How do you answer the question of why you monitor scanner traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanner_Rider

A friend asked me the other day why I always have my scanner running.

After thinking for a minute or two, I told him it was just a 45 year old habit that started when I was a early teen and part of the local police explorers and listened to the LEOs who I knew and mentored our club. Then came my mid teen to early 20s street drag racing period and we put our scanners in our trucks to listen to the traffic at the hang out so we knew which areas not to go to for a street drag.

Now as a old adult homeowner I listen because it's raw feed safety information for my home area and since fewer truckers use their CBs in this cellular age , a scanner in the vehicle offers better information of accidents or road blockages on the road ahead.. Also as when I was a police explorer young teen, I still have friends who are LEOs and it's reassuring to hear them patrol the area and know they are watching my place and hearing them end their tour as they park their vehicles at their homes

He seemed surprised when I told him now that I have been able to retire, I keep my scanner on 24/7 and just lower the volume as I sleep to avoid having to bother with an alarm clock as the morning shift change and school zone traffic wakes me and the pre digital era dispatchers still over and out close a traffic sequence with the time, so I don' have to look at my clock either as I decide if I want to get up or go back to bed.

So how do you answer the question of why you monitor scanner traffic?

CrabbyMilton

I started scanning back in 1980 and have been hooked ever since and no sign of losing interest.
I have a life long interest in buses and fire apparatus and try to keep track of where the apparatus are responding and the issues that take place on transit and school buses is entertaining. Plus loving what's going on behind the scenes regardless of what I'm monitoring at the time.
Other than that, I just love to have the scanner on every waking hour when I'm at home and even in the car at times just to get a cross section of things.
Single channel monitoring is the rule when I'm watching TV and that could be anything such as an FD or scanning mobile (repeater in
puts) or a railroad or aircraft frequency.

Hans13

For me, it's some enjoyment, some learning, and some safety. I feel more informed and connected listening to local traffic; including traffic other than public safety.

AlphaFive

why

Good Post,, also an explorer in the late 70's and early 80's, how cool was it to walk around with a crystal-portable scanner on your hip?? You had to go down to R/S and buy the crystals for your departments frequency.. strap on the four channel scanner, and you are "one of the guys", haaa , oh yeah.
Regarding what I say to questions.. I am a collector, I band search 24/7 for what I have yet to find. I try to explain to people that I enjoy searching, as opposed to perhaps listening to one thing. Listening to a system is great and certainly worthy, I just enjoy collecting, logging, and doing that over again..Thank you for the post.

Last edited:

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Situational awareness. Same reason why I refuse to sit with my back to the door of any establishment. Same reason why my head is always on a swivel when I am anywhere other than my house. I just like knowing what's going on around me at any given time.

n1das

Situational awareness. Same reason why I refuse to sit with my back to the door of any establishment. Same reason why my head is always on a swivel when I am anywhere other than my house. I just like knowing what's going on around me at any given time.
Same here. For me it also goes along with being an electronics hobbyist with an interest in the technology of radio, a licensed ham operator, a licensed GMRS user, and as an electrical engineer by training.

"In God we trust. All others we monitor."

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I got my start in the early 70's with a 10 channel regency crystal scanner thne progressed up 1st handheld Bearcat 4 6 thin scan then a bearcat 100 programmable then a regency HX1000. Wanted to know what was going on around me now it is used to know where my resources when I need them or if I or my crew are needed.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Why I started

My interest began as a storm spotter so I knew what the local law enforcement was doing and seeing during severe weather watches and warnings. My first scanner was a 4 crystal RS model that I still have.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

I help maintain/manage subscribers on a 4 site P25 system. It is crucial that I keep up
with the users not only on my system but our neighboring mutual aid systems.

Oh and like everyone else I guess I am also nosy :cool::D

Marshall KE4ZNR

Cable TV Outrageous!

A friend asked me the other day why I always have my scanner running.

After thinking for a minute or two, I told him it was just a 45 year old habit that started when I was a early teen and part of the local police explorers and listened to the LEOs who I knew and mentored our club. Then came my mid teen to early 20s street drag racing period and we put our scanners in our trucks to listen to the traffic at the hang out so we knew which areas not to go to for a street drag.

Now as a old adult homeowner I listen because it's raw feed safety information for my home area and since fewer truckers use their CBs in this cellular age , a scanner in the vehicle offers better information of accidents or road blockages on the road ahead.. Also as when I was a police explorer young teen, I still have friends who are LEOs and it's reassuring to hear them patrol the area and know they are watching my place and hearing them end their tour as they park their vehicles at their homes

He seemed surprised when I told him now that I have been able to retire, I keep my scanner on 24/7 and just lower the volume as I sleep to avoid having to bother with an alarm clock as the morning shift change and school zone traffic wakes me and the pre digital era dispatchers still over and out close a traffic sequence with the time, so I don' have to look at my clock either as I decide if I want to get up or go back to bed.

For the most part, out of boredom and for a an answer to "How do the officers do their job?" I did NOT want to get cable and I already had a radio and had to have something running in the background. Plus the HAM's would talk about things I found interesting and helpful. These guys are the best. I have another reason I will send to you in PM. :) ;)

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You can tell people that scanner monitoring satisfies your voyeuristic tendencies without having to peer into your neighbors windows. :) If they're your neighbors, they'll be thankful.

Hans13

You can tell people that scanner monitoring satisfies your voyeuristic tendencies without having to peer into your neighbors windows. :) If they're your neighbors, they'll be thankful.

Wait, we can't do both? lol

n1das

In God we trust. All others we monitor. :)

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Great thread and great replies.
I got my start many years ago when i was interested in FD stuff. Then realized i like to tinker with them and do other electronics which led me to an 8 year job with a 2-way radio company. Till the owner sold the shop.
Then it just became a habit to carry a radio and quietly monitor stuff in my area. I also enjoy sending out pages to IPN (IncidentPageNetwork) so that has helped me keep my interest in scanners and radios going.

n1das

My first scanner was a Heathkit GR-1132 VHF-Lo/Hi/UHF 8-channel crystal scanner which I built myself in 1977. I was a freshman in high school at the time. I listened to my local PD and FD activity on a multiband tuneable receiver before that.

Today I am an Electromagnetic Interference / Compatibility (EMI/EMC) Engineer and I still have my scanners. A spectrum analyzer is a principle tool in my line of work and it could be thought of as a glorified "scanner". It also goes right along with being an Amateur Radio operator and an electronics hobbyist for much of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.