New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB4D

I've retired, moved to a new area, and am looking for a new digital scanner to monitor my local public safety radio traffic. I was into scanning in the 90's (still have my old Pro-2006 analog), but haven't done that in decades. I am considering the SDS100, but that may be overkill for what I want to do, and perhaps one of the other Uniden models, such as the BCD-536HP will receive all of the radio systems in the area.

I also need to determine if encryption is an issue here (Brunswick County, NC, Horry County, SC). I don't want to buy an expensive receiver, if encryption is going to make it unusable. Where can I find that info?

Thanks

scannersnstuff

Database is your friend. First determine if your area is digital. Depending on your situation, I would go digital anyway, for future proofing.

GrumpyGuard

Parts of Brunswick County are on the viper radio system which is P25 Phase 1. Horry County runs P25 and Horry Count Public Services runs P25 Phase 2. I agree with pdfdems286 that you should go with a radio that picks up the digital modes.

NYRHKY94

AB4D:

As noted above, the database here will give you a quick snapshot of the major systems in use for both Brunswick (VIPER P25) and Horry (P25). Currently, there is little to no ENC in either County, so monitoring here is excellent. I use the following Uniden radios for Brunswick without issue: 996XT, 436HP, 536HP, 325P2, 996P2.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Click on Databases at the top of this page, and select your state and county to get information.

Horry County is a simulcast system. The SDS100 is the only scanner capable of dealing with any simulcast multipath distortion issues.

AB4D

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. The simulcast issue seems to be the sticking point. I am located right on the NC/SC border on the coast, so it seems the SDS100 is going to be my best bet.

I searched for a Cyber Monday deal on that unit, but that seems futile.

Jim

safetyobc

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. The simulcast issue seems to be the sticking point. I am located right on the NC/SC border on the coast, so it seems the SDS100 is going to be my best bet.

I searched for a Cyber Monday deal on that unit, but that seems futile.

Jim

Since the SDS100 was released recently, you likely won't find any significant deals on it.

It is however a great radio. I love mine!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 scanners are pretty much selling themselves right now. From a merchant's point of view, putting it on sale would decrease the profits. We lovingly call that capitalism.

In addition, there may be some contractual obligations that prevent lowering the price. I think we may lovingly call that a price-fixing loophole.

NYRHKY94

There is an SDS in the classifieds here for $500 if you want to consider going that route. Just an FYI for Brunswick: No Simulcast issues in my 4 years here. Good luck with the purchase

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Jim, I have a new PRO668 handheld digital scanner for sale. This is the Radio Shack version made by Whistler. Its a lot cheaper than the SDS100. If interested please send me a private message or let me know how to contact you. 73

AB4D

I received my new BCD-536 today. I have a friend visiting the area, and he just happened to receive a new SDS-100. I am surprised in the performance difference between the two, as the SDS-100 seems to have a much better receiver. We were doing a bit of side by side comparison. I was using the stock telescopic antenna and he had a Remtronix REM-820S antenna on the SDS-100. The SDS-100 could receive signals the BCD-536 could not.

I live on the coast just a few miles from the NC/SC border. When trying to monitor the Horry County, SC Fire and Rescue. He was pulling in transmissions I could not even hear, with twice the signal strength. I can see the signal strength on the 536. reading about two bars, but hear nothing in the way of audio on that particular system.

The SDS-100 was receiving the same signal at four bars, and the transmission was loud and clear. Unsure if I have a defective unit or there is something I need to change in the menu.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
As W8RMH mentioned in post #5, Horry County is a P25 Simulcast system. The BCD536HP was not designed to properly receive P25 Simulcast systems. The SDS100 is. If you are in range of two or more Simulcast towers, you may get no reception, good reception or something in between on the BCD536HP . You might try moving the BCD536HP (along with and its antenna) around to different locations in your house. It may help temporarily. For more information see:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_Distortion

AB4D

I was aware of the simulcast system issue. Today, it's picking up some signals on that system, yesterday it was not. When I grab the whip, the signal increases enough where I can receive signals in the clear. Clearly, the supplied whip is marginal, and I need to build or buy a better antenna.

Perhaps someone can suggest a known better antenna that I can use in place of the supplied telescopic whip.

jim202

There have been a good number of posts just about the SDS100 radio. There seems to be concern for the larger battery and the back cover it uses. The concern right now is the battery case retainer clip breaking.

Then there has been several comments on the unit getting too hot while charging the battery. Think there has also been some posts on the receiver not working correctly.

So my suggestion would be to slow down just a bit and read the postings on here about the radio your looking to pick up. Those radios will still be around even if you drag your feet. But you may feel much more at ease once you get the background on the radio of your choice.

gillham

Feed Provider
I was aware of the simulcast system issue. Today, it's picking up some signals on that system, yesterday it was not. When I grab the whip, the signal increases enough where I can receive signals in the clear. Clearly, the supplied whip is marginal, and I need to build or buy a better antenna.

Perhaps someone can suggest a known better antenna that I can use in place of the supplied telescopic whip.

Try messing with the length of how far you extend the antenna. You might get better (or worse) performance with varying the length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CQ

There have been a good number of posts just about the SDS100 radio. There seems to be concern for the larger battery and the back cover it uses. The concern right now is the battery case retainer clip breaking.

Then there has been several comments on the unit getting too hot while charging the battery. Think there has also been some posts on the receiver not working correctly.

So my suggestion would be to slow down just a bit and read the postings on here about the radio your looking to pick up. Those radios will still be around even if you drag your feet. But you may feel much more at ease once you get the background on the radio of your choice.

Out of the couple I've used, none have any of what you mention.

Nothing to see here, make your purchase folks.

AB4D

I noticed today, the BNC connector on the back of my new BCD536HP is a bit loose on the chassis. I've inquired with the retailer about that issue. Otherwise, I like the BCD536HP quite a bit. Adjusting the length of the antenna did not seem to help too much, so may try an aftermarket antenna, such as the Diamond RH789.

Searching around for additional info about the SDS100. I too read a couple of complaints about the battery retainer breaking, and also a few about problems in relation to the top knob. However, I did not read what I would consider an over of abundant of issues.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.