Yaesu ext speaker & auto radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a Yaesu FT-8900 in my 2016 Sorento. I also have a Yaesu MLS-100 external speaker plugged into it. The Sorento audio system has an auxillary input using a 3.5mm plug. I frequently plug my SDS100 scanner into it for better audio.

The Yaesu external speaker is near the floor on the passenger side and, frankly, sometimes it's not loud enough. It also uses a 3.5mm plug. I've searched the Yaesu web site and they no longer list the speaker so I can't find any specs on it.

Would it harm vehicle audio system if I plugged the 8900 external speaker connection to the aux input on the vehicle audio system?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I can't answer your question directly, but I can provide anecdotal evidence. I have the external speaker output from my Kenwood TM-V71A connected to the aux input on my Ford Expedition. It works fine.

FKimble

I was planning on connecting my Kenwood TM-71A to the 3.5mm external input on my 2010 Ford Ranger's radio. Before I did, I looked at my owners manual. It said the external input was for headphone level output, not speaker level output. So I have not tried it. I suspect if you keep the volume down it may work. Suggest you look at your owners manual or ask your car dealers service dept.

Frank KK4YTM

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The owner's manual only says there's an auxiliary input for the sound system, It's silent about anything but it's existence. When I plug anything into the input, the system recognizes it and switches from whatever I was listening to, to the aux.

I have to stop by the dealer this week so I'll try to ask. The actual techs are always secreted away but I'll see if I can get a security clearance to talk with one of them. It's about a thousand miles out of warranty so I can't try it than claim it's faulty if it doesn't work.

Failing that, I'll jump on one of the local nets and ask about it.

W5GX

Since it was more than likely designed for plugging in a small MP3 player, it's fair to assume headphone input levels. If you turn the volume down at the beginning and work up, you may find a good balance of volume without hissing. Or, work in a voltage divider in between.

Make sure you use the right kind of cable to connect for your purpose. I doubt the ham radio has a stereo plug, so use a mono cable to feed both left and right channels - if you so choose to. You could use a stereo cable and like it coming out of just one side.

I tried it on my Dodge Ram with an FT-7100, and it just didn't sound right. I want to build a small amp, using one of those Velleman kits. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.