TRX-1: Scanner idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Hey whistler Wendy, sure would be nice if whistler would make a handheld scanner with all of the features of the Trx-1, but the form factor of the gre psr-500. Have the squelch and volume knob on top along with the speaker and screen and the buttons at the bottom.

Love the audio quality of the psr-500!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkf435

Put an encoder on top spin it to resume scanning, tap once for volume tap twice to set squelch. Rarely set squelch but always want to resume scan and change volume. Yaesu took volume off top of radio and it was a stupid move.

David

DJ11DLN

Put an encoder on top spin it to resume scanning, tap once for volume tap twice to set squelch. Rarely set squelch but always want to resume scan and change volume. Yaesu took volume off top of radio and it was a stupid move.

David
Yes, an encoder with the functions of the WS-1095/1098/TRX-2 instead of the hardware squelch would be great. I mainly use these handhelds as mobiles so I don't bother the volume or squelch much (use the aux-in to the stereo, level/mute gets addressed there) but changing backlight level for day or night driving is a bit of a pain having to delve into the menu. It would be great to tap the power button, set the level where I want it quickly, and then have the function of the knob revert back on its own the way the B/M radios do.

I really hope this is going to be a feature of the TRX-100.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
BlueMoon2 - Whistler has two NEW scanners coming in Q1 2019, the TRX-100 handheld and the TRX-200 Base/Mobile scanner, both scanners have a SDR chipset that is supposed to deal with P25 II Simulcast better than older Digital Phase II scanners. it will also have Bluetooth Audio A2DP for headphones. Your suggestion is a good one, you should Email Whistler with your suggestion. contact Whister - contact us page.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Hey Blue Moon -
Sorry for the delay. We've been out and about with some trade shows and such and I missed this comment.
I've submitted this to the engineers. Also, be sure to use the scannersuggestions@whistlergroup.com email if you have any other ideas!

Happy Scanning!
WW

Hey whistler Wendy, sure would be nice if whistler would make a handheld scanner with all of the features of the Trx-1, but the form factor of the gre psr-500. Have the squelch and volume knob on top along with the speaker and screen and the buttons at the bottom.

Love the audio quality of the psr-500!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
yup I luv my RS106, its 100% receive on the ILL-Digital Starcom System with great clear audio and no stupid "card" to corrupt....The VFolders are fantastic for different setups and its easy programming by hand….The only problem is the noisy volume pot.....

DJ11DLN

yup I luv my RS106, its 100% receive on the ILL-Digital Starcom System with great clear audio and no stupid "card" to corrupt....The VFolders are fantastic for different setups and its easy programming by hand….The only problem is the noisy volume pot.....

Didn't GRE have plans for an updated p.2/maybe other modes version of the 500/600-106/197 at one time? Plans that never came to fruition because they left the scanner business. I love my 197 and am pretty fond of my 651 as well, the card scanners just don't match their audio and p.1 decode quality. I'd be very happy to see what I think I recall (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) was to be the "PSR-1000" become a reality.

Kind of like the way Uniden updated their X96 series to give them new life.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I love the "500" series of scanners, especially the large display. If they ever do reboot that platform, I hope they use a better audio pot among other things.

djeplett

It's weird because I own a 106 and a 500 and the pot on the 106 is super scratchy, but on the 500 it's as quiet as any radio I've ever owned. I always chalked up the scratchy 106's pot to the fact it began it's life at my in-laws who smoked. But I keep seeing others complain about their scratchy pots so my 500 must be anomaly.

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I think it's ironic that people are asking for the pot on top to be added to the new Whistler scanner in previous requests after all the complaints about the noise in the older versions. My 106 is really scratchy and my 500 not too bad.

Can't wait for the new one to come out as my TRX-1 works great for me now.

DJ11DLN

I think it's ironic that people are asking for the pot on top to be added to the new Whistler scanner in previous requests after all the complaints about the noise in the older versions. My 106 is really scratchy and my 500 not too bad.

Can't wait for the new one to come out as my TRX-1 works great for me now.

I'd hope they would go to a rotary encoder like the 1095/1098/TRX-2 uses, no scratch possibility there. As far as the pots go, mine are both a bit scratchy but it's nothing I can't live with. The 197 was that way right out of the box, couldn't say about the 651 as I got it second-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.