• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Killer Motorola 4002 Mobile Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage339

Motorola 4002 40 channel mobile CB. Midland HF 747 100 Watt booster. Roof mounted 9 foot whip. 9 feet of RG8X coax. Now that's a mini blow torch. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20181122_103630579~2.jpg
    IMG_20181122_103630579~2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_20181122_103643383~2.jpg
    IMG_20181122_103643383~2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 558

Savage339

The US made Motorola Mocat series is still my favorite AM rig, I still have several.

I can see why. I've recently been schooled in these radios. Made in suburban Chicago in the mid to late 70's. Gotta love the stock power mike! Allegedly, Motorola said "If we're going to put our name on a CB radio, it's going to be a step above the rest in quality and durability." They were serious. It's true that these radios we're "over built". This radio is 40 years old, and it looks, feels, sounds, and performs like it's new. I guess several law enforcement agencies used these. My local CB tech says these were the radios to have at the time, but not a whole lot were sold, because they were rather expensive. Also, they were harder to work on, and there wasn't much you could do to tweak and peak them. They were set up nice at the factory, and nothing needed to be improved. I also laughed when I read about people not knowing that the stock mike was powered, and if you wired an aftermarket power mike to it, you would end up with worse modulation than the "stock power mike" provided.
Cheers. Dean from Denver.

Attachments

• IMG_20181122_102749104.jpg
    IMG_20181122_102749104.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 476
Back in the mid 70's I was running a large MSS shop and I ordered one for myself. The first model was a 23 channel radio, I ordered the 40 channel rotary switch and swapped mine and it became a 40 channel radio. Still have it.

prcguy

I see your in Denver. In the mid/late 70s I worked at probably the busiest CB/car stereo shop in CO down in the Springs. Maybe I originally sold that radio to somebody 49yrs ago.

I can see why. I've recently been schooled in these radios. Made in suburban Chicago in the mid to late 70's. Gotta love the stock power mike! Allegedly, Motorola said "If we're going to put our name on a CB radio, it's going to be a step above the rest in quality and durability." They were serious. It's true that these radios we're "over built". This radio is 40 years old, and it looks, feels, sounds, and performs like it's new. I guess several law enforcement agencies used these. My local CB tech says these were the radios to have at the time, but not a whole lot were sold, because they were rather expensive. Also, they were harder to work on, and there wasn't much you could do to tweak and peak them. They were set up nice at the factory, and nothing needed to be improved. I also laughed when I read about people not knowing that the stock mike was powered, and if you wired an aftermarket power mike to it, you would end up with worse modulation than the "stock power mike" provided.
Cheers. Dean from Denver.

n1nte

I believe these were marketed toward public safety users back in the 1970s. Many police vehicles had CB radios in them back then and since it was likely they already had a Motorola in the vehicle it was logical to purchase another one for CB.

I agree that these great radios. I have a few and would like to find some more in good condition. I had a Motorola base mic attached to one at one point in the past. Worked great.

prcguy

These were marketed toward your everyday Joe or Billie Bob. Our store was probably the first in the area to sell them and I remember talking with the sales rep that visited our shop who wanted to make sure the Motorola items were prominently displayed.

I believe these were marketed toward public safety users back in the 1970s. Many police vehicles had CB radios in them back then and since it was likely they already had a Motorola in the vehicle it was logical to purchase another one for CB.

I agree that these great radios. I have a few and would like to find some more in good condition. I had a Motorola base mic attached to one at one point in the past. Worked great.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I almost wish someone made a modern CB to commercial standards today (with I/Os on the rear). Especially in a modern form factor (because Mack and Peterbilt can’t understand commercial radios are large format).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrlightfoot

i have a few NOS still in the box, even have the mobile to base conversion with base mics

K4EET

Chaplain
i have a few NOS still in the box, even have the mobile to base conversion with base mics

Ooohhhhhhh... How I would like to have one of those with the base conversion. I am an ex-Motorola employee from the '70s/'80s time-frame. Like a dummy, I didn't get one back then and it wasn't until much later that I even wanted a CB radio of rugged construction and none were to be found.

Do you have a picture that you could post of the Motorola CB with the base conversion setup? It has been so long that I've forgotten what the setup looks like. I just Googled the terms to see if I could find a picture and found none...

Cheers! Dave

n1nte

These were marketed toward your everyday Joe or Billie Bob.

Yes they were. I intended to say that they seemed to be heavily marketed to public safety in addition to the general public. Of the dozen or so that have come though my hands almost half were decommissioned from at least four state police agencies. I know of several local PDs that had them in their vehicles listening on channel 9. Sometimes they used it as a chit chat channel.

Again, nice radios. PM me if anyone has one available for sale at a reasonable price.

impalass427

25gukya.jpg

15ojn2g.jpg

Here's a pic of the base conversion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.