Best scanner for UK newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivateerUK

Hi,

I'm looking for a Christmas present for my wife who likes watching planes at airports. I'm thinking that it'd be nice to listen to the local radio activity around the airport as we watch the planes.

If we had a scanner, it might be used for scanning:
  • Civil and possibly military airfields in the UK
  • Summer country fairs and shows (listening to the radios of the organisers)
  • General local area for taxis etc.
  • As I'm new to scanning we might want to scan other stuff so a large range of frequencies as possible would be useful.

What should I be looking for in a scanner, in addition to the following:
  • I'd like to be able to pre-program the scanner - although we only have Macs and not PCs
  • In new areas just get the unit to search for all local radio and record the frequency with the option of manually naming the frequency via the unit. Is this "Close Call"?
  • In known areas be able to set a priority to listen to one frequency over another.

Doing a quick search, the Uniden UBC-125XLT Handheld Scanner seems a good scanner. Is this the case or would you recommend another one?

Is there any idiot's guide to scanning (URL or book) that you would recommend?

Many thanks,

questnz

Hi you may want to check scanning forum closer to you in UK. Plenty good advice here all depends where you are located. Dont forget Uniden UBC-125XLT is an analog only scanner, very good for Air scanning.
My understanding is that there is more and more services in UK shifted to DMR, you may have to check other options with your UK collegues. Good luck

PrivateerUK

Hi SteveSimpkin and questnz,

Many thanks for your replies and especially for the URL for the UK Radio Scanning Forum, which I'll try.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.