BCD396T Homebrew Remote Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB0VHB

K2RNI

Shame Uniden Stopped making the RH96 too soon, was a great little unit. Bunch of idiots now, will just stick to Whistler.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Uniden stopped making them because no one was buying them because the price point was too high. It was only after Uniden ceased production that people started desiring them.

The built in remoteable head that Whilster makes is one of two things that they do better than Uniden. The other is Scan Lists, which are very flexible and better than the Favorites List & System system that Uniden uses.

Shame Uniden Stopped making the RH96 too soon, was a great little unit. Bunch of idiots now, will just stick to Whistler.

WB0VHB

BCD396T or Uniden Serial Port Commands

Maybe my previous title wasn't accurate? I'm trying to communicate with my 396T via the serial port using the DB9 cable that came with the scanner.

Using Hyperterminal or Procomm does not work, no garbage characters, just dead. I've used both a straight through and null modem cable with these communications programs. Tried sending upper case commands listed in other RR postings and nothing.

But I can use Freescan to program and view the virtual scanner so I know the cable and serial port work.

Ultimately once serial communication is working, I'll use an Arduino to write to a larger LCD.

Is there a wake up or serial setup command for the 396T?

Ubbe

If you just push the enter key it should respond with a question mark and if you send STS you should receive the scanners current status. You have to use the same speed and protocol as the scanner are set to and that freescan are using and the same cable that works for programming.

It could be some setting in Hyperterminal that's not right, comport number, speed, number of bits and odd/even setting, handshake CTS/DTR not set and what else are there. It should work if you can use the same cable and computer for virtual scanner use.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.