536 permanent avoids arent under certain conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRadioface

double pressing AVOID tells me that a channel (what we used to consider a frequency I guess) is permanently avoided, but upon reboot or range reset or new favorite scan list, the avoids do not seem permanently enabled. and thus I gotta tap avoid again to move on. I feel that I may wear this button out in no time at this rate. Yes I have updated the firmware and have used sentinel to add favorites to scan through.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
double pressing AVOID tells me that a channel (what we used to consider a frequency I guess) is permanently avoided, but upon reboot or range reset or new favorite scan list, the avoids do not seem permanently enabled. and thus I gotta tap avoid again to move on. I feel that I may wear this button out in no time at this rate. Yes I have updated the firmware and have used sentinel to add favorites to scan through.
If the "double avoid" is not working, try pressing the Function key and then the Avoid key right after it.

Ubbe

It's a fixed memory location for permanent avoids and you can only store 254 frequencies, way to little if you do range searches more than a few MHz and avoids the already known frequencies. It's one avoid setup for each profile.

/Ubbe

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It's a fixed memory location for permanent avoids and you can only store 254 frequencies, way to little if you do range searches more than a few MHz and avoids the already known frequencies. It's one avoid setup for each profile.

/Ubbe
I'm not sure that this is what the OP was asking about,

As far as a limit on the number of Avoids, when discussing avoiding during searches, and also in regards to Close Call hits, there is a limit to the number of avoids used; the OM indicates 250 as the number.

However, I don't believe that limit applies when discussing avoids in a Favorites list.

To the OP:
McRadioface,
Are you speaking of "Avoids" while doing a search, or utilizing Close Call? Or is this question regarding Avoids when scanning using a Favorites list>

McRadioface

hiegtx, i am referring to mashing the avoid button during scans from either my selected favorites or loaded up and enabled channels from the database. they dont seem to stick after reloading a new scan group, or when resetting the range or service types. im gonna try the Function and avoid combination next, as long as we dont venture too far towards the fabled Konami code, so let me try this for a few spins around the horn. Thank you for the replies.

Ubbe

I'm not sure that this is what the OP was asking about,

You're right. It looks as if he is scanning using the database and have a favorite list added, and when he loads another FL or change the miles in the range setting or reboot the scanner the avoids for the records in the DB are gone. I think that's how it is supposed to work and are designed by Uniden. Well, maybe not if you only switch the scanner off/on. It should keep the avoids if not the position or range somehow changes.

The avoid button will wear out quickly.
http://forums.radioreference.com/un...r-able-buy-keypad-bcd436hp-2.html#post2984485

/Ubbe

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
hiegtx, i am referring to mashing the avoid button during scans from either my selected favorites or loaded up and enabled channels from the database. they dont seem to stick after reloading a new scan group, or when resetting the range or service types. im gonna try the Function and avoid combination next, as long as we dont venture too far towards the fabled Konami code, so let me try this for a few spins around the horn. Thank you for the replies.
If you Avoid a frequency or talkgroup when scanning the main database, but then 'reload a new scan group', are you meaning a new Favorites list from Sentinel? Or are you just enabling another Favorites list already on the scanner (but was not being monitored)?

As Ubbe noted, if you are loading something from Sentinel, than that's going to overwrite what's in the scanner, in effect flushing your Avoids. I noted that in the OM (owner's manual) that it said that the limits for Avoids (during search) was "up to 250 for Temporary Avoids, and up to 250 for Permanent Avoids".

McRadioface

So the bottom line is that avoids are in a very volatile area of memory. Hopefully that will be different down the road. It seems intuitive to me that an avoid is an avoid, man. I dont wanna hear it for whatever reason.

Clearing an avoid should be a user option, not a factory default when disturbing any scan groups, or scan process.

Reasons being (i really tried to remain apolitical here):
1. lets say i dont like pennsylvania (not true, its just an example, but i really dont like ashburn, virginia - hi) and i dont want to hear anything to do with it ever -- i am vindictive and hold a grudge like that and want to ignore any channel/frequency forever with the push of a button.
2. qrm anywhere in the bands, 50mhz, and airbands specifically, I live in an urbanized area, prone to rfi.
2a. i dont mind scanning through a range, but some freqs just have qrm blobs and spikes, what i thought was a perm avoid should be a perm avoid so i dont have to waste time with static because i dont like to ride the squelch knob like a bar-fly on sailors payday.
3. too much chatter on tac channels (it could happen)
3a. not interested in most skywarn ham channels, so i avoid them adhocly when i feel like it (the allocation says skywarn but thats not exactly true 24/7, its mostly guys talking about ham stuff, i can clear the selected avoids when the actual storms happen, which is what i will actually do)
4. some dispatches can heard on other loaded channels, dont need to hear them all
5. airport atis going 24/7, k, dont need to hear atis all day.
6. too many ems calls on a channel, i can only take so much drama before i get numb to 5 suicides a day (which actually happened sunday here)
7. not being around all day to ride the squelch on noisy channels, to prevent a unnecessary recording taking up replay space with either static, chatter or ragchewing.
8. if i kick off a scan and reload a group i come back and hear an avoided channel sitting there open for however long it took me to fetch a coffee or beer, that chaps my hide.
9. some regional airports i just dont care to hear from.

