Cannot Access Uniden Server for database updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyt4062

Looking for help with Sentinel updates. I have removed and reloaded the Sentinel program with version 10. I get a timeout/cannot connect to server message when attempting to updated either the firmware or the database. I have been able to do this effortlessly for a couple of years. Just the past month or so it times out after about 10 seconds. I called Uniden and they really had no idea how to find the problem.
Don

mitbr

Looking for help with Sentinel updates. I have removed and reloaded the Sentinel program with version 10. I get a timeout/cannot connect to server message when attempting to updated either the firmware or the database. I have been able to do this effortlessly for a couple of years. Just the past month or so it times out after about 10 seconds. I called Uniden and they really had no idea how to find the problem.
Don

Just did an update seems to be working here maybe check your security settings or firewall?
Tim

kyt4062

Perplexed

Hi Mitbr, I have looked as far as I know how for anything that might be blocking this one program, but, I am at a loss. I don't have problems accessing any other sites to download updates to programs. I have not changed anything (intentionally) in my computer or network settings. Is anyone aware of another way to access the Sentinel program or databases other than through the Sentinel software? Thanks.
Don

Ubbe

If you're using Windows then go to command prompt (click on start button and in search window type cmd and then click on the cmd.exe) In that black command window type tracert 69.15.51.147 and see if you have contact with Unidens server. It should display 10 to 20 rows of ip numbers and names and last row should by the 69.15.51.147 number. If it times out and stops after 2-3 rows you have local problems in your router.

Then check if you have database access by typing telnet 69.15.51.147 21 and it should answer "ftp service". Type quit and it should say that you are disconnected from Unidens ftp server.

If that doesn't work you have network problems and the 21 port for downloading files are blocked somewhere on the way to Unidens server.

/Ubbe

kyt4062

Ubbe, Thanks for the detailed instructions. With the Tracecert command, I get only as far as the 10th line, with ips65-47-204-22.z204-47-65. customer.algx.net [65.47.204.22] and it times out. That does mean anything to you? This is beyond my level of knowledge.
Don

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I should note that I also temporarily turned off my windows firewall with no change in the results.
Who is your internet service provider? Some block your access to ftp sites, which is used by the database updater.

Ubbe

Hiegtx are right. Your internet provider has a routing problem to unidens server. You better alert them of that ip number where it stops as the following ip are the one that have the problem.

/Ubbe

belvdr

No longer interested in living
What is the result of the telnet test? Traceroute timeouts are common and are not definitive.

If it is a routing problem, it is likely not your ISP, but they can help isolate where it is failing. Can you post the traceroute output in its entirety?

kyt4062

I connected my ISP and they get identical results as I do. Their only "suggestion" was to get a static IP address. The TELNET command worked just as Ubbe said it should. Does that mean I should be able to conduct an FTP from/to Uniden? I am attaching the TRACERT screen shot. I cut off my computer IP on the advice of my ISP.tracert screenshot.jpg
Any ideas?
Don

Ubbe

I was a bit unclear. Your trace did not stop, it continued and was complete to Unidens server 69.15.51.147 and are ok.
The telenet test also works so everything is ok with your connection and you have to look for a Windows/Sentinel problem.
Maybe it is a security problem with access rights. Try to reinstall Sentinel by right click on the install file and select to run as administrator.

/Ubbe

kyt4062

Ubbe, Thank you for getting back to me. You are far more knowledgeable than the tech people at my ISP! I asked them if the destination IP address showed up in the route trace, did that mean the connection was complete and they said no, the two timed-out hops meant it didn't make it. I have deleted and downloaded the Sentinel program twice with the same results. I will keep fiddling with it. Thanks again for taking the time to help.
Don

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The url of the ftp server is -> ftp://ftp.homepatrol.com/BCDx36HP/
Copy & Paste that url in your browser to see if you can access the server. You should get a login prompt.

Using nslookup on "homepatrol.com/BCDx36HP/" comes back with addresses of 198.105.254.114 and 198.105.244.114 so I don't think using IP address 69.15.51.147 is a valid test.

Ubbe ,
I've seen just about everyone trying to help on Sentinel problems suggest to run Sentinel as Admin. No need because Sentinel runs automatically as Admin. How you can tell is by starting Sentinel, if you get the UAC prompt then it's running elevated Admin.

Last edited:

kyt4062

I do get a username/login screen to open up at URL ftp://ftp.homepatrol.com/BCDx36HP/ . I cannot complete the route trace on either 198... address. The Sentinel software times out at 10 seconds while attempting to download master db.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I did a tracert just now. I get the "Request timed out" on 198.105.254.114 after 9 and 198.105.244.114 after 12. I'm able to update the scanner firmware using Sentinel so therefore, I don't think tracert is a valid test.

Who is your ISP?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The only thing I can think of is the FTP connection is being throttled by your ISP causing timeouts.

Ubbe

Maybe it's different IPs depending of where the DNS server is situated? It's the IP my computer connects to when downloading the DB. As the 69... works and 198... does not, could you enter the homepatrol.com in the computers local routing list to point at the 69... address?

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts and edit with notepad and add a line:
69.15.51.147 homepatrol.com

/Ubbe

kyt4062

Ubbe, I added that IP to the Hosts file, but it had no effect. How would I monitor the FTP event on my computer? I would like to see where the sentinel program is pointing to for the database download.

Status
Not open for further replies.