Trunking Confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay_Black

Hi everyone, this may have been explained somewhere in here, but darned if I could find it, or find an article that made any sense.

I pulled out an old Pro-2052 RadioShack scanner that I had stored away and thought I'd play around with adding some of the local trunked systems. I've managed to determine that the Nevada Highway Patrol uses an EDAC system, however with so many frequencies listed, I'm not sure if I need to add all of the frequencies listed, only the red, only the blue, or a combination of.

The Nevada Highway Patrol system is listed here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=706 - I live in Clark County, Nevada and would like to listen to these talk groups which are all for Las Vegas:

737 05-121 A
738 05-122 A
739 05-123 A
740 05-124 A
741 05-125 A
742 05-126 A
743 05-127 A
744 05-130 A

If anyone could help me figure out how to program this thing, I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Jay

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
EDACS systems are always programmed in the same sequence as the LCN as shown in the database. You must include all frequencies and not skip anything. However if a LCN skips a number you must do the same. The LCN is the little number to the left of the frequency. It stands for Logical Channel Number.

To learn about trunking, see this PDF written by UPMan;

http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/c/c7/Trunking_description.pdf

We have several things that will help with programming that radio.

Easier to Read Pro 2052 Scanner Manual

Programming Shortcut Pro-2052 - The RadioReference Wiki

Programming Shortcut Pro-2052 with new scanner addendum at end of page - The RadioReference Wiki

There is software that can address this radio. Even tho it's not supported anymore, the software called Scan Control remains available. See the URL below;

ScanControl Ver. 7.1

You will need a good old fashioned USB converter to make this work with today's PCs. There is a procedure for setting up the radio for the connection;

Radio Setup

and as for USB cables;

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Last edited:

JoeyC

Pick a site you can receive, program the freqs in order as stated above and see if the talkgroups are on that site. If not, you can program another site you are in range of hearing to test. Its possible you will only need to listen to one site to hear those talkgroups. I would pick the larger sites (simulcast) and those with the larger amount of frequencies to try first. You may or may not be able to get all of the Clark county sites to work depending on your antenna and location. You would only need to try other sites if your receiving location changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.