All compelling cases for a real avoid approach.

Thank you all for your valuable replies, hopefully I can elmer here soon enough.

mule1075

Feed Provider
So the bottom line is that avoids are in a very volatile area of memory. Hopefully that will be different down the road. It seems intuitive to me that an avoid is an avoid, man. I dont wanna hear it for whatever reason.

Clearing an avoid should be a user option, not a factory default when disturbing any scan groups, or scan process.

1. lets say i dont like pennsylvania (not true, its just an example, but i really dont like ashburn, virginia - hi) and i dont want to hear anything to do with it ever -- i am vindictive and hold a grudge like that and want to ignore any channel/frequency forever with the push of a button.
2. qrm anywhere in the bands, 50mhz, and airbands specifically, I live in an urbanized area, prone to rfi.
2a. i dont mind scanning through a range, but some freqs just have qrm blobs and spikes, what i thought was a perm avoid should be a perm avoid so i dont have to waste time with static because i dont like to ride the squelch knob like a bar-fly on sailors payday.
3a. not interested in most skywarn ham channels, so i avoid them adhocly when i feel like it (the allocation says skywarn but thats not exactly true 24/7, its mostly guys talking about ham stuff, i can clear the selected avoids when the actual storms happen, which is what i will actually do)
4. some dispatches can heard on other loaded channels, dont need to hear them all
6. too many ems calls on a channel, i can only take so much drama before i get numb to 5 suicides a day (which actually happened sunday here)
7. not being around all day to ride the squelch on noisy channels, to prevent a unnecessary recording taking up replay space with either static, chatter or ragchewing.
8. if i kick off a scan and reload a group i come back and hear an avoided channel sitting there open for however long it took me to fetch a coffee or beer, that chaps my hide.

Thank you all for your valuable replies, hopefully I can elmer here soon enough.
You can avoid mostly everything you have outlined by setting up favorites lists and quick keys.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I suspect this might be "normal" behavior, for better or worse. There are some actions a user takes, but are not fully committed/written to the memory, until a normal power down (as in turning off the volume/power knob).

Doing some of those things, like a lost power reboot, loads the stuff in the memory before it is permanently committed. For example I can turn off a Favorites List Quick Key and unplug/remove power my scanner and that Favorites List Quick Key is alive again.

I'd try doing the double-tap the avoids, then do a "turn off the power" shut down and see what happens.

McRadioface

10. moving from my desk to the car, now i have to worry about my safety and others around me.
going mobile will require a power down and restart once i get in the car. Can guarantee my avoids will be active again. So instead of enjoying a good mobile session on my way to work, i gotta ride the avoid switch for 2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic. I cant just turn it on let it roll and listen casually. This is a drag. I really never know what will need avoidance from session to session or from day to day. talk radio is depressing and music here sucks.

Enh, I've made my point, hopefully it gets addressed appropriately.

Avoids are not permanent after a power cycle, location, range or service adjustment.
And it sucks, my needs are dynamic and if I want to avoid a single channel forever, I shouldnt have to use some counter-intuitive software to attempt it, I should press a button and be done with it until such time I decide to choose to clear it, period.

So on second thought I'm leaving the scanner at home, I dont need the headache. I'm so tired of the shortcoming (even after only 3 days!!) that I just wont ever turn it off so I dont have to deal with hearing andrews atis (skywarn, penn police, selected airports) again.

Its pretty humiliating to realize I spent 500 clams on it and I cant block a single channel forever, through updates, and all that other stuff, reminding me that my kid needed an upgrade to his computer and I got this shiny box instead. I'm pretty pissed off about it but I'm stubborn and I will power through it like every other crappy selfish parent with unnecessary hardware in order to justify the purchase to restore some sense of pride i had before this vortex, as you can see it really has me down. Those religious folks who keep knocking on the door? Same thing, go away. Avoid permanently. Dont come back all the time.

I've run this into the ground enough. Thanks again for the tips, gents.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Post #9 was the answer.

Just have to learn how to use the other buttons on the keypad.
Or use Sentinel to set up your FL's to scan only the systems/groups/channels/frequencies/sites You want to hear. That is the only permanent way to avoid the things you don't want to hear.

If your constantly moving around, and only want to use location/GPS & the full database. That is your choice and you will live with it or lump it. (Sounds like the latter is the current winner) :roll:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think what you want is there, you just have to work a little to get it. That is the creation of Favorites Lists and include only the frequencies, etc. that you might be interested in hearing. Stuff you don't, leave them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.