• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Analog and Trunked Scan List

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Can the G5 be set up to scan analog and trunked channels/frequencies simultaneously/same function knob?

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
So, if I'm listening to the trunked channels, the pager won't alert for an analog channel alert tone, correct?

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
This is the fatal flaw of the G5. I keep hoping they change the firmware so it can monitor Conventional and Trunked at the same time, not one or the other. I need to monitor two dispatches at the same time, as well as a mutual aid dispatch that borders both of them. One is trunked, the other two are VHF conventional ... so I carry a VHF pager for those two, and a low band pager for the trunked simulcast, when I really wish I could carry just one pager and make life easier.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
This is the fatal flaw of the G5. I keep hoping they change the firmware so it can monitor Conventional and Trunked at the same time, not one or the other. I need to monitor two dispatches at the same time, as well as a mutual aid dispatch that borders both of them. One is trunked, the other two are VHF conventional ... so I carry a VHF pager for those two, and a low band pager for the trunked simulcast, when I really wish I could carry just one pager and make life easier.
Hardly fatal, nor a flaw. (Like how a Ford Fusion, nor a Chevy Cruze, will keep pace with NASCAR vehicles.)

The time lost, as the pager re-syncs with the control channel increases the likelihood of missing pages on both sides.

Sent using Tapatalk

ecarvalho

Don’t treat the G4/5 as a scanner friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider

Far from a fatal flaw, or any flaw as its designed to monitor 1 system at a time with 1 or many talk groups. OR 1 or many conventional channels.
Just because it does NOT fit your needs does not mean its improperly designed.
The majority of users who use these in a professional capacity are not monitoring multiple systems and conventional channels. They park it on one channel and wait for dispatch to alert them. As the product was designed for. Then there is the option to scan with priority so they can get traffic on other channels and if dispatch calls them priority works.

If you need to monitor 2 dispatches at the same time you need 2 radios. Plus mutual aid plus the dog catcher plus who ever else you feel you need to monitor get dedicated radios but dont say a device that does not fit your "needs" has a fatal flaw. take a step back and realize the world does not revolve around you.

TDR-94

A fatal flaw would be to make it function like a scanner. Then the performance would be as equally bad.

rwier

" ... If you need to monitor 2 dispatches at the same time you need 2 radios ..."

Even if you change "need" to "want", this is also true for "conventional" scanners. Really depends on how many (of certain transmissions) you are willing to miss.

goodmore

Far from a fatal flaw, or any flaw as its designed to monitor 1 system at a time with 1 or many talk groups. OR 1 or many conventional channels.
Just because it does NOT fit your needs does not mean its improperly designed.
The majority of users who use these in a professional capacity are not monitoring multiple systems and conventional channels. They park it on one channel and wait for dispatch to alert them. As the product was designed for. Then there is the option to scan with priority so they can get traffic on other channels and if dispatch calls them priority works.

If you need to monitor 2 dispatches at the same time you need 2 radios. Plus mutual aid plus the dog catcher plus who ever else you feel you need to monitor get dedicated radios but dont say a device that does not fit your "needs" has a fatal flaw. take a step back and realize the world does not revolve around you.

So the scanners that promote the ability to scan thousands of frequencies in so many seconds are what? Doing the wrong thing? The manufacturer of these scanners should have been concentrating on the quality of the signal all along?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
So the scanners that promote the ability to scan thousands of frequencies in so many seconds are what? Doing the wrong thing? The manufacturer of these scanners should have been concentrating on the quality of the signal all along?
They are scanners, not a piece of professional use, for public safety users.

Sent using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider

As another user pointed out, you are talking about scanners.
The OP is a fire dept member and is wanting to monitor several channels at once. This can only be done "reliably" with a radio dedicated to each channel.

I was merely pointing out that what he wants to do is monitor multiple things with 1 device and when he cant do that he called it a fatal flaw. When in reality its not a fatal flaw at all.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

More of a dealbreaker for your use case, but not a fatal flaw of the G5 design.

That said, I would have liked to see support of Moto SmartZone technology because these systems will be around for several more years across the country.

sefrischling

Hardly fatal, nor a flaw. (Like how a Ford Fusion, nor a Chevy Cruze, will keep pace with NASCAR vehicles.)

The time lost, as the pager re-syncs with the control channel increases the likelihood of missing pages on both sides.

Yet it works perfectly fine, across multiple trunked systems, and conventional channels with the older XTS2500 radios and newer APX radios. The Harris XL radios can monitor conventional and trunked seamlessly as well.

A pager capable of monitoring Trunked 800 + VHF or UHF convention, but unable to monitor them at the same time is an ineffective tool. The "synch" is nearly instant.

sefrischling

The majority of users who use these in a professional capacity are not monitoring multiple systems and conventional channels. They park it on one channel and wait for dispatch to alert them.
...yadda yadda yadda ...
If you need to monitor 2 dispatches at the same time you need 2 radios. .

So explain the ability of the Minitor III, IV, V, VI being able to easily monitor two dispatch channels at once. Many use this function to monitor two departments.

As for the G5 it can monitor 128 channels. It can monitor 800 & VHF/UHF, but can only monitor one band at a time ... so your argument is quite moot

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

Even the scanner will miss transmissions on one channel while stopped on another. If you need (not want) to monitor two channels like the OP says he does, you need two dedicated radios. No scan function will ever be able to 100% monitor all traffic on two channels simultaneously. Do not mistake the wants of the casual scanner listener with the needs of professionals using radio equipment. If you belong to two agencies that use their dispatch channels to alert members, a scanner is not the tool for you. In the OP's case, a pager utilizing a scan function probably isn't easier.

The scanner is not a first line mission critical device for public safety, second line, yes as it may have capabilities the department radio does not, but simultaneous monitoring is not one of them.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
So explain the ability of the Minitor III, IV, V, VI being able to easily monitor two dispatch channels at once. Many use this function to monitor two departments.

As for the G5 it can monitor 128 channels. It can monitor 800 & VHF/UHF, but can only monitor one band at a time ... so your argument is quite moot

They don't, they use a scan function with priority. Without two receive boards, it is impossible and even with two receive boards, the result would be unintelligible with the audio from both channels coming from the same speaker. The priority channel, if receiving will always make the second channel unmonitorable while the priority channel is active. If you need to monitor two dispatch channels, you need two radios.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
They don't, they use a scan function with priority. Without two receive boards, it is impossible and even with two receive boards, the result would be unintelligible with the audio from both channels coming from the same speaker. The priority channel, if receiving will always make the second channel unmonitorable while the priority channel is active. If you need to monitor two dispatch channels, you need two radios.

Exactly. Regardless of whether you want 2 channels scanned or 1000 channels or trunked or conventional or analog or digital, the bottom line is it the radio stops on one, you will not hear the other while the audio is coming through the speaker. Doesn’t matter if it’s a $7,000 APX8000 or a $600 G5. Get two receivers and call it a day.

Some options...we set up a system at my old EMS agency HQ that opens up a receiver/transmitter when the first set of tones drops on the County frequency if the call comes in via 911...this then transmits into our EMS repeater which we use for paging and Ops, which then trips our pagers with a second set of tones. We call out to the local PD on this repeater and they page us if it comes in 7 digit or from LEO request on scene of an accident, etc.

I could easily set up the same thing going analog to trunked and vice versa. Cost for one instead of multiple units.

Or have your agency multicast over conventional and trunked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.