• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Software & Programing Cable Harris P7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
How do I get my hands on software and programing cable for a Harris P7200?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Lots and lots of money. ProGrammer/RPM/RPM2 is expensive and Harris won't sell the trunking capable version of it to an individual. In fact they basically won't sell anything to you if you don't have a contract with them.

The "friend network" is really your only chance.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Can you blame them? They can't be in a position where they're selling stuff to hobbyists that facilitate those hobbyists listening in on, or maybe even interfering, with, their customer's systems. It wasn't so bad in the pre-Harris days, but these days, if you don't have a Harris contract in hand and have spent at least a six figure sum of money with them, you'll be lucky if they even answer the phone when you call.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I worked tech support in TAC for 11-1/2 years prior to getting promoted into System Engineering. (I designed and installed new P-25 systems for DoD customers until I retired in 2012.)

It was different then. From the time I came onboard in Lynchburg (1998) until the time Harris acquired our unit from M/A-Com Corporation, hams, individuals, volunteer groups, etc. were gladly helped during normal business hours at no charge, on a first come first served basis. (Paid $$$ priority customers when to the top of the list, and got supported 24/7/365.)

Once Harris took control, that changed......BIGTIME !

Most tech support was dumped onto the big regional dealers, or as Harris called them, Regional Centers of Excellence (RCE's). Only after dealing with them, might you be able to contact TAC directly.

Not long afterward, Harris when through massive lay-offs, or as they euphemistically referred to it.....A Workforce Reduction. Thousands got canned. Over 50, with more than 5 years in the company..... to the door you were headed.

Now the place is populated with young, computer savvy types who know little about two-way radio, and have the Green Card!

From the old-timers who are still there, Harris is not a pleasant place to work anymore..... :cry::cry::cry:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Motorola did pretty much the same thing. But at least you can call them and speak to an engineer in tech support without having to cough up a certified letter of credit and a support contract ID number. However, the engineer you speak to may not know anything about any product that isn't a currently produced model.

Back in the day when the Astro Saber was the current hot item, you could call M tech support and get to talk to somebody who could discuss the finer points of aligning an early revision Motrac which had a fair number of vacuum tubes in it. Or anything else. Motrac, Motran, Mocom 70 (not that very many of those EVER needed to be repaired, what an absolute TANK of a radio!), Micor, Mitrek, Syntor, SyntorX, SyntorX9000....and HT220 to Astro Saber on the portable side. They could talk shop with you about the whole project line and didn't mind doing it. Didn't matter if you were just a meddling ham.

Heck, I was able to get tech support on an ancient Micor based repeater a customer was still using just a few years ago.

supersleuth

I’ve had pretty good luck with Harris TAC granted my agency did by about $40,000.00 worth of stuff from them. But I’ve also emailed a specific person there each time I’ve had an issue, and she’s always been very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.