Easier programming 436 or 100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzNorm

New to digital scanners and looking at the 436hp and the 100. My big concern is programming. I’m 66 and have read horror stories about programming thru computer software. I want a scanner that’s easy to program and was leaning towards the Bcd436hp because I’ve read where the new 100 is hard to program. In my area Phoenix PD broadcast simulcast but I saw a video where the 436 picked up better than the 100. Is the 100 worth $200 more? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Tramagod

New to digital scanners and looking at the 436hp and the 100. My big concern is programming. I’m 66 and have read horror stories about programming thru computer software. I want a scanner that’s easy to program and was leaning towards the Bcd436hp because I’ve read where the new 100 is hard to program. In my area Phoenix PD broadcast simulcast but I saw a video where the 436 picked up better than the 100. Is the 100 worth $200 more? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

The programming is the same because they both use the same Sentinel program and use the same procedures manually. Whether or not the 100 is worth $200 more is only a question you can answer. Videos can be misleading, like a photo, a video can show what the originator wants you to see. I have a 436 and did have a 100. After using them side by side for two weeks I decided that the 100 did in fact perform marginally better, but it didn’t perform well enough to justify the $200 difference in my opinion so I sent it back for a refund, and yes, it was tested on a simulcast system. So before you make your decision do lots of research and don’t let someone else decide for you how you spend your money. Good luck on your decision and enjoy your scanner whichever you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ignore the "SDS100 is harder to program" hype. That's not correct. Basic programming for the SDS100 is exactly the same for the SDS100 and the 436HP or 536HP. If someone sent you a programming file for a 436HP, you could load that into an SDS100 just as well.

There is a learning curve for any of the new scanners, both Uniden & Whistler. But there is a lot of help available here on RadioReference, as well as a number of 'how-to' Youtube videos. You may be 66, but I've got a couple of years on you.

With either the 436HP or SDS100, you can update the main database using the Sentinel software, provided at no additional cost by Uniden. A download link can be found on this page. Once you do that, scanning can be as simple as entering your location, a range, and selecting the Service types of transmissions you want to hear. Then start scanning. As you get more comfortable with the scanner, you can tailor your Favorites lists to focus your listening on areas and agencies of interest.

Tramagod

Ignore the "SDS100 is harder to program" hype. That's not correct. Basic programming for the SDS100 is exactly the same for the SDS100 and the 436HP or 536HP. If someone sent you a programming file for a 436HP, you could load that into an SDS100 just as well.

There is a learning curve for any of the new scanners, both Uniden & Whistler. But there is a lot of help available here on RadioReference, as well as a number of 'how-to' Youtube videos. You may be 66, but I've got a couple of years on you.

With either the 436HP or SDS100, you can update the main database using the Sentinel software, provided at no additional cost by Uniden. A download link can be found on this page. Once you do that, scanning can be as simple as entering your location, a range, and selecting the Service types of transmissions you want to hear. Then start scanning. As you get more comfortable with the scanner, you can tailor your Favorites lists to focus your listening on areas and agencies of interest.

Well said.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Why not consider the Home Patrol II? I am 70+ and this is by far the easiest to program and use. You still should have a PC to update the DB.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your replies. Can you just program the zip code into both scanners? How well does that work?

Yes, and it works very well! You enter your zip code, and the radius distance you want to cover. Then select the services you want to monitor, ie; PD, FIRE, EMS, etc. Then as you scan, if you run across particular talk groups you don't want, just hit the AVOID key for a temporary block, or Function-AVOID for a semi-permanent block.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a 436 and did have a 100. After using them side by side for two weeks I decided that the 100 did in fact perform marginally better, but it didn’t perform well enough to justify the $200 difference in my opinion so I sent it back for a refund, and yes, it was tested on a simulcast system. So before you make your decision do lots of research and don’t let someone else decide for you how you spend your money.

I agree that the BCD436HP performs so well (for me), that I was never motivated to even try the SDS-100 or seek any other new and improved model for that matter. Granted the SDS-100 has some cool new features, but nothing I need. It also has a lot of issues I don't need. ;)

I should mention, it appears that the SDS-100 does cope with simulcast systems better in some locations for some people. It is best to try and get feedback on this issue from someone very near to your location.

Last edited:

rwier

Thanks everyone, all your responses were helpful. I think I may get the 436, it seems like I can’t go wrong.

I respectfully opine that you would be much happier scanning using Favorite Lists. These can be created using the Sentinel software. The Sentinel software for the 436 is free from Uniden and requires no purchase to download. Get the software and create two or three FLs. In the software, use "Export to hpe file" for each FL you create. "Zip" the "hpe" files and attach them to a future post in this thread.

Local 436 users in your area could save the zipped files to their computer, unzip them and import them into their Sentinel software. Then they could take a look at them, and even "real world" test them with their scanners (and report back suggestions). This all could be done without purchasing the scanner.

Yes, these same local users could export existing FLs previously created as hpe files, and attach them to a future post in this thread. Then you could copy them to your computer and import them into Sentinel as FLs. You could upload them to a new scanner and enjoy your scanning. But, in that event, you still wouldn't know how to fish.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone, all your responses were helpful. I think I may get the 436, it seems like I can’t go wrong.

I suggest you hop over to the Arizona page and ask if one scanner performs better than the others in your area.

There may be some issues with simulcast distortion. The 436 may, depending on your location, have some issues with this. The SDS 100 uses a different receive technology that is much more friendly toward simulcast systems.

AzNorm

Thanks Rob, some of what you said was a little over my head but I’ll keep in mind about the favorite list and definitely try it when I get my scanner

goodmore

The 100 has a beautiful screen. Some really love the info provided on it. Some could not care less.

The 436 for me was terrible with Simulcast distortion. I would like to see if the 100 does better, but the reviews on UHF and VHF have me waiting for Whistler.

I really believe it comes down to personal preference on what you want to monitor.

AzNorm

I’m still leaning towards the 436. It seems that it may be just what I need and I can start there and learn about programming from a computer. I don’t want to spend too much on a complicated scanner and then be discouraged with the programming.

AzNorm

I’m pretty set on the 436. I was just wondering if the gps system is worth getting. We travel quite a bit and it sounds good. Anyone have the gps and is it worth it?

Tramagod

I’m pretty set on the 436. I was just wondering if the gps system is worth getting. We travel quite a bit and it sounds good. Anyone have the gps and is it worth it?

Well worth it in my opinion. I use the Uniden GPS puck regularly on trips between Texas and Iowa and Texas to Pennsylvania and it works flawlessly. It’s basically plug and play, hook it up and go. I love it, it never misses a beat.

D

DaveNF2G

The latest scanners are extremely difficult to program for people who do not follow directions.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

I have used the Globalsat antenna and Jon's rechargeable antenna and both work "flawlessly," as someone said earlier. Jon is indisposed at the moment so you'll have to settle for an alternative. If you travel, it's worth every penny.

N9JIG

Sheriff
You seem to have your heart set on the 436, which is a great choice. Please be sure to update the database and firmware when you buy the radio, when using the ZIP Code mode it relies on accurate info in the database to work properly.

Sentinel software does the database update, it is free but only works in Windows, it does not work in MacOS, ChromeOS or on smartphones or iPads.

Most vendors offer to update your database and firmware for a fee when you buy the radio, if you do not have the means to do that yourself it might be worth the $40 extra but if you have a Windows PC do it yourself and save the money.

Remember too that the GPS is only worth the money if you plan on traveling with the radio, if you plan on only using it around home or around town don't bother with spending the money on it. If you do travel it is an awesome feature, well worth the money!

Status
Not open for further replies.