OpenSky decoding??? Anyway to accomplish it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saboken

Premium Subscriber
I have been searching for a way to decode OpenSky but haven't seen anything for this yet? Is anyone working on it? Can it be done with a SDR? Or should I give up and hope Uniden or someone else builds a Scanner that decodes OpenSky, Uniden managed NXDN and nobody thought it would happen.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Given the fact that agencies like Commonwealth of PA & Milwaukee Public Safety have had serious issues with OpenSky & with the former in the process of replacing their system with P25, If the subscriber radios face such issues, I seriously doubt an upgrade released for a scanner radio will be reliable

saboken

Premium Subscriber
Given the fact that agencies like Commonwealth of PA & Milwaukee Public Safety have had serious issues with OpenSky & with the former in the process of replacing their system with P25, If the subscriber radios face such issues, I seriously doubt an upgrade released for a scanner radio will be reliable
Is PA replacing the open sky system? I haven’t been there since 2014 (I own a house in cambria county) if they are dropping the opensky System I have no need to monitor OS, I have just been try to find a way to monitor them when I am up there.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Is PA replacing the open sky system? I haven’t been there since 2014 (I own a house in cambria county) if they are dropping the opensky System I have no need to monitor OS, I have just been try to find a way to monitor them when I am up there.
Yes. There is a mixture of 800MHz and VHF being used to replace the OS system.

Sent using Tapatalk

fredva

Feed Provider
I would recommend looking in the Pennsylvania Forum for info on the OpenSky replacement. Just from glancing at a few posts, it is definitely being replaced but the timeline for its retirement seems to be in question.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The replacement of the PA-STARNet OpenSky system is well under way, with quite a bit of its replacement Motorola ASTRO 25 VHF/800 system already built out. They're clearly not playing around with getting rid of that awful system as quickly as possible.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9276

Sadly, for those rejoicing over the fact that they're migrating from a proprietary, unmonitorable system to a standards based P25 system, they're likely going to be disappointed by the realization that the PSP talkgroups will be fully encrypted on the new system.

fredva

Feed Provider
The replacement of the PA-STARNet OpenSky system is well under way, with quite a bit of its replacement Motorola ASTRO 25 VHF/800 system already built out. They're clearly not playing around with getting rid of that awful system as quickly as possible.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9276

Sadly, for those rejoicing over the fact that they're migrating from a proprietary, unmonitorable system to a standards based P25 system, they're likely going to be disappointed by the realization that the PSP talkgroups will be fully encrypted on the new system.

I had just seen some recent posts in this thread about the OpenSky system possibly being online for some users until 2022, even though the build of the new system is well underway: https://forums.radioreference.com/p...49313-pa-statewide-p25-phase-2-system-54.html That's why I said there was some question about the retirement date.

Status
Not open for further replies.