Upgrading to digital scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcw8118

Hello

I’m looking to upgrade from a RadioShack triple trunking analog radio that I’ve been using in the wicomico and Worcester county areas for years. It seems there has been some rebanding as well as switchover to digital as well. Phase 25 type 2 seems to be what I need to look for to get back to my public safety and fire/ems listening. I was pretty good way back when entering the frequencies by hand and adding specific groups to listen to only what I wanted instead of just countywide trunking.

Can someone give me some up to date recommendations on what is needed for me to get back to listening and ya programming become much easier just by connecting to a computer or uploading a database and you’re good to go?

Thanks

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Two radios seem to do well on P25 Phase 2 digital simulcast systems that both Wicomico and Worcester have recently installed. One is a scanner: Uniden SDS100; the other is a pager: Unication G4 (or G5.) The Uniden is more successfully programmed by using a computer, and the Unications require it. There are a few other scanners that can *technically* receive P25P2 systems, but they do not do as good a job as the two mentioned above. These radios are a bit complicated to program and use, but if you are comfortable with computers and Windows, it's not too difficult. The Unications are probably better receivers than the Uniden, but since they are not scanners, they are invariably less flexible than the SDS100 (but slightly less expensive.) I own both, but I find myself using the SDS100 more often.

Last edited:
As I wrote above I have been having issues in Western Maryland, but in your area, my BCD436 handheld has worked great. When I go to the beach, I put in Ocean City's zip code and immediately OCPD, OCFD, Wicomico, Worcester, 4 or 5 MSP Barracks, DSP, DNR, etc. all come in loud and clear. Hope that helps.

Mcw8118

Thanks for the fast responses and I will look into them. Is it pretty easy to turn on and off different talk groups? So let’s says I want county wide communication one day and the next just sheriffs office or any combination.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
As I wrote above I have been having issues in Western Maryland, but in your area, my BCD436 handheld has worked great. When I go to the beach, I put in Ocean City's zip code and immediately OCPD, OCFD, Wicomico, Worcester, 4 or 5 MSP Barracks, DSP, DNR, etc. all come in loud and clear. Hope that helps.

I've asked some questions, but so far you haven't answered them directly - and that makes it difficult diagnose your programming issue. So I'll ask again, and add some more:

What is the version of the database installed in your radio?

What range setting are you using?

What Zip Code are you using when in Western Md / Allegany County?

[you also posted this message in the wrong subforum, I just happened to see it]

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Mcw8118 - I recommend a Whistler scanner with Phase II capability. I suggest waiting until 2019 when the NEW scanners from Whistler come out. they will be Phase II with a SDR tuner and Simulcast capability. the NEW scanners can also Receive NXDN and DMR for FREE, unlike Uniden.
they also have Bluetooth Audio for using Wireless Headphones with the Scanner.
Programming a Whistler scanner is Simpler than Uniden. you need a PC windows computer and the Scanner comes with the USB cable you need. the Scanner itself comes with a SD memory card, and it has the Entire USA & Canada Database on it. Whistler has an agreement with Radio Reference to use its Database on its Scanners, its Completely FREE to use.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the fast responses and I will look into them. Is it pretty easy to turn on and off different talk groups? So let’s says I want county wide communication one day and the next just sheriffs office or any combination.

Yes, much easier to "Avoid" (the new Uniden terminology for lockout) TGs than it would be v. the Unication G4 / G5 pager option - which is another reason why I recommend the SDS100. I've used mine on both the Worcester and Wicomico systems, and it works flawlessly. In fact, you can program Favorites lists for the unique config you might want to use on a particular day - it's extremely flexible once you learn how it works. As far as Whistler options - they don't offer a good option yet. They plan on releasing a simulcast P25P2 optimized radio some time next year, but as of right now, it's just vaporware. Uniden uses the RRDB as it base download, and updates are available each week for free. Programming via PC is simple, doesn't require a special driver installation process, and Uniden's Sentinel software is a little less convoluted than Whistler's EZ-Scan. A SD card, rechargeable battery, charger / wall adapter and USB power / programming cable are included.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mcw8118 - I recommend a Whistler scanner with Phase II capability. I suggest waiting until 2019 when the NEW scanners from Whistler come out. they will be Phase II with a SDR tuner and Simulcast capability. the NEW scanners can also Receive NXDN and DMR for FREE, unlike Uniden.
they also have Bluetooth Audio for using Wireless Headphones with the Scanner.

If you're talking about the TRX-100 and 200, they are currently vaporware. No one has a firm handle on their capabilities as yet, and there's been no firm word as to when they'll show up. And from most reports, Whistler is a bit behind on DMR and NXDN capability. Uniden has them beat there. As for simulcast issues, at least on some, but not all systems, the SDS100 does better than the other Unidens. But this is not a hard and fast rule.

Programming a Whistler scanner is Simpler than Uniden. you need a PC windows computer and the Scanner comes with the USB cable you need. the Scanner itself comes with a SD memory card, and it has the Entire USA & Canada Database on it. Whistler has an agreement with Radio Reference to use its Database on its Scanners, its Completely FREE to use.

Uniden also has this same agreement for their 436hp, 536hp and SDS100 series. The Unidens also use a SD card. One of the biggest differences between the 2 is that the Unidens are using an evolved DMA technology, while Whistler uses Object Oriented. One needs to choose which one they like better.

Mike

I've asked some questions, but so far you haven't answered them directly - and that makes it difficult diagnose your programming issue. So I'll ask again, and add some more:

What is the version of the database installed in your radio?

What range setting are you using?

What Zip Code are you using when in Western Md / Allegany County?

[you also posted this message in the wrong subforum, I just happened to see it]
Sorry, I will make the changes next time I head west. Zip 21502, 30 mile range, I did a recent update just before my trip to Cumberland last weekend but I don't think I enabled FIRST. Thanks Maus 92 for the help.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
ka3iiz - I am not a fan of the Uniden programing method. also, not a fan of the Paywall Uniden has placed on its Radios, they should give you Everything day one, without having to pay for Each "upgrade" even though the Radio is "capable" of Digital reception. In general Dislike both Whistler and Uniden for not supporting CW, LSB, USB or even Broadcast AM-FM for that matter. Would have liked D-star, Fusion and other HAM Digital standards. and While both Uniden and Whistler have software app, its NOT Remote Control software, no Bandscope app on the PC.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I will make the changes next time I head west. Zip 21502, 30 mile range, I did a recent update just before my trip to Cumberland last weekend but I don't think I enabled FIRST. Thanks Maus 92 for the help.

It seems that you figured out your programming / configuration error - other than an old database version, that had to be the issue since others with the exact same radio are not experiencing problems in Allegany County.

The reason I asked about your Range setting is that the RRDB has bad centroid coordinates for one of the FIRST simulcast sites that serves Allegany and Garrett counties. If your Range setting was too small, that *might* have been an issue. But you've stated that your setting is 30, so it would not have made a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.