SDS100/SDS200: What’s everyone setting their sds100 battery warning level to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Just curious what a good setting for the battery warning level is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I’m at 3200 is this bad for the battery?

AvidHiker

It's not "bad", it's perfectly fine. You can extend the life of Li-ion batteries to some extent by limiting both the charge and discharge (e.g., never discharge past 3.4V and never charge past 4.0V), but, IMO, it doesn't buy you much. Not worth worrying about.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I’m at 3200 is this bad for the battery?

There was another thread about the setting where Paul stated the setting has nothing to do with when the scanner will power off, but rather when it will start alerting for low battery. No setting will harm the battery as the radio will power off before that happens.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
There was another thread about the setting where Paul stated the setting has nothing to do with when the scanner will power off, but rather when it will start alerting for low battery. No setting will harm the battery as the radio will power off before that happens.

Thanks for this info. That’s helpful

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
has Uniden shipped all the BIG replacement batteries to registered owners?

They have been shipping for the last 2-3 weeks. Some people have not received their battery yet because they did not enter their scanner's ESN/Checksum or did not confirm their shipping address. See:
https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post3029404

See this post and the four posts following it to find out how to display the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) and 3-digit checksum numbers on the scanner.
https://forums.radioreference.com/un...ml#post3029610

racin06

It's not "bad", it's perfectly fine. You can extend the life of Li-ion batteries to some extent by limiting both the charge and discharge (e.g., never discharge past 3.4V and never charge past 4.0V), but, IMO, it doesn't buy you much. Not worth worrying about.

I'm not sure where you are obtaining your information, but you are incorrect. The SDS100 batteries are LiPO (lithium polymer), not Li-ion (lithium ion). LiPO batteries have a maximum charge voltage of 4.2v per cell and a minimum discharge voltage of 3.0v. I have used LiPO batteries for years in my electric RC airplanes and we in the RC flying hobby typically go by 3.2v per cell minimum voltage.

AvidHiker

I'm not sure where you are obtaining your information, but you are incorrect. The SDS100 batteries are LiPO (lithium polymer), not Li-ion (lithium ion). LiPO batteries have a maximum charge voltage of 4.2v per cell and a minimum discharge voltage of 3.0v. I have used LiPO batteries for years in my electric RC airplanes and we in the RC flying hobby typically go by 3.2v per cell minimum voltage.

I'm not sure you've read my post carefully, I said nothing of maximums/minimums (exact minimum safe voltage will also depend on specific cathode composition, but 3.0V is typical), I simply detailed a common method of lengthening cell life which is applicable to either format. I suggest you do some research, sir.

Example: https://www.heliguy.com/blog/2014/11/05/maximise-life-lipo-batteries/

Also, I believe the batteries used in RC hobbies are commonly multi-cell designs (in series), in which case you will want to be more conservative with the discharge as all cells will not necessarily end up at exactly the same voltage. Not to mention the fact that the discharge rate is typically very high. The SDS100 is not a series-type LiPO cell, and it has a relatively mild discharge rate. It can be safely drawn down to 3.1V (as stated by UPman, IIRC).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.