencies only, I was hearing WWV on 2.5 MHz nicely today during the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.