Odd offset (narrow band) IC-208H

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
VHF.09250 Narrow 2.5 TS. Is it possible with/without computer programming?

I'm waiting on the cable, have the software to program with the cable.

I was wondering if it is possible to do this without the cable as the radio is in hand.

Please advise

Thank you for your time.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The smallest step this radio can resolve is 5Khz. Also 10Khz and 12.5Khz steps. The computer software cannot change this. Therefore, you will get close, but not exactly on frequency. You will not likely notice any problems. All of this is basically true of all amateur transceivers. Ham radio is not narrow banded and, therefore, such precision is not needed in the ham bands.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, some repeaters are going to narrow band, because they are seeing the writing on the wall.

Thank you for your response.

RFI-EMI-GUY

VHF.09250 Narrow 2.5 TS. Is it possible with/without computer programming?

I'm waiting on the cable, have the software to program with the cable.

I was wondering if it is possible to do this without the cable as the radio is in hand.

Please advise

Thank you for your time.
Where would you find this odd channel. As far as I know only a small number of VHF public safety mutual aid channels require that channel center.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
I actually just picked the freq off the top of my head. I also program PS radios so it probably just came to my mind. It isn't going to be used on out of band so no need to flame or repeat what has been said 100 times about using amateur radios outside of the amateur band, I have Motorola and Icom radios for that.

I know of a couple people that want to put up NB repeaters for amateur use so that was the reason for my question. I didn't know if chirp or the Icom software would allow it enter the exact freq and have the radio accept it.

The reason for the "Writing on the wall" comment, is the used equipment market, and how repeater pairs are getting harder to come by in some areas and the fact , at least in my area, many repeater owners use surplus commercial/PS equipment for their repeaters.

At this time it is purely academic as the repeaters are not on the air and I am not aware if they have received a freq pair from the coordinator yet. It is something I was thinking of when/if they get what they were looking for.

Kinda strange that while the radio will do NBFM the TS wont allow that freq to be entered exactly.

Thank you for your time, thought maybe I missed something.

73's

Status
Not open for further replies.