• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-888S programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW7MGW

I down loaded two bits of software to program the Baofeng BF-888S I started with the dedicated software, on reading frequencies it said VHF but showed UHF frequencies on trying to alter I had to change the band to UHF4 [400-470 Mhz] which auto wiped what was on it, so I entered correct frequencies however on writing the radio did a Chinese announcement and sounded a tone.

So I tried CHIRP this did allow me to write the correct frequencies, however the announcement is in Chinese so I returned to the dedicated software, it will read, but not write. So can't find how to get it back to English.

GW7MGW

I have found it does write to radio with the HKT-480 program, but it is selective in what it writes. So clear radio and then read to show cleared which it has, load up saved parameters and re-write to radio, the frequencies have been written to radio but still in Chinese language.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I down loaded two bits of software to program the Baofeng BF-888S I started with the dedicated software, on reading frequencies it said VHF but showed UHF frequencies on trying to alter I had to change the band to UHF4 [400-470 Mhz] which auto wiped what was on it, so I entered correct frequencies however on writing the radio did a Chinese announcement and sounded a tone.

So I tried CHIRP this did allow me to write the correct frequencies, however the announcement is in Chinese so I returned to the dedicated software, it will read, but not write. So can't find how to get it back to English.

Using current version of Chirp, load the 888 from the radio, on the left side of the screen you'll see a tab for settings, click on that. The first choice in basic settings is to enable voice, the second lets you choose English or Chinese.

GW7MGW

I have tried looking at settings in Chirp, there are no options given, just a blank window. With the HKT-480 Radio Program SoftWare 888 I can save settings, then clear radio, test it is in fact cleared, the load up saved settings, alter to English and up load to radio, it will upload all frequencies but not change language.

I think what I need is saved settings from some one else's radio and try loading them in?

Also some times it goes to transmit without touching PTT.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
What frequencies are you trying to enter? If I remember correctly, the 888s are UHF only.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have tried looking at settings in Chirp, there are no options given, just a blank window.

I think what I need is saved settings from some one else's radio and try loading them in?

Also some times it goes to transmit without touching PTT.

The tx issue sounds like a problem with the radio, not the software.

Send me a pm and we will figure out how to get my code plug from chirp to you.

GW7MGW

I have been trying to enter the PMR446 group of frequencies, I also tried other 70 cm frequencies, took them out to try today, had to switch them off, as they would without touching them start to transmit. The idea was to keep in touch with my wife while on out push bikes. So I can simply say stop please my chains come off etc. Can use phone in most places, but one has to stop to answer it.

GW7MGW

Thank you to N1GAW I got the file and uploaded to radios, untouched, then switched off and on, still in Chinese and downloading from radios found frequencies had changed to those on your file, but nothing showing where you had all the language settings, and still radios from time to time, go into transmit without touching the PTT and with nothing plugged in, seems these radios are useless, I have it seems bought faulty radios, the Chinese I could live with, auto transmitting I can't.

GW7MGW

You are correct vox is on, however un-tick and write to radio, the read again, and it is ticked, can't turn it off. In CHIRP it is in settings which it will not show. So yes that is reason why it goes to transmit, but can't turn off I will try with head set, maybe less sensitive? I have also tried changing gain for VOX what ever I do stays at 5. I tried changing the file NIGAW sent me to my frequancies and English with VOX off and it changes frequancies but VOX stays on and language stuck in Chinese.

khaytsus

You are correct vox is on, however un-tick and write to radio, the read again, and it is ticked, can't turn it off. In CHIRP it is in settings which it will not show. So yes that is reason why it goes to transmit, but can't turn off I will try with head set, maybe less sensitive? I have also tried changing gain for VOX what ever I do stays at 5. I tried changing the file NIGAW sent me to my frequancies and English with VOX off and it changes frequancies but VOX stays on and language stuck in Chinese.
You must have some really oddball 888 device. Mine all work just fine. Have you tried turning off VOX on the radio? Set the radio to channel 1, hold the PTT and MONI buttons and turn it on. That should toggle VOX on or off.

And for english/chinese, same thing but on channel 15.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I looked at a pair of my friend's 888s and I can't see where they're approved for anything. The OP may have some paperweights now.

(In defense of my friend, he bought a pair when they first came out and had to dig down into the bottom of a box to find them.)

khaytsus

I looked at a pair of my friend's 888s and I can't see where they're approved for anything. The OP may have some paperweights now.

(In defense of my friend, he bought a pair when they first came out and had to dig down into the bottom of a box to find them.)
They're FINE for ham use. No, they shouldn't be used for other services. Everyone always has to dredge that up as if nobody knows that.

GW7MGW

You must have some really oddball 888 device. Mine all work just fine. Have you tried turning off VOX on the radio? Set the radio to channel 1, hold the PTT and MONI buttons and turn it on. That should toggle VOX on or off.

And for english/chinese, same thing but on channel 15.
Spot on, radios now usable, at last I can use the local repeater again, 73 GW7MGW, ex VP8BKM and VR2ZEP.

P.S. Did upload with HKT-480 Radio Program SoftWare and it confirms VOX is now off, and English voice. Are there any other radio short cuts?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I take back all the bad stuff I said. There's a whole different set of rules because I just noticed you're on the other side of the pond.

khaytsus

Spot on, radios now usable, at last I can use the local repeater again, 73 GW7MGW, ex VP8BKM and VR2ZEP.

P.S. Did upload with HKT-480 Radio Program SoftWare and it confirms VOX is now off, and English voice. Are there any other radio short cuts?

BF888 BF888S User Manual - Miklor

A few, but those are the most useful ones.. Maybe the scan one, if you want to use a scan function.

GW7MGW

Thank you, just found user manual under the plastic tray in box they came in, and KK4JUG not permitted in UK for transmitting on PMR446 group of frequencies, technically it needs the correct label, however nothing to stop
listening to the genuine PMR446 radios the grand children have, and unlike the genuine radios I can also talk on repeater with same radio.

I don't know what the low power is, don't have adapters to use the VSWR meter so could be over the 500 mW limit, but even if it is, it would not be far over limit, so I would not expect our authorities to really be worried about not having the required label.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, just found user manual under the plastic tray in box they came in, and KK4JUG not permitted in UK for transmitting on PMR446 group of frequencies, technically it needs the correct label, however nothing to stop
listening to the genuine PMR446 radios the grand children have, and unlike the genuine radios I can also talk on repeater with same radio.

I don't know what the low power is, don't have adapters to use the VSWR meter so could be over the 500 mW limit, but even if it is, it would not be far over limit, so I would not expect our authorities to really be worried about not having the required label.

That's fine. When I noticed you were in the United Kingdom, I bowed out because I'm not familiar with the laws there and I certainly don't have a dog in that fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.