DSD+ FL CC signal source

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I think I've discovered the root of a couple problems I'm having and would like for the more knowledgeable to confirm it.

In trying to figure out a Cap+ system I am using a RSPduo with SDRuno software as the CC signal source. For the VC following I use a RTL-SDR dongle which feeds FMP24.

In this setup DSD+ does not retrieve the network/site/frequencies from the appropriate files.

As a test I changed to the RTL-SDR dongle as the CC signal source and the network/site/frequencies was retrieved and displayed on the CC Event window.

So, in order for the Cap+ info to be retrieved I MUST use an RTL-SDR dongle as the CC signal source. Is that correct?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
....so then, in order to follow a Cap+ system will I need a second RTL-SDR dongle for the CC signal?

Or is there a way to have a TCP link from SDRuno to DSD+ ?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The text doc "trunking.txt" explains it. Your source "RSPduo" does not seem to be listed as being able to be used as a source. I dont have one but maybe someone with one might have a work around? I am just going by the trunking.txt file...

Code:
the CC source receiver can be a RTL SDR dongle, an Airspy or a discriminator-tapped radio

if using a RTL SDR dongle, run the FMP-CC batch file, tune to an active CC,
  then adjust RF bandwidth filtering, RF gain, etc. as required

pressing '?' will list all active keys in FMP's console window

if using an Airspy, run the FMPA-CC batch file, tune to an active CC,
  then adjust RF bandwidth filtering, RF gain levels, etc. as required

run the CC batch file to start the CC-decoding copy of DSD+

if you have your CC audio routed correctly, DSD+ should start decoding and scrolling

the VC source receiver *must* be a RTL SDR dongle or an Airspy

run the FMP-VC or FMPA-VC batch file; FMP/FMPA should automatically enter trunk-following mode

RF gain can be adjusted as required at any time

you should see FMP/FMPA tuning to voice channels as comms show up on the CC

run the VC batch file to start the VC-decoding copy of DSD+

if you have your VC audio routed correctly, DSD+ should decode voice
    traffic as comms show up on the CC

Can you post a screenshot of dsd when it opens up, and lists your inputs and outputs? Can you post your batch files?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
The text doc "trunking.txt" explains it. Your source "RSPduo" does not seem to be listed as being able to be used as a source. I dont have one but maybe someone with one might have a work around? I am just going by the trunking.txt file...

Code:
the CC source receiver can be a RTL SDR dongle, an Airspy or a discriminator-tapped radio

if you have your CC audio routed correctly, DSD+ should start decoding and scrolling

run the FMP-VC or FMPA-VC batch file; FMP/FMPA should automatically enter trunk-following mode

Can you post a screenshot of dsd when it opens up, and lists your inputs and outputs? Can you post your batch files?

I presumed my SDRplay RSPduo is performing like a tapped discriminator scanner. I can follow a P25 system just fine. I can hear a Cap+ fine also. It just wont show the network/site/freq info on a Cap+ system.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber

Code:

RSPduo to SDRuno software outputs audio to VB Cable (output 1)

CC.bat:

DSDPlus -rc -i1 -v4 -E -_1

FMP24-VC.bat:

FMP24 -rv -i1 -o20002 -P0.0

VC.bat:

DSDPlus -rv -i20002 -o1 -v3 -O NUL -E

slicerwizard

In Notes.txt:

Cap+ monitoring

e) tune CC FMPA/FMP24 to an active system channel (note: TCP link required)

CC DSD+ will scan the DSDPlus.frequencies file for a Cap+ record with the same frequency;
The first matching record will be used

CC DSD+ will use the frequency record to establish the system's network ID

CC DSD+ will use the NID to display the network and current site names

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The RSPduo is outputting to vb cable instead of tcp port 20001 like Slicerwizard said.
The cc bat should be set to accept the tcp connection.

DSDPlus -rc -i20001 Instead of i1

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
In Notes.txt:

Cap+ monitoring

e) tune CC FMPA/FMP24 to an active system channel (note: TCP link required)

CC DSD+ will scan the DSDPlus.frequencies file for a Cap+ record with the same frequency;
The first matching record will be used

CC DSD+ will use the frequency record to establish the system's network ID

CC DSD+ will use the NID to display the network and current site names

Um, okay. I saw that. I incorrectly thought that I could use my existing setup and only needed the required TCP link if I were to use FMP24 for the CC signal. Obviously not the case.

Time to buy a second RTL-SDR dongle unless there is some way for there to be a TCP link from RSPduo bypassing FMP24. That's probably something that would require a mod to the DSD+ FL.

Thanks for helping me out. Again.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
unless there is some way for there to be a TCP link from RSPduo bypassing FMP24. That's probably something that would require a mod to the DSD+ FL.

If DSDPlus added support for that dongle you would be good to go. If not, nooelec or rtl-sdr dongles work good. You will need to tweak your batch files if you get another rtl to do the tcp link..

D

DaveNF2G

FMP24 cannot tune any RSP. It is made for the RTL dongles.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Because it has to follow the rest channel. How is DSD+ going to retune a scanner?

Ah yes. Now I see. I failed to realize (should have) that the rest channel changes unlike a control channel.

I've ordered a second RTL-SDR dongle.

D

DaveNF2G

The one place in the chain where you must use FMP24 is getting the CC copy of DSDPlus to tune the dongle that is feeding the VC copy of DSDPlus. The CC copy can get audio from a dongle controlled by FMP24 (which makes the TCP linking possible) or via virtual cable from any other type of SDR.

With the software->virtual cable->DSD+->FMP24->DSD+ configuration, your batch files must use the input and output device parameters.

With the FMP24->DSD+->FMP24->DSD+ configuration, you can and should use TCP port linking.

By the way, both setups can track any form of trunking with the exception of P25 Phase II.

slicerwizard

How is a virtual cable link going to pass frequency information? How is DSD+ going to handle Cap+ or TIII system disambiguation without frequency data?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
The one place in the chain where you must use FMP24 is getting the CC copy of DSDPlus to tune the dongle that is feeding the VC copy of DSDPlus. The CC copy can get audio from a dongle controlled by FMP24 (which makes the TCP linking possible) or via virtual cable from any other type of SDR.

With the software->virtual cable->DSD+->FMP24->DSD+ configuration, your batch files must use the input and output device parameters.

With the FMP24->DSD+->FMP24->DSD+ configuration, you can and should use TCP port linking.

By the way, both setups can track any form of trunking with the exception of P25 Phase II.

Getting audio is one thing. Following a Cap+ rest channel is another. I am using your Software example and it does not follow a rest channel, and my reclaimed knowledge tells me that it will not follow a rest channel. The software setup will only follow a stationary control channel.

The latest version of DSD+ FL follows P25 Phase II.

D

DaveNF2G

Like you, I also missed the mention of rest channel following in the thread. In the case of non-CC trunking, it is not possible to trunktrack using regular SDR software and a virtual audio path. At the present state of the hobby, a pair of RTL dongles with FMP24 + DSDPlus is the only reliable solution.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The Airspy line will also work but uses FMPA rather than FMP24. The bandwidth setting is more important and you need to edit the FMPA.cfg file to add the serial numbers. However, they are a bit better SDR.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.