Computer programable handheld?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ct_Pirate

Just revived the need for communication equipment
Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to pic up a new hand held scanner. Anyone have a preference? And I'd like to be able to program via computer if possible.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
What are you looking to monitor? That's probably the biggest factor in deciding what to buy. If you're looking for State Police in your area, you will have to get a P25 Phase II capable scanner, and all of those are computer programmable. The ones that will do it are the BCD436HP, SDS100, HP-2, BCD325P2, WS-1080, WS-1088 and TRX-1 that I can think of off the top of my head and Whistler is scheduled to release the TRX-100 in the first quarter of 2019.

Ct_Pirate

Premium Subscriber
Just for local PD, fire and services not really looking for state pd as its not easy to set that whole deal up.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Just for local PD, fire and services not really looking for state pd as its not easy to set that whole deal up.

You're still going to need a scanner capable of P25 although it opens some older models up to you. The BCD396T or BCD396XT, Whistler WS-1040 (or any of it's GRE/Radio Shack equvalents), Icom R30, and the AOR DV-10 can be added to your list, but I agree with drdialtone, the best option is a BCD325P2 with the TRX-1 a close second.

Ct_Pirate

Premium Subscriber
I see full time encryption for your town.

AWESOME

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You're still going to need a scanner capable of P25 although it opens some older models up to you. The BCD396T or BCD396XT, Whistler WS-1040 (or any of it's GRE/Radio Shack equvalents), Icom R30, and the AOR DV-10 can be added to your list, but I agree with drdialtone, the best option is a BCD325P2 with the TRX-1 a close second.

To be clear, the R30 and DV-10 can't trunk at all; they'd work OK for conventional stuff. And you can't do anything about the encryption - you can't hear them no matter what radio you choose

Mike

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
To be clear, the R30 and DV-10 can't trunk at all; they'd work OK for conventional stuff. And you can't do anything about the encryption - you can't hear them no matter what radio you choose

Mike

and everything except the state police in his local area is conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.