Unitrunker on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRL-XM43

Does anyone know if it is possible to run Unitrunker on Linux mint using sdr dongles?

If so are there any information resources known to assist with this?

Much appreciated
D

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, i believe it is not possible, Rick has been asked but i think he still has no plans for a Linux platform.

boatbod

Its feasible to run Windows in a virtual environment under Linux (I've been doing it for years). You could most likely run Unitrunker that way.

nd5y

Untrunker itself runs fine on WINE v 2.1 or later on Ubuntu based Linux distros so it should work on Linux Mint. I don't know about SDR dongles.

Last edited:

DRL-XM43

Its feasible to run Windows in a virtual environment under Linux (I've been doing it for years). You could most likely run Unitrunker that way.

I have gotten as far as running V1 under wine, I can feed it audio to a discriminater set up using GQRX it even pops up the site and looks like it is trunk following - the problem of course is it has no "voice" to send to and if I set up a sdr voice radio there are no dongles seen in wine.

Oh well back to the windows side I guess unless there is a linux trunk tracking moto solution for Linux.

I have managed to cover off on most of the rest of it with OP25, DSD with GQRX and GQRX-scan and SDR-FM, SDRtrunk dump1090, virtual radar.

I as hoping for a 100% migration but I guess not at this stage.

It would be tough to have the scope provided by DSD+ FS / Unitrunker

Not bad for a old geezer with zero linux experience -:)

Last edited:

boatbod

I have gotten as far as running V1 under wine, I can feed it audio to a discriminater set up using GQRX it even pops up the site and looks like it is trunk following - the problem of course is it has no "voice" to send to and if I set up a sdr voice radio there are no dongles seen in wine.

Oh well back to the windows side I guess unless there is a linux trunk tracking moto solution for Linux.

I have managed to cover off on most of the rest of it with OP25, DSD with GQRX and GQRX-scan and SDR-FM, SDRtrunk dump1090, virtual radar.

I as hoping for a 100% migration but I guess not at this stage.

It would be tough to have the scope provided by DSD+ FS / Unitrunker

Not bad for a old geezer with zero linux experience -:)

If you're looking for something that can work with Motorola Smartzone under Linux then
try trunkrecorder. https://github.com/robotastic/trunk-recorder

DRL-XM43

If you're looking for something that can work with Motorola Smartzone under Linux then
try trunkrecorder. https://github.com/robotastic/trunk-recorder

Well I am hopeful again... :)

So from github I followed the bouncing ball through the install. All appeared to go as supposed to ending in 100% build completed

However when I tried the run command I get this error
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mint@mint:~/trunk-build$ ./recorder
linux; GNU C++ version 7.3.0; Boost_106501; UHD_003.010.003.000-0-unknown

[2018-12-04 19:53:54.792192] (info) Using Config file: ./config.json

[2018-12-04 19:53:54.792932] (error) Failed parsing Config: ./config.json(1): garbage after data
[2018-12-04 19:53:54.793078] (error) Unable to setup a System to record, exiting...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did notice that there was not a config.json file in the build directory, I believe there is supposed to be one created during the make.

Now, as usual I am stumped again :)

boatbod

So from github I followed the bouncing ball through the install. All appeared to go as supposed to ending in 100% build completed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[2018-12-04 19:53:54.792932] (error) Failed parsing Config: ./config.json(1): garbage after data
[2018-12-04 19:53:54.793078] (error) Unable to setup a System to record, exiting...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did notice that there was not a config.json file in the build directory, I believe there is supposed to be one created during the make.

Sorry, I've never installed or used it myself, but I believe the author has been known to post here occasionally.

DRL-XM43

Ok so I played around and found some example config.json files so I copied them to the working directory and modified it with my info (2 dongles) and a control frequency for Motorola Type II SmartZone

It now starts and scrolls a bunch of stuff which may be ok... or not :) It seems to have found my dongles and is using them for something???

Anyway, I am confused by the general concept - exactly what is it supposed to do...

If anyone has it running perhaps they could help me understand. My goal is to listen...

Does it do audio or what?

Anyway thanks for any assistance, regards D.

boatbod

Ok so I played around and found some example config.json files so I copied them to the working directory and modified it with my info (2 dongles) and a control frequency for Motorola Type II SmartZone

It now starts and scrolls a bunch of stuff which may be ok... or not :) It seems to have found my dongles and is using them for something???

Anyway, I am confused by the general concept - exactly what is it supposed to do...

If anyone has it running perhaps they could help me understand. My goal is to listen...

Does it do audio or what?

Anyway thanks for any assistance, regards D.

Basic concept is that it captures and decodes multiple tgids simultaneously, saves the audio to files and then streams it from the files.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I run it on a Intel Nuc. It won't just produce audio thru your speakers. It will store the audio files (on tg's you define) locally on your hard drive and upload to openmhz.com, (you set up free account there) if that's how you set it up.

See options for playback and sharing at trunk recorders wiki here. https://github.com/robotastic/trunk-recorder/wiki

First thing you should do is go in the folder defined in config.json file to see where it would be saving audio files. The config.json should be in trunk-build folder. Look for captureDir in the config.json and check the path it lists to see if it is recording and saving to that directory, to know if it working correctly. You said you see it scrolling. Did you see error at all while it scrolling? If no errors and you see save audio files, and they play locally, then you have to choose how to listen from the playback and sharing options in the wiki. If they do not play locally, and have file size of 44b or 44kb (don't remember which one) then It's not decoding properly and you would need to troubleshoot that.

I wanted to use my own server for a new system and ended up using lighttp server and doing something with the audio player file in trunk-build folder . Now I am all over the place

I am still a linux noob and took on learning ubuntu and the sdr programs all at the same time. With the help of the many (wonderful and amazing) people on the web that helped me along, I finally got up and running.

Last edited:

DRL-XM43

. If they do not play locally, and have file size of 44b or 44kb (don't remember which one) then It's not decoding properly and you would need to troubleshoot that.

I am still a linux noob and took on learning ubuntu and the sdr programs all at the same time. With the help of the many (wonderful and amazing) people on the web that helped me along, I finally got up and running.

This is where I am at dave (after bleeding fingertips) --- MMMMmmmany 44kb wav files

It has gotten personal now lol so I need to slog on somehow... I will try to find out what to do next.

I installed trunk-player but when I tried to login to it I am locked out -- it just keeps getting better LOL

DRL-XM43

This is where I am at dave (after bleeding fingertips) --- MMMMmmmany 44kb wav files

It has gotten personal now lol so I need to slog on somehow... I will try to find out what to do next.

I installed trunk-player but when I tried to login to it I am locked out -- it just keeps getting better LOL

I am not even sure if Trunk-Recorder even decodes Motorola Type II SmartZone. It is not clear to me when I read the materials. A sample config file addressing a Motorola Type II SmartZone would be amazingly helpful (using two dongles) I have messed with the sample ones but no joy when I run it.

In Windows it is a snap either with Unitrunker or Trunk88

The system I am interested in https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=956 there are only 6 voice channels (1 control) the voice channels are used for both analog and digital transmissions, using the above this is taken care of through sending digital to vb cable through to DSD+ and clear FM to the speakers.

On Linux I can scan the individual frequencies with GQRX/GQRX scanner but in practical terms for only the digital through DSD, Trying to listen to the clear FM with the digital noise bursts is not ear tolerable :)

So I am close but no cigar on Linux. .

Ok it does seem to be doing something with the type II the scrolling looks like some sort of trunk tracking is going on.... the fly in the ointment is this error "Not Recording: no source covering Freq"

[2018-12-05 22:55:02.707976] (info) Patching Command: 340 Freq: 0.000000e+00 Talkgroup: 4640

[2018-12-05 22:55:02.708324] (info) [EMS] TG: 35805 Freq: 8.515125e+08 Not Recording: no source covering Freq
[2018-12-05 22:55:03.034470] (error) Call: more than 50 Freq
[2018-12-05 22:55:03.156938] (info) Patching Command: 340 Freq: 0.000000e+00 Talkgroup: 4640

..... which I have no idea how to address. Although because I used smartnet as thesystem type I think it automatically assignes 800 bandplan which is probably an issue if it is looking at frequencies up there.

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I listen to a smartzone with p25 but mine was rebanded and is 800mhz. And there is a line for rebanded in my config.json. Your system has Custom Frequency Tables and would not need that line. I have only set up my system so I am not sure if something special has to be done with custom freq tables or not.
I use 1 airspy mini as it covers my whole system. This is my config.json I use with the smartnet.

Code:
{
    "sources": [
    {  
        "center": 852443750,
        "rate": 3000000,
        "ppm": 0.2,
        "error": 0,
        "gain": 25.4,
	"mixGain": 10, 
	"lnaGain": 10,
        "squelch": -45,
        "debugRecorders": 0,
        "digitalRecorders": 2,
	"analogRecorders": 12, 
	"digitalLevels" : 9,
        "analogLevels" : 16,
        "modulation" : "fsk4",
        "driver": "osmosdr",
        "device": "airspy"
    }],
    "systems": [{
        "control_channels": [ 852287500, 851362500, 851412500, 851687500 ],
	"type": "smartnet",
	"talkgroupsFile": "tg_720.csv",
	"bandplan": "800_reband",
	"shortName": "suff",
	"callLog": true,
	"talkgroupDisplayFormat": "tag_id",
	"frequencyFormat": "mhz",
	"recordUnknown": true,
	"hideUnknown": false
	}],
	"captureDir": "/var/www/html"
}

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
142.2675 ( 142267500 ) should be your center. Not sure what dongle you're using but if the system freqs span more than the dongle can cover, you will fall short.

My rate is 30000 because the airspy mini can do 3 or 6 mhz and my system just makes 3 mhz
"modulation" : "fsk4", I don't remember what system I was doing at the time but I had to toggle between fsk4 and qpsk to get it to work.

Also gains. Run gqrx and see how strong you get the control channel and use those gain settings for trunk recorder. Some dongles use gain, lna and mixer and some just use gain. I have been looking for my notes. I set this up this past spring and then fluke season started and with my little guy wanting to fish all summer, I kinda put all sdr on hold.

DRL-XM43

142.2675 ( 142267500 ) should be your center. Not sure what dongle you're using but if the system freqs span more than the dongle can cover, you will fall short.

My rate is 30000 because the airspy mini can do 3 or 6 mhz and my system just makes 3 mhz
"modulation" : "fsk4", I don't remember what system I was doing at the time but I had to toggle between fsk4 and qpsk to get it to work.

Also gains. Run gqrx and see how strong you get the control channel and use those gain settings for trunk recorder. Some dongles use gain, lna and mixer and some just use gain. I have been looking for my notes. I set this up this past spring and then fluke season started and with my little guy wanting to fish all summer, I kinda put all sdr on hold.

Well with my adjustments the script runs fine-it seems as soon as you say the system type is "smartnet" it assumes a 800mhz or 400mhz band plan and sends the dongle up into the 800 mhz frequencies. I recollect trunk88 and unitrunker did the same and you needed to input the channels manually--I say this because in the scrolling I see these high frequencies being attempted and the of course it goes nowhere fast. Anyway thanks for the help I appreciate it. .... and tight lines on the fishin' trips huh!,

Status
Not open for further replies